cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV vs Truck tires.

Cubanredneck
Explorer
Explorer
So its time for me to change my current tires even though id hate too. I currently am running GY 670's and had a blow out this weekend. Tires purchased in 2009 and only 20k on them. Tires look new but the wife insists on replacement after the scare the kids had this weekend. No problem i said but after visiting my local GY dealer i was crushed at the price i was quoted for all 6 tires. The current asking price out the door was $3,700. I paid $800 less when i installed these in 09. Has inflation taken that big of a jump? So i naturally started looking around and seen all kind of post from people using truck tires on their rigs so it made me curious. So i started shopping arround today and i received quotes from different truck tire shops and they were significantly cheaper than the GY. I guess my question is is it worth going for the cheaper tire and risking issues down the road or bite the bullet and spend the $3,700?
I was quoted H rated Sumitomos for $2,100 any thought on these? i also looked at hankooks as ive seen them mentioned in the forum but did not receive a price on them yet.
Danny & Ali
Daniella Grace & Abigail Hope
Storm the destructive American Bulldog
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV
37 REPLIES 37

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
The real difference between a true RV Tire and a Truck tire is the softness of the rubber and UV material which is in a RV Tire. A true RV Tire is made with a coach sitting a lot in mind (the reason behind soft rubber and the UV). There are 2 manufactures that make a tire especially for RV's one is Michelin XRV, and I can't remember the other true RV tire manufacture, someone please help me? A truck tire is made of harder rubber material! Good Luck to you in whatever you purchase, I hope you get a good deal!

jocat54
Explorer
Explorer
Sure hope everyone is right about the Hankooks---just ordered 6 of the AH12 (255/70x22.5). They were $1906.11 delivered to Leakey, Tx. Then another $150 for the Dynabeads. Will cost about $300 more to get them mounted.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

John & Kathy & Gizmo (maltipoo)
1999 38ft Monaco Diplomat DP
Leakey, Tx (Texas Hill Country)

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
"I was quoted H rated Sumitomos for $2,100 any thought on these? i also looked at hankooks as ive seen them mentioned in the forum but did not receive a price on them yet."

I replaced my Mich's with Sumitomos. They are a great tire, and mine were $300 out the door, with Equal beads...so $1800.

I didn't bother reading all of the replies, because this is likely the 1847th thread on tires, and they all say the same two things:
1) GY and/or Michelin are the ONLY SAFE TIRES ON THE ROAD AND YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU SACRIFICE THE SAFETY OF YOUR FAMILY FOR A FEW THOUSAND $$$

2) There are many very acceptable brands on tires on the market. Do some research, and choose what's right for you. Your tires don't know if there's a truck or an RV riding on them.

I bought mine based on the recommendation of a family-owned tire business that services many of the trucks in the area. They've been selling Sumis for a long time, and have never had an issue or a complaint. If they did, they wouldn't be selling them, or they'd be out of business.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
19.5" Sumitomo ST718's on my 99 30' F53 for the last 6 years or so. Great bang for the buck. Plenty happy with them.
Ride smooth. Nice solid/rugged tires that never seem to lose a bit of air. Haven't put tons of miles on them, but they still barely look used. Will be replacing with another set in the near future. (Hoping I may even be able to sell the take-offs to a local with a dump truck or something??)
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
On our last coach I replaced Mich's with Firestone. Much less $$$$ and never noticed a difference in ride quality. Good Luck.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

farmer_boots
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my GY with Toyo's several years ago and have been very happy. The Toyo's came with e-balance, a liquid that keeps them balanced at any speed. The ride is awesome. My research in the difference between truck tires and rv tires indicated there were many different truck type tires depending on how they were going to be used. City tires maybe harder to handle bumping curbs while over the road would be a softer tire but give a smother ride. It was mind blowing to see all the variations. The big difference I found is RV tires have something in them to help resist dry rotting. They could sit longer without experiencing this condition.

Driving a tire gets it hot and does something to help resist this dry rot issue. So I make sure I drive mine every few weeks and keep them covered. Hope it works will let you know in about 5+ years.
2006 Monaco Diplomat

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
I had Hankooks on my coach 7 years & 40k Miles and just bought new Hankooks. $300 ea for 245 70 19.5s
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Replace 22.5 Michelins with Toyos all six for less that 1900 mounted in 2010. Had to sign a waiver that I realized they were truck and not RV tires. Did not notice any difference in ride or wearability. That was a 50% savings. Not sure how it would compare today. New rig has Michelins but I will shop around in five years and not assume that more expensive is actually better/safer. Many things are just....more expensive. No burnable money here. This hobby/lifestyle is expensive.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I put 19.5 Samsons on my rig in 2012. They have a little stiffer ride than the Goodyears, but sidewalls and overall tire are heavier duty. In 2012 I had a local tire shop put 6 on for approximately $1100.00 out the door. This summer, I drove around the forgotten coast of Florida, then south along the gulf coast of Florida, Keys, back up through the space coast, Orlando and back home to Pensacola Florida. Last week drove over a thousand miles round trip to Ashville, North Carolina. My coach is governed at 75. I keep it pegged out on the interstates. I sing SG music and traveled with a pro-group that put in upwards of 100,000 miles per year on their Prevost. I slept in my bunk while rolling down the road on Samsons. Now there are some on this site that are die hard Michelin people. That is fine, if you have money to burn. I don't, so cheaper is better for me. The ride....well, it does not make that big of a difference to me. Oh....most of your camper dealers like CW will charge much more for a set of tires. Try calling some of the local, well known tire dealers around town and see if they can install them for you, before going to the Camper dealers.
Mark

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Cubanredneck......This is a VERY simple choice....the Hankooks will be one of the best priced tires, smoothest riding and will outlast the POS Goodyears.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I put toyo 19.5's on my pace arrow in 2009.
Sumitomo 22.5's went on the back of the Knight in 2011 when the original goodyears started rivering and then one failed. (TST TPMS alerted me just in time to get off the road!)

I was very happy with the toyos, and the sumitomo's are great.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I put Hankook 19.5s on my PaceArrow that I just sold in April. I had them for two years and were great. I paid $1,700.00 cash for them out the door installed and balanced. I'm also running 22inch Hankooks on my Suburban for over five years and again no problems. My new to me rv has Samson's on it. Just drove it over 1300 miles in a few days and again no problem.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Cubanredneck
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
How many posts said they went with the "truck" tire and would do so again based on their experience?

How many reported they made a mistake and would go back to "RV" tires next time?

In my reading I found a lot of one and not much (any?) of the other.

Thanks for the reply. I just want to ensure I make a sound investment. Like I mentioned before most RVers are happy with the truck tires but then again 95% of the ones I've seen also use the 22.5's. I wasn't sure if the same rules applied for 19.5's.
Danny & Ali
Daniella Grace & Abigail Hope
Storm the destructive American Bulldog
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J.
2011 Ford F150 4x4
2017 Honda CRV

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
How many posts said they went with the "truck" tire and would do so again based on their experience?

How many reported they made a mistake and would go back to "RV" tires next time?

In my reading I found a lot of one and not much (any?) of the other.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
I bought Sumitomo's for my last M/H.. made by the same company that makes Dunlop, only significantly less expensive. I was happy with the tires..........
They were, however, stiffer than the Michelins that are on my current rig....which means a harder ride/more feeling when going over a bump...If you are an FMCA member, they have a good discount program with Michelin.....
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package