cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

savings in customizing a Ram ProMaster vs buying a Travato

Terrenski
Explorer
Explorer
Was curious what the cost might be to buy a Ram ProMaster van ( the one used to make Travatos) and have it custom finished as an rv, putting in just what you want.
Saw one at a Fair today for $32,000 brand new and it got me thinking, if I wanted a simpler rv with a bed, table, portable toilet, etc, would that be cheaper to do then buying one with all the bells and whistles. If we used it more for weekends, etc, I don't see the need for all the kitchen appliances, cupboards, etc.
Any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

Terrenski
Explorer
Explorer
would anyone know a good van conversion company in the New England area? we live in NH.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I -think- Ford is offering incentives for their Transit van by giving discounts at upfitters. This might help things. At least it might get one a "free" shelf or such.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
A good idea for what the OP wants, why waste money on things you dont need.

Resale time, just strip the van back to basics and sell the van on the contractor market.

Much easier to sell than a Class B RV starting to show its age...

The Promaster seems a bit low on ground clearance in the stock form, add all the tanks, pipes, valves, generators etc from the RV builder and it might get a bit scary underneath.

A simple build would keep everything above the floor..

Also consider the Ford Transit van, more truck like...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
It will cost nowhere near $20,000 to build a very nice camper van with nice bed , portapotti , kitchen using my(stolen idea) sink method , portable stove,battery bank, compressor fridge , ceiling vent fan(s) . Gary at the Promaster forum(I posted link earlier. Page 8 has pics) built his for $3000. I would hire a carpenter to do mine because my wood skills are nil. That would be biggest cost.

Giselle
Explorer
Explorer
Terrenski wrote:
Was curious what the cost might be to buy a Ram ProMaster van ( the one used to make Travatos) and have it custom finished as an rv, putting in just what you want.
Saw one at a Fair today for $32,000 brand new and it got me thinking, if I wanted a simpler rv with a bed, table, portable toilet, etc, would that be cheaper to do then buying one with all the bells and whistles. If we used it more for weekends, etc, I don't see the need for all the kitchen appliances, cupboards, etc.
Any ideas?

First of all I would like to teel yu that try to get it with kitcehn and all other utilities. Coz my van also was for the weekend purpose, but one thing led to another and had to get a van with kitchen. So, better yet go with them and for the price, it depends on how much you want to cusotmise and waht things you pick and from where. Looking at your initial requiremnt, you are looking it at 18 to 20 G's

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Another pro for the Travato (and also the PW PM Lexor) -- they have a good resale value as a motorhome, not just a van chassis with some stuff tossed in. So, if the OP wants to move to a different unit, there will be someone out there willing to buy the Travato used... and "B"s keep their resale value better than any other type of RV.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
OP did say he wanted simple but Travato is one heck of a deal though. Porcelain toilet, auto step, generator , electric awning , modern entertainment system. For around $65k. Not bad.

and a real mattress to sleep on, not some cobbled together arrangement.
but I'm thinking that $70k is closer
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have to be a ProMaster? The Transits are out and have some great features, be it the EB engine, or a configuration with a high roof.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Promaster mpg will not be posted by Dodge because it is a commercial vehicle but many owners report high teens for stock vans and some Travato owners speak of 16 or 17.Remember .Once you buy an express van then you have to spend another $4000 for a fiberglass top.The Promaster diesels are coming out and that could really shake things up with mid twenties mpg.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the prices on 1-2 year old Express 1500 and Econoline 150 vans coming off lease, or out of rental service. Or 3/4 ton and 1-tons as well, since they are usually only $2000-3000 higher for same age and mileage. I got a year old E-350 with under 20K miles for just over $21,000, had never been titled because factory owned it while in rental service.

Then you have to decide whether saving $10K to $15K up front will cover the cost of getting 14-16 MPG instead of whatever the Ram Promaster gets, so far not published?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
OP did say he wanted simple but Travato is one heck of a deal though. Porcelain toilet, auto step, generator , electric awning , modern entertainment system. For around $65k. Not bad.

erip
Explorer
Explorer
Actually licsinn and other big dealers are often not so great at pricing. Find a local dealer that you can work with that will also provide you with after sale service

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
If your goal is a simple campervan build then consider Van Specialties in Oregon. They do very clean basic (and cost effective) conversions and have already done some Promasters.

But if your goal is a full featured RV with Generator, AC, TV, and full hookups you'll be unlikely to beat the Travato's street pricing. You can shop the big dealers like Lichtsinn for some aggressive discounts.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
whenever I attempt one of these money saving do it yourself tasks I would end up saving $10,000-15,000 and end up with some half ar$ed unit at the end. just bite the bullet and buy a real Travato. and resale???????????
bumpy