cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling - Ohio to PA - how to get temp plates?

jpwiggo
Explorer
Explorer
Selling my DP to a guy who lives in PA. I'm based in Ohio. I know how to transfer the title, but in OH we keep (destroy) the plates. I can't let him take my plates.

How should he get plates for his drive back to PA?
16 REPLIES 16

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Call your local AAA office, they do complete vehicle transactions including plates. You will have to get an inspection somewhere in the process.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our RV in NC. The seller took us to the DMV office where they provided what we needed (30 day temporary plate) and transferred the title. We did need to show we had NC insurance so we addressed that with our insurance company before we went down there. After we got home we change the insurance and reregistered in our home state. I'm sure every state is different so I would check with the DMV before hitting the road.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

dr3x
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought 2 units out of state. First one I bought a temp. tag at my local DMV in Ohio and then went to Michigan and took care money and details and dove home to northern Ohio home. Second unit again from Michigan I drove to owners place and took care of purchase details and money exchange then drove home without plates and I had title in hand with transfer and bill of sale and insurance already binding on both. I am told both ways are acceptable. I would have the purchaser buy temp tag in his state and make sure he has proof of insurance with him and collect the green backs and send him on his way. I prefer the temp tag method,just felt better that way. Just my 2 cents
Mel Parks
Killbuck,Oh

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice I read is to contact either the Ohio or PA DMV concerning temporary plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bad advice telling the seller that his concern ends when he receives the money. It may not be the seller's problem, but it is advantages for him to help the buyer solve the plate issue in order to complete the sale. :@

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
guttfelt I call my insurer sorry you live where the cops are so not understanding.

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Ohio sells temporary tags for a nominal sum at any registrars office. It is a simple process with title and bill of sale.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per my insurance (State Farm), if I buy a vehicle, it is covered under my old vehicle's plan for the first week or so. That allows me to buy on a Saturday and inform the company of the purchase on the following Monday or Tuesday without penalty.

When I purchase my TT, I bought in Nevada where it is a "plate goes with person" system and brought it back to California where it is a "plate goes with vehicle" system. I had gone to my local DMV to see about a temporary transport permit. She gave me a permit to bring the TT from my house to the DMV. There was no permit to drive the TT from Nevada to my home in California. As long as I had my bill of sale and the DMV permit, I felt confident that I would have no problems as I'd be transporting it through only te two states for a period of less than 3 hours.

In the OP's situation, I would contact both the Ohio and the PA depatments and make sure I was in compliance with both states before transporting it - that way I could show compliance to any state during the course of my transport.

In California, I could not get the TT registered without bringing it to the DMV office for VIN verification - so there was no way to license it prior to transporting it into the state. I suspect the CHP knows that and won't ticket you for non-registration during your initial transport...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a vehicle in FL, flew in from PA. Best option to get it home is temporary 30-day plates from FL. They do not require residency to get FL plates.

I could not find "transport plates" from PA like some states offer that allow you to take with you and drive home when we purchased our camper from MD earlier this year.

The buyer can check to see if OH offers temporary plates to non-residents.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you (well, the purchaser) goes to a Deputy Regristrar office, they can obtain a temprary tag valid for thirty days for a nominal fee (apparently around $20). As others have said, this is really the responsibility of the buyer; your responsibility ends when you accept the money and give them the bill of sale, title, etc. and remove your plates.

Calling the BMV and asking should help you get a handle on the exact paperwork and procedure required.

I would not drive a vehicle without a registration of some sort. While it may be possible to get away with it most of the time, it is not legal in most states and the fines and hassle (impoundment, etc.) do not seem to me to be worth the risk.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as the future buyer isn't still driving without plates weeks later a bill of sale to get the coach where it needs to be will do. I drove my coach home from South Carolina to Virginia with no plates and no problems. Had plates by Wednesday and a state safety inspection by Saturday. Insurance was taken care of even before the sale was final.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Plates are not needed for insurance. All the insurance company (for the buyer) needs is a VIN.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,ve bought a lot of toys out of state ,make up a bill of sale and date ,give him all the paper work and he,s on his way, been stopped couple times show the bill of sale and I,m on my way.

seems odd to me ? no plate ? no insurance ? no temp plate or permit?
where iam from that's about a $1500 bill (fine) and a tow from the local cop

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Donโ€™t give him your plates. I would think if he has a bill of sale he would be fine. Itโ€™s really his problem, not yours. Suggest that he call the DMV in PA.

a huge X2 on this.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve bought a lot of toys out of state ,make up a bill of sale and date ,give him all the paper work and he,s on his way, been stopped couple times show the bill of sale and I,m on my way.