cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAFEST way to get on roof...OEM ladder or extension ladder?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to install a 3 Max Air II vent covers, inspect roof and caulking around vents, and add caulking if necessary. I want to wash roof but feel better washing roof with a long handle brush from my A frame ladder....moving ladder all the way around the RV one section at a time.

I need to know what is the best and SAFEST method for getting up on the roof of my 31' Class C. It has an alum roof.

I purchased an adjustable extension ladder (up to 17') from Harbor Freight (Vulcan heavy duty ladder...similar to Little Giant) to use with my last 5th wheel, as the OEM ladder appeared weathered, old, and not too robust. I would place extension ladder along rear right side and against roof, extending pass roof by about 1 foot.

My new to me Class C has an OEM ladder that appears much more substantial than the one on my previous 5er (see pic below). It uses heavy rivets to attach to rear wall and roof.

Can you share your tips for the SAFEST way to get on and off roof.

My BIG anxiety is when I step onto roof from ladder and when I step off roof onto ladder.

Thanks!

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
28 REPLIES 28

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have hired some younger, more agile people to wash the top of our motor home several times. Also will take it through a Blue Beacon whenever possible. First time was a handyman at a campground, once a college kid doing yardwork and such to help pay for his college, and the last time was a teen-age ball team trying to raise money for a trip to a tournament. All have done a great job, and even though I was only concerned with the top, all washed the entire rig. Good estimate is at least $2.00 per foot, with a generous tip if they do a good job. I furnish water, soap, and plenty of ice water if needed. Blue Beacon cost about $75, and included the toad which was attached. Best jobs were by the kids, and the college kid. All three worked their t--- off! And got good tips.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
The rear ladder on all our rigs were rated at 225 lb.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Hey klutchdust, what you pay the college lad to wash the roof, or do you pay him for washing the whole exterior and roof? Thinking a college or also have couple high school kids in neighborhood that I could pay to wash RV and/or roof.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
I always felt unsafe getting off ladder and onto roof and vice versa. If you have any balance problems or bone on bone knee joints, don't do it yourself. Also be careful stepping down from last step of OEM ladder. Make sure ladder is securely bolted to RV. If washing roof, don't slip and fall.

The last times I washed my roof I parked rig in slightly sloped driveway and worked from front to rear, my feet didn't touch wet or soapy roof, my last portion was done from ladder, I have a college lad to do my roof today before heading out for my two week trip.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had a problem using the OEM ladder and I'm 76. If I should fall I'll just land doing a PLF. (smiles)
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You need a safety person on the ground.

I pull it into my shop and use my JLG 1932E electric scissor lift.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Went up extension ladder early this morning (as pictured). Installed 3 Max Air II vents before it go too hot!

Easy on, Easy off roof. Very secure ladder... crawled on/off roof. Walked to vents to perform work. So easy on/off....I will now touch up some areas with Dicor self leveling lap sealant before winter arrives. What, winter? I'm in SoCal....winter....rain? We can only hope!!!
Equal-i-zer 10K

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
On mine the built in ladder isn't bad. Neither is climbing out the hatch from the cabover bed.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I always felt unsafe getting off ladder and onto roof and vice versa. If you have any balance problems or bone on bone knee joints, don't do it yourself. Also be careful stepping down from last step of OEM ladder. Make sure ladder is securely bolted to RV. If washing roof, don't slip and fall.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I use the seven foot step ladder tied on the RV ladder to get past the bumper and only have two rungs to deal with, this saves me having to hang like a monkey trying to reach the ground on the way down and it also allows me to carry items on the bigger steps to a point where I can place them on the roof with out doing a balancing act.

navegator

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the advice and tips. I will use the ladder as it is shown in the pics. My ground is fairly level concrete. I will tie off ladder to OEM ladder at top. I may raise ladder a little more to have something to grab onto as I step on/off roof.

SAFETY FIRST!!
Equal-i-zer 10K

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I use the attached OEM ladder on my TT to access the roof. I have no problem using it........now.

Only after inspecting the ladder attachment points and repairing the factory screw ups. One broken screw, two stripped holes (screws just spun around) and two screws not properly seated. This on an 2016 Arctic Fox TT.

After finding the defects that I did, I would not use the OEM attached ladder on any RV without first thoroughly inspecting the workmanship.

I know this is a Class C Motorhome forum, but the same applies to all makes of RVs.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stock, attached ladder has two disadvantages: it's straight up and the transition from ladder to roof is less than ideal.

Extension ladder issues I can think of: 1) What are you setting it on? In my case, that would be uneven ground, which would require a lot of blocks to make a safe footing. If you're on pavement, not an issue, probably. 2) How sturdy is the roof molding? Is it strong enough to take your weight as you go up? And will the pressure from the ladder disturb the screws/sealant? I've got an Itasca Navion on which I spent a couple of days resetting the rear roof molding (started out as a backup-camera replacement, until I discovered the holes in the adhesive flashing under the molding in one spot, which led to removing it all, so I could reflash the whole area...you know how that goes). No way would I lean a ladder against it after the work I put into getting it right.

In general, an extension ladder should extend past the surface onto which you'll be stepping by at least three steps, so you can grip the ladder as you make the transition.

And, of course, make sure your ladder is at the correct angle: stand with your foot about even with the bottom of the ladder, reach out an arm without twisting your torso, and grip the rung that's closest to level with your shoulder. Your arm should be straight. If not, correct the ladder's placement.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a ladder and put it as close to the original ladder as possible and use the OEM ladder to hold on to. I plan on having my roof washed before my trip next week and my gdaugters boyfriend will be taking over for me. i can supervise from the safety of my bedroom window when the MH is in the driveway. I have a knee issue and given the right circumstances I could trip, enough said.