cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling - okay to take a personal check?

jpwiggo
Explorer
Explorer
Selling my Class A DP. Is it okay to take a personal check for the funds? I DO NOT transfer title until the funds clear.

Thus if the check bounces then that's fraud, perhaps even grand theft auto.

I know most suggest certified check, but those are easy to scam today anyway. (You need to call the back to verify, and find the bank number from Google, and confirm its a real bank.)
41 REPLIES 41

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bank to bank wire transfers have worked well for me.

Yep! I've done millions of $$$$ of (legal) foreign cash sales (US sales to Mexico and cash back to the US) and never been burned once. Go to your bank and make sure they have a commercial working relationship with the sellers bank first. You'll need to talk to someone higher up than a teller to confirm this. Letters of credit work well also but are more complicated and expensive. Then:

Go to youtube and search for "police seizing assets keeping the cash"

In many states it is now illegal to travel with large sums of cash. (over $10,000) The police can seize cash just because they "think" it might be illegal. You'll do all the work get it back. Mississippi is one of the worst. Welcome to America!

Chum lee

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said, certified checks are forged anymore, if he is local, meet at his bank title in hand and do it there.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. Seller brings cash to my bank.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Meet the buyer at his bank and get cash directly from the bank. Then immediately buy a cashiers check with that cash. That is the safest way. That way, the buyer cannot stop payment on any check, and he has no control over any of the funds you receive. If he buys a cashier check, he can stop payment on it.

Accepting a personal check is not wise. Always meet the buyer at his bank.

A lot of banks do not have much cash on hand anymore, without making prior arrangements. I prefer a wire transfer directly in to my account. It cannot be reversed, the funds are verified by my bank, and I don't have to worry about anything that could go wrong.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bank to bank wire transfers have worked well for me.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Meet the buyer at his bank and get cash directly from the bank. Then immediately buy a cashiers check with that cash. That is the safest way. That way, the buyer cannot stop payment on any check, and he has no control over any of the funds you receive. If he buys a cashier check, he can stop payment on it.

Actually, the safest way is a bank wire. When your bank advises the funds have arrived, then give them the keys and sign the title. The wire can be verified as received almost instantly.

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't that one of the 4 greatest lies... 'The check is in the mail'....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DownTheAvenue wrote:

Ow days this is the correct way to do it!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No.
After the last time I sold a car I wont take cash either.
The only way I will do it is if the buyer comes to my bank with me with cash and I have a teller count it out and deposit it directly to my acct.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't either one.

The buyer can go to his/her bank and get an official bank draft.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

MrWizard
No..
Not unless he is your best friend, who is well off

It might clear your bank in a few days
Then two weeks down the road the thing bounces because of fraudulent use, id theif etc..

Real cash, get your bank and his bank involved
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s