cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sell or trade?

WRBD88
Explorer
Explorer
Which is the best way to go..sell privately or trade?
Wilma

2003 Monaco Lapalma 34'6"
Workhorse
2006 Saturn SUV Toad
Just us,no kids, no pets
Husband Ret. LTC AF
31 REPLIES 31

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a strange one...I actually received $1,000 more on my trade-in of my old coach then I was planning on asking for the coach trying to sell it myself. I'd never mentioned to the dealer that that I was going to try to sell the coach on my own, nor what price I would be asking for it, nor did we previously discuss what I might be looking to get for it on trade. Go figure?!

(BTW: The price for my old coach that I was planning on asking was mid to high NADA book at that time.)
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought both my motor homes on Craigs List. I just sold one on CL as well. It was on for a month and I got a good price because the previous owner and I both kept it in good condition and private buyers appreciate that. Dealers don't really care that you babied the coach until they go to price it to sell. They're going to give you somewhere between high and low blue book. Don't be fooled by a high trade-in value; they'll make up the difference somewhere.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We also didn't want to sell our previous coach privately dealing with looky-loo's. So, we consigned it and it took 90 days to sell.

We received WAY more than trade-in value, it was worth the percentage paid to the consignment dealer to sell the coach.

Surprisingly, we were members of the 'two-bus-club' for only two weeks. ๐Ÿ˜„

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
I traded mine in for a price that I would have been very uncomfortable selling to another human. It had so much wrong with it that I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night knowing I dumped it on someone. By trading it in the problem became the dealers. I did not feel bad for them they knew what they were getting.
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I put my 1994 PaceArrow on craigslist on a Sunday night. Got three calls, the first guy that came purchased it without even driving it. Had cash and no rv on Wendsday. Shopping for a new coach without a trade seemed so much easier. Especially when you are flying here and there to look at coaches you are interstied in.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the seller's patience and level of effort they are willing to put into selling a coach.

A private sale has the potential for a substantial increase is the sale price but the seller will be doing all the work of a dealer. Advertising, scheduling viewings, dealing with potential buyers and such. Also the coach will need to maintain in a ready for sale state. Cleaned and shinny with most if not all personal items removed.

With a trade in you will take a hit in the dealer's offer against the perceived value of the coach. Dealers need to buy low and sell high otherwise they go out of business. You won't get an offer based on what NADA or what other guides might list as the retail value since you are negotiating at the wholesale level. The up side is you're done with the coach and it really doesn't matter how may bugs are splattered on the windshield. Plus if you still owe on the coach the dealer will take care of the pay off and title transfer.

Probably the biggest down side of selling on your own is if you find your next coach today and need to pull the trigger quickly. Selling your current coach privately can take time which can result in you owning two rigs. On the other side if you can live without a coach selling privately first will give you a bit more in funds for the next purchase.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer
Sale tax in Indiana is the same way. You buy a $100K unit and trade in a $40K unit, you pay sales tax on $60K. When trading cars my family tries to find a private buyer for the car, then goes to the dealer and says allow me X (what car is selling to priviate buyer for) and this guy will buy it for that "as is". Dealer often charges $100 or 200 for paperwork and we save the sales tax differance.. Private buyer would pay same sales tax anyway, so it is not an extra cost for them. It is all in how the deal is structured, but it can be a lot of money.

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
JFC wrote:
I hate to do private sales, so my last two coaches have been trade in the old one. My negotiations are always just "how large a check do I need to write to get the new coach". I know how much I'm willing to pay so the dealer can structure the deal any way he wants as far as price and trade value as long as the difference is acceptable. In California sales tax is calculated on the purchase price and not the difference between sales price and trade, so a lower sales price with a lower trade is a selling point.

I really hate to argue but ignorance infuriates me. Sales tax in CA is calculated by the difference of selling price less trade-in. Period. Selling price has nothing to do with it; it's the difference that gets taxed. ....
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to do private sales, so my last two coaches have been trade in the old one. My negotiations are always just "how large a check do I need to write to get the new coach". I know how much I'm willing to pay so the dealer can structure the deal any way he wants as far as price and trade value as long as the difference is acceptable. In California sales tax is calculated on the purchase price and not the difference between sales price and trade, so a lower sales price with a lower trade is a selling point.

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and I guess maybe your talking the depreciation that any motor chassis goes thru. Can still beat that if I don't want yo keep it. But if you keep it you own some depreciation, yes.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:
1BryNelson wrote:
Sell high; buy low. Time honored philosophy.

With RVs it is buy high and sell low.

Wow do I totally disagree with that statement. A dealer buys a unit or accepts a trade-in with the anticipation of refurbishing and selling at a profit. Why not sell for retail less refurbishing; or do the rehab and sell for top dollar. And I bought my unit for the dealership; part of my retirement was I got a Class A at what I bought it for plus $100. And believe me I paid much less than market to someone that just wanted to unload it.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on whether you want the most convenience or the most profit.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
1BryNelson wrote:
Sell high; buy low. Time honored philosophy.

With RVs it is buy high and sell low.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
When you "trade in" there are actually 2 seperate transactions taking place: 1) your trade in, they are buying to resell. Your selling low. 2) Your buying their unit at retail without truely knowing what they are paying for yours and what you are paying for theirs. Buying high. So if your going to "wholesale" your unit, then shop it around to dealers. Otherwise retail it, sell high.
I use to sell and buy cars for a dealership, same thing for moho's.

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to remember is that in most states you pay sales tax on the difference you pay. That could make a difference.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.