cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV'ers with No Goodyear G670 Problems

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Tell us how pleased you are with your G670 on your Class A.
On my Second set, no problems
80 REPLIES 80

Explorer
Explorer
Mine are 7 years and 40,000 miles old. They're fine but nearing replacement due to wear. I did have a good alignment done at time of installation and insisted that the caster get set to 4-1/2 degrees. I have a theory that reduced caster may cause rivering.

I did move the front tires to a rear position as their outside edges were worn a bit from cornering 10,000 miles ago.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

dpscll
Explorer
Explorer
Had them 6 years with 25,000 miles and then a front tire blowout. Switched to Michelins 50,000 miles ago and never regretted it.

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the reason for this thread. If a tire brand had 5% of their tires defective, then over 90% of the owners (those who got good ones) would be pleased with that brand.

So if someone wants to know if a particular brand has very poor quality control, he doesn't care about the 90,000 owners who got good tires. He'd want to know about the 10,000 who got bad tires.

From what I've read on this forum, there are many, many people who have had problems with the G670 tires. Perhaps more than any other brand and model.

I'm in that group. 5 were changed before I'd accept delivery of my new RV. Then, due to rivering wear,the steer tires had to be replaced at about 25k and the rears at about 35k.

So, for the many people who got good G670's, I am sincerely happy for you.

CountryCoachrv
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am one of the fortunate ones, My G670s, 295/80R,22.5, are just over 7 years old and knock on wood, no issues, no rivering and double knock on wood, NO blowouts.
CC Coach RVer

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Topflite for all that good, logical information. Most I have said before as its never anyone's fault on here it always the product that fails. One reason you see so many Goodyears bashers on here as there are so many Goodyears on the road as its the tire of choice for most coach builders . By charts they all speak of I could run 100 lb in the fronts and 90 in the rear on my coach but run 115 in front and 110 in rear. Why do you want to be on the line? Letting pressure out does not improve your ride where it is noticeable. It's all in your head. One thing people don't realize is when you bounce up and down the road, you create more weight pushing down on those tires past what the coach weighs setting still. Don't believe that? Go jump up and down on a scale and you will see what i mean. I will always inflate 10 to 15 percent past what chats say for my load but never past cold pressure max on the tire. Never had a problem.....never.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Have 7 year old G670 275/70/22.5 with no problem.

In over 40 years of RVing with different typs of RV's. I only have had 2 blow outs. One of them was a front steer. Both were XRV 235/80/22.5 Michelin's

I will never have them for a steer again or rear. Even if they would be $200 a tire cheaper.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Tire inflation charts, according to the engineer, are the minimum pressure for the weight listed, his words. Can't remember the last time I saw a MH tire that showed signs of overinflation, but definitely have seen enough of them showing signs of underinflation.

The shock does not have to be wore out, it can simply be undersized for the job. I don't believe a shock has to be wore out to underperform. Have seen plenty of shocks that were wore out that showed no signs of leakage. As to Spartan's recommendation, I would take that with a grain of salt, if it were such a problem for them why is it that they deliver chassis' with GY's on them? If it is a problem and they deliver with GY's than shame on them. Not very responsible on their part is it? They should refuse to do so, bet they won't.

I am glad you are happy with your Mickey's and that they are performing well for you, but in case you haven't noticed there are a lot of people who will not run them for one reason or another. Doesn't mean all of them are bad, it just means that some have had bad luck with them. As I have said before consumers are a funny lot, it is never their fault, it is always the manufacturers. Have a good day.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
That ? was posed to him, and as I recall his response was that tire inflation charts indicated the minimum air pressure for the load. So if you weigh your coach and use the number indicated by the chart you are inflating for the ride, and that is what so many are interested in.

>>>>>Have you ever heard of overinflation? No where on the table does it say minimum pressure. Truck and RV tires publish inflation tables because the load can vary. The manufacturer is publishing the table so that the tire is inflated properly, and the tire contact to the road is proper. If you are carrying a light load, and you inflate the tire to the maximum pressure, only the center of the tire tread is contacting the road, and therefore it is overinflated. Traction will be affected. That is why when the tires are used in a dual configuration, the pressures tend to be lower, cause you have 2 tires to carry the load. The manufacturers spend a lot of time developing these inflation tables. Additionally, when a manufacturer specifies a specific inflation pressure, they are assuming liability for that information. It would behoove you to follow it and not just blindly inflate to maximmum pressure.

As to why one brand does and one brand doesn't do something, probably has something to do with different tire construction and compounds.

>>>>Precisely, and that is whatmakes some tires better than others.

As to what is on high value coaches, has probably more to do with what is spec'd by manufacturer. One thing I do also know about it, what tires come on new MH's has a lot to do with price and availability at the time of production. My parents DS on a Spartan came with GY 670's and he has had no wear problems, but then he hasn't weighed his coach either. For the record he just replaced them with the same, he figured he was on borrowed time as they were going on 8 years. I am sure other top MH's have also had GY's installed. I would even be willing to bet there are other top of the line MH's that came with other brands installed.

As to shops checking one's suspension, I personally haven't been around a shop that can legitamately check out shocks on a 40 foot MH. Tough to do a bounce test unless they have a resident elephant on site. Then again, as he said, the shock does not have to be worn out, it may just not be sufficient to do the job. I seem to recall there was at one time a problem with FSD's and CC's. It seems that the shocks were undersized and they were replaced by either CC or Koni, don't remember which. Don't remember what brand of shock was used either must be my CRS.

>>>>>Generally, if there is no visible signs of leakage, the shock is most probably still good. Additionally, the characteristic rivering issue seems to afflict the Goodyears at a much higher rate than other brands. I guess all those with the rivering issue have bad shocks and don't know how to inflate tires.

But, when all is said and done, you and others can continue to blame the manufacturers for all your problems, it is your tire and it certainly is your money. But one has to wonder why there are so many people out there that have never had the problem. Maybe they haven't weighed their MH's and they have just been lucky. Or maybe they have chosen to ignore conventional wisdom and inflate to the coach sticker or tire pressure marked on the tire. Or is it that they know something others don't? One has to wonder

>>>>>In the end, I have changed nothing else on my coach except the tires. I am following the Michelin inflation tables, and riding on the same shocks. Miraculously my rivering issue has gone away. The switch has worked for me, and I am now a happy camper. I average 20K miles a year, and if something turns up to the contrary I will report back.
:h

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
That ? was posed to him, and as I recall his response was that tire inflation charts indicated the minimum air pressure for the load. So if you weigh your coach and use the number indicated by the chart you are inflating for the ride, and that is what so many are interested in.

As to why one brand does and one brand doesn't do something, probably has something to do with different tire construction and compounds.

As to what is on high value coaches, has probably more to do with what is spec'd by manufacturer. One thing I do also know about it, what tires come on new MH's has a lot to do with price and availability at the time of production. My parents DS on a Spartan came with GY 670's and he has had no wear problems, but then he hasn't weighed his coach either. For the record he just replaced them with the same, he figured he was on borrowed time as they were going on 8 years. I am sure other top MH's have also had GY's installed. I would even be willing to bet there are other top of the line MH's that came with other brands installed.

As to shops checking one's suspension, I personally haven't been around a shop that can legitamately check out shocks on a 40 foot MH. Tough to do a bounce test unless they have a resident elephant on site. Then again, as he said, the shock does not have to be worn out, it may just not be sufficient to do the job. I seem to recall there was at one time a problem with FSD's and CC's. It seems that the shocks were undersized and they were replaced by either CC or Koni, don't remember which. Don't remember what brand of shock was used either must be my CRS.

But, when all is said and done, you and others can continue to blame the manufacturers for all your problems, it is your tire and it certainly is your money. But one has to wonder why there are so many people out there that have never had the problem. Maybe they haven't weighed their MH's and they have just been lucky. Or maybe they have chosen to ignore conventional wisdom and inflate to the coach sticker or tire pressure marked on the tire. Or is it that they know something others don't? One has to wonder:h
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
A retired tire engineer indicated to me that the principal cause of rivering was inflation. He said "Too many people inflate for the ride rather than for the load." He then added that the next biggest cause were shocks that were not up to the job. He also said that of course you will never convince the consumer of this, because they know it all. I might add that he never worked for GY.

I think this is all quite funny, as I sold tires for way toooo many years, and the consumer has not changed. One could never convince a consumer that the abnormal wear pattern was caused by their lack of maintenance, it was always the manufacturers fault.

How does your retired tire engineer explain that when an owner has his coach 4 wheel weighed, and adjusts the tire pressure to the manufacturers supplied inflation pressure tables, and has the suspension checked numerous times still has problems with rivering? Then this same owner puts brand M tires on, and all his problems suddenly disappear. Additionally, why do all the higher end coaches seem to come with brand M tires already installed? According to Spartan, their cost difference is approximately $100 per tire when supplying brand M instead of brand G. Over the 3 years of dealing with Goodyear issues, I easily wasted more than the $800 difference! Lastly, it was Spartan that recommended the switch to Michelins.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
A retired tire engineer indicated to me that the principal cause of rivering was inflation. He said "Too many people inflate for the ride rather than for the load." He then added that the next biggest cause were shocks that were not up to the job. He also said that of course you will never convince the consumer of this, because they know it all. I might add that he never worked for GY.

I think this is all quite funny, as I sold tires for way toooo many years, and the consumer has not changed. One could never convince a consumer that the abnormal wear pattern was caused by their lack of maintenance, it was always the manufacturers fault.
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:

What is the value of a topic if you cannot share opposing views? There are thousands of posts of problems with these tires. Tire dealers that carry Goodyears and other brands acknowledge problems, and people who drive trucks for a living prefer other brands for their steer tires. I guess this is just Internet hype. To me a small sampling of folks who love their Goodyears cannot outweigh the thousands of negative posts that are all over. I am getting off my soap box now, and I am going to start a new topic for people who only have no problems with their Yugo cars;)

I think what the op was trying to do is show that there are a lot of owners who also did not have problems with there GoodYears, there's a ton of info about problems with the tires, and people generally do not come on these forums to say how good there tires we're.

That said if I we're in the market to buy tires, I don't think I would want to take a chance on the goodyears.
Our new coach will be coming with them, so I guess in a year or so we'll see what side of the fence end up on regarding them. I'll watch the front tires closely and will change them to something else if necessary, but I'm hopping to get a decent service life out of them.

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
mdprince wrote:
Cbones wrote:
All I can offer is anecdotal evidence. I had the G670s on my coach from new. I had several alignments where different facilities each told me that the coach required no adjustment. . I have had nothing but rivering issues and exceptionally hard ride for 60,000 miles. I switched to Michelins, and it feels like better than a new ride. The ride is so much softer and less jarring, it is like night and day. I will NEVER put these******tires on this or another coach. To me the Michelins were worth the premium.

I'm sorta reading between the lines here, but it seems that you just might 'not' be an RV'er with No Goodyear G670 Problems.........

Kinda makes me want to start a thread for folks who agree that 2 + 2 = 4, and see what gets posted !!! lol

What is the value of a topic if you cannot share opposing views? There are thousands of posts of problems with these tires. Tire dealers that carry Goodyears and other brands acknowledge problems, and people who drive trucks for a living prefer other brands for their steer tires. I guess this is just Internet hype. To me a small sampling of folks who love their Goodyears cannot outweigh the thousands of negative posts that are all over. I am getting off my soap box now, and I am going to start a new topic for people who only have no problems with their Yugo cars;)

mdprince
Explorer
Explorer
Cbones wrote:
All I can offer is anecdotal evidence. I had the G670s on my coach from new. I had several alignments where different facilities each told me that the coach required no adjustment. . I have had nothing but rivering issues and exceptionally hard ride for 60,000 miles. I switched to Michelins, and it feels like better than a new ride. The ride is so much softer and less jarring, it is like night and day. I will NEVER put these******tires on this or another coach. To me the Michelins were worth the premium.

I'm sorta reading between the lines here, but it seems that you just might 'not' be an RV'er with No Goodyear G670 Problems.........

Kinda makes me want to start a thread for folks who agree that 2 + 2 = 4, and see what gets posted !!! lol
2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes