Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Semi Winter

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We just bought our second MH. This time it is a 40 ft diesel pusher.
We recently retired and plan to spend 70-80% of our time traveling. North in the summer, south in the winter.
My question is this: If we decide to go to grandma's house for Christmas in CT what is the best way to keep the MH safe from freezing? Or if we decide to stay in the home in CT for a couple of weeks in January?
Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks cjlatour,
What I meant is the fresh water system normally supplied by the pressurized water system when attached as in a campground setting.

cjlatour
Explorer
Explorer
not sure what you mean by shore water system
Journey DL 36' 330HP CAT C-7, 6 spd Allison 3000
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/ Chevy Spark toad

cjlatour
Explorer
Explorer
Besides winterizing make sure you empty all holding tanks, water heater and ice maker lines. I would also get the anti-gel additive for your fuel tank and fuel lines. Also keep your fuel tank full and your LP tank as well. This should keep you in good running order.
Journey DL 36' 330HP CAT C-7, 6 spd Allison 3000
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/ Chevy Spark toad

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I am not that concerned about the waste tanks. If I empty them and put a little antifreeze in the drains I would imagine we would be OK. Same with fresh water tank. If I empty it I would imagine it would be fine.
I'm mostly concerned about the shore water system. Would opening all the outlets and drain it work?
Again, I truly appreciate any input

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all,
I like the electric heater option for a short stay in cold weather. We do have a whole house generator at home, then again if we are not home and loose power for an extended time (Like Gloria where we were without power for a week+) we would have been SOL if we were not home.
DW is not happy about having an electric heater going in the MH so I guess the saga continues
Again, thanks to everyone.+

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.thermocube.com/
this is what we use. on at 35 deg. off at 45 deg.
use 50/60 watt bulbs have 2 in the bay with the fresh and black tank (we only have one waste tank) and we have one bulb in the compartment with the water pump, filters, and heater. We use heavy duty bulbs like for garage door opener bulbs. they are coated which look better to me. Have been thru 3 years and travel in Ks, OK, TX, NM and AZ in Nov. Dec and Jan and has worked well so far lots of very cold temps. only on when needed. I found them in a farm store near the water well and pump stuff

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would also Winterize to be on the safe side (that pink stuff is cheap) I wouldn't trust electric power due to if the power goes out.

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the MH south during the winter months, you won't be able to live in it up in Conn. Drive up in a car and stay with someone.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in California so I'm no expert on freezing weather, but it seems to me like you could drain the water tank and get as much water out of the lines as possible with your low point drain, and then run an electric space heater in the motorhome. I don't know if you can still get them, but years ago I bought an electric heater at West Marine that was designed for use in a boat. It has a freeze protection setting on the thermostat. In this setting the heater kicks on when the temp drops below 40 degrees. I use this when we are going to have freezing conditions in California and I don't even drain my water tank and I've never had a problem. But then again it almost never gets below about 25 here either.

Another alternative is just leave your motorhome in the South and drive the toad home for the few weeks in the winter. It may even be cheaper to this versus using the fuel to get back home.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advise,
I do have the original manuals, but never thought of looking at that part. It is a 1998 Holiday Rambler

J_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find out more about your MH basement. Some are enclosed and even insulated. Some have zone thermostats. Others are open to the elements and you can extend the use of the MH a few degrees below freezing by running the furnace which provides some heat to the basement. The answer is MH specific.
Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply,
I understand the winterizing part, but I'm looking to keep things safe for s short time until we head south again. I am not sure the tanks are heated but assume so. I was under the MH and saw lots of foam around the pipes etc. Whatever that might mean.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Best way to keep motor home safe from freezing is to winterize it. Use heaters and run off of tank water. Are your holding tanks/compartments heated?
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107