cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seal a pitted Aluminum roof

Usagi
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently purchased a Class C - Four Winds 5000 R/V. It is leaking. The cab-over is leaking severely so I ripped out most of the rotted wood, planning to rebuild that part. I found many pinholes in the aluminum roof. There is a sticker on the R/V indicating that it has been in Florida and it was once registered in Vermont (salt country) so I suspect the pinholes are due to electrolysis and are in the entire aluminum roof. I plan on keeping it for only a year or two so I'd like to do a fairly quick, cheap and easy fix but I don't want to do anything stupid like using silicon which would mess it up for whoever gets it next.
9 REPLIES 9

Usagi
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 5 gal bucket of Snow Roof. I have 4 coats on now and I think the leaks have stopped. I still have a bit over a gallon left. I'm starting to work on the cab-over, removing rotted wood and rebuilding it. I'm doing this from the inside. I plan on using the cab-over simply for storage.

Where the leaks were, the styrofoam has come loose from the ceiling. I plan on drilling holes from the bottom through the styrofoaam to help dry it, waiting as long as needed for it to dry, then injecting liquid nails, foam formula and prying upward to reattach the styrofoam to the aluminum roof. Then I'll add spray foam to fill the holes and add a vinyl wallpaper to cover the holes.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Usagi wrote:
I believe that the entire roof may have pinholes so I'm coating the whole thing.

It's a 1994 Four Winds 5000 which is 29 feet. I have ripped out most of the wood and foam in the cab-over and I plan on rebuilding that when I can. First I'm just trying to seal it and stop leaks. Later I'll reinstall the foam and put in new wood framing as needed. It has some aluminum framing.

I plan on cleaning the aluminum roof with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) before I apply the elasomeric coating... unless anyone here thinks I should prep the roof differently

I had a 1995 22' 21A Four Winds MH that I bought new. It came with an aluminum roof. The cab over developed pin holes from electrolysis, galvanic corrosion or whatever reason. The dealer covered the cab over with a fiberglass panel (filon) and pulled off the aluminum roof and replaced that with a rubber roof. That might be your best solution also.
I also bought (about 2 years ago) new rubber roof material for another 24' MH from an RV dealer who my son works for,it cost a little over $200, so it isn't, or at least wasn't that expensive.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1989 Mallard with an aluminum roof. It would oxidize and leave black streaks on the sides. So I cleaned the roof with aluminum siding cleaner, I believe it had an acid base, then painted it with a good white house paint.

Dusty

Usagi
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the entire roof may have pinholes so I'm coating the whole thing.

It's a 1994 Four Winds 5000 which is 29 feet. I have ripped out most of the wood and foam in the cab-over and I plan on rebuilding that when I can. First I'm just trying to seal it and stop leaks. Later I'll reinstall the foam and put in new wood framing as needed. It has some aluminum framing.

I plan on cleaning the aluminum roof with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) before I apply the elasomeric coating... unless anyone here thinks I should prep the roof differently

fighterpilota
Explorer
Explorer
What year is your MH. I'm looking at a 2002 four winds, 29 footer and wonder is this is a problem with the Four winds. I guess they use wood vice alum for the framing. Thanks

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Are you wanting to re-coat the whole roof, or just the cabover area?

Jose

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rhino spray on bed liner. Seems to work very well and holds up for years

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
A common roof coating used in this area on trailers, homes, barns ect is Snow Roof. Uses a primer and elestomeric roof top coat. I have used it for years on many roofs, including my motorhome. Not priced to bad and has always held up very well..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Elastomeric roof coatings with or without membrane will make a good long lasting attractive repair on a metal roof, with proper preparation.
Your local building supply should be able to guide you.