cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Resorts in Southern California

kampy1
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we spent a month in our 40 ft motorhome in Southern California - at The Dunes RV Resort in Newport Beach, CA. We want to be in that area because our son lives in that area. The Dunes, in our opinion was not acceptable. The lots were so small I couldn't even put out our awning! We would like to be no farther south than San Deigo - don't have to be on a bay/waterfront. Want to have a lot we can live on. Help.
21 REPLIES 21

Jerry_Keller
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:
There's a place called Puddingstone, in San Dimas, that would accommodate your rig. Private RV parks in the L.A. area will have small, expensive sites. Puddingstone is at a regional park and isn't bad for the L.A. area.

If you're an Escapee, Jojoba Hills is very, very nice. It's east of Temecula. Another RV park down that direction would be Lake Skinner. Again, it's a regional park, but the sites are big enough for your rig.

And then there's Rancho Jurupa, next door to Riverside. They have a more rustic section with W&E, and a new section with full hook-ups.

Not knowing where your son is makes it a little difficult to offer anything else. Hope this helps.
Actually, I believe you are referring to East Shores RV Park; it overlooks the Puddingstone reservoir. Great place! I've stayed there a dozen times. Very hot into September. I'm generally there in April or May. See if you can get one of the sites on the C-ring. There's 20 sites open to the public on the C-ring (others are full timers). There's also a lot of other sites but the C-ring is up above the reservoir and you get great sunsets. During the day, depending on the weather, the water skiers and patrol boats can be very entertaining. See their site at East Shore.
Jerry Keller

2006 Bounder 35E, W22

ForestRiverTeac
Explorer
Explorer
There's a place called Puddingstone, in San Dimas, that would accommodate your rig. Private RV parks in the L.A. area will have small, expensive sites. Puddingstone is at a regional park and isn't bad for the L.A. area.

If you're an Escapee, Jojoba Hills is very, very nice. It's east of Temecula. Another RV park down that direction would be Lake Skinner. Again, it's a regional park, but the sites are big enough for your rig.

And then there's Rancho Jurupa, next door to Riverside. They have a more rustic section with W&E, and a new section with full hook-ups.

Not knowing where your son is makes it a little difficult to offer anything else. Hope this helps.
On the road and happy with Jed and Tilly, my four-legged camping buddies
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
If you want to be close to Newport Beach, there is an RV park over in Huntington Beach just south of the downtown area. It is on the inland side of Highway 1, but basically a few hundred yard walk to the beach. It isn't a "resort" but it is a decent place and was a lot cheaper than Newport Beach. It was mostly asphalt, and the sites are not huge, but you should be able to open all the slides and have a little room. My wife was looking at taking a job down there a few years back and we had picked the place in Huntington Beach to stay at for a few months until we moved down there. She didn't take the job so we didn't go.

The one I'm thinking of is called Huntington By-the-Sea RV Park. I was just looking at the Google Satellite images and the sites don't look much bigger than the ones at the Dunes. I do think when we looked the monthly rate was about half price of what the dunes wanted. They were going to give us a site on the back wall and if you look at the satellite image those are bigger sites.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to be close to Newport Beach, there is an RV park over in Huntington Beach just south of the downtown area. It is on the inland side of Highway 1, but basically a few hundred yard walk to the beach. It isn't a "resort" but it is a decent place and was a lot cheaper than Newport Beach. It was mostly asphalt, and the sites are not huge, but you should be able to open all the slides and have a little room. My wife was looking at taking a job down there a few years back and we had picked the place in Huntington Beach to stay at for a few months until we moved down there. She didn't take the job so we didn't go.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
There is also Guajome Regional Park in Oceanside, California. Eight miles from the Pacific Ocean. It is a nice place with a lake if you like to fish, plenty of grass everywhere. Partial hookups with electricity and water, but they do have a dump station. Nice restrooms and showers. But it is about 45 minutes from Newport right off I-5. 53 miles to be exact. And it will support the length of your coach on most of the sites. You do have to call for reservations ahead of time.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

sdbounderdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
X4 on Canyon RV for fairly roomy sites in the area. Chula Vista Marina RV Resort is also not too tight, but is quite a distance (San Diego).

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are some suggestions. I've listed them in distance from NB starting with the closest. Please also note the comments... if none of these are to your liking, there are many others south of the border patrol check point. If you want suggestions on these, let me know...Dennis

1. Orange County Fairgrounds - Costa Mesa - OC Fairgrounds
Make sure the Fair isn't going on while you're there.

2. Bolsa Chica State Beach - Huntington Beach - Bolsa Chica SB
See Note below

3. Crystal Cove State Park - Laguna Beach Crystal Cove SP
Call for rig length. They say 38' but ranger told us they would accept larger rigs on 'some' sites.

4. O'Neil Regional Park - El Toro - Oneill Regional Park
See Note Below

5. Ronald Caspers Regional Park - San Juan Capistrano - Roland Caspers Regional Park
See Note Below

6. Santiago Event Center - Irvine Lake - Santiago Retreat Center
Our favorite when staying in Orange County.

7. Canyon RV Park - Yorba Linda - Canyon RV Park
Easy access to Hwy 241 South (TOLL ROAD) or Ca55 South

As with most, if not all, California State campgrounds, it's best to call first to ensure your rig will fit. Their web pages and printed documents are significantly out of date. Also, it's prudent to ask about water availability due to the State's drought conditions.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jerry_Keller
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
There are not many places in Orange County but you might try Canyon RV. About 20 miles from Newport Beach.

It sets in a park like setting, close to FWY and easy access to where you may want to go. Park is nice, spaces are large and it's usually pretty quiet aside from the freeway noise.

The $300 weekly rate is really cheap for this area.

I've stayed at Canyon RV many times. I like it. It has a lot of trees, so you need to pick your site carefully it you want satellite TV. The park does have cable.

I stayed in campsite 90 a few years ago and was able to get satellite (surprised me), but trees grow and it may not be a good site for satellite now. I can't remember the last site I stayed in, but it was the only one of our group where we could get satellite. That was in the east- most ring. You're probably good if you take one of sites 130, 131, 132, 137, 138, 139, 140, or 142. Look at their on-line site map.
Jerry Keller

2006 Bounder 35E, W22

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Sluggo54 wrote:
From OP:

Last year we spent a month in our 40 ft motorhome

LOL!! Sluggo.... I guess I read his post too fast and missed it.

I really do like when people put their coach in the sig.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe he has a sticker in his knickers because of This Post...................:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said in his first post (doesn't say it was edited) that he has a 40' motorhome. He also said where he'd like to be and why he didn't like the park he was in last year.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the OP:

Please provide the following info.

1. Size of your coach.
2. 1, 2 or 3 Point hookups? Nice to haves and must haves.
3. Maximum distance from Newport Beach. SD to NB is a long drive with a border patrol stop in the middle.

Thanks, Dennis

kampy1
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify - we have a 40 ft DP with 4 slides.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sluggo54 wrote:
From OP:

Last year we spent a month in our 40 ft motorhome

Are we to A-S-S-U-M-E the OP has the same coach..???