cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

setting five months run the engine or not?

mscamping
Explorer
Explorer
We're setting in the South for five months and a discussion came up as to whether to run the engine once a month or not.. I was allows told not to unless you could go out on the road and run for 20 mile or so.. Cummins is where I got that, but what about gas engines?? What about starting just till the oil pressure comes up and then shut off??(30 to 45 seconds)Thanks..
Mike Mathews

Guys I don't think I mentioned the gen, I run it once a month with load so I'm OK with that..
2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon
24 REPLIES 24

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions with our generator said to run it monthly for 20 minutes at about half maximum load. I found that once every 6 weeks worked just fine.

I used to take our RV out for about a 20-minute run every six weeks also, running the generator at the same time. I didn't have any problems with the chassis engine, even though I left it sitting for about 4 months after cardiac surgery. The generator never ran again after that down-time and it was INOP when we sold the rig.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
When in Arizona and my RV is sitting for 6 months, I run the engine for 20 minutes once every 2 weeks. I've discovered by doing this in unison with my RV's solar trickle charger helps to keep my batteries charged. I've been doing this since 2004 without any adverse effects. In other words it works for me and I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
Also you need to exercise the generator at least once a month per the owners manual.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Running engines every month seems to me to be an idea especially prevalent in the RV community.

There are many thousands of boats both gas and diesel powered sitting on shore in the cold parts of this continent. There is no way they can be started and run every months for 20 minutes under load. They are all fine in the spring.

Farmers store all kinds of expensive equipment every winter. Most of it is diesel powered. You can bet they don't take their combine out for a spin once a month.

Millions of dollars worth of construction equipment sits all winter. I don't see paving machines out for a tour in Feb.

Use the correct storage additive in the fuel. Charge and disconnect the batteries. Come back when you want/need to use the machine again.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Forum members normally says no, but the local knowledge down south told me to run it once a month for 30 minutes, shifting threw the gears every 10 minutes or so. Some that did not do that in the park had issues with dried out seals.

I followed the local logic of starting and running 30 minutes and had no ill effect.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
I subscribe to the once a month for 20 minutes theory. As much for the belts bushings alternator windings and solenoid contacts as much as the engine.
Dry it all out. Run the trans thru the gears.

To say nothing about moving the emollients around inside your tires, working the lubricants inside the shocks etc........Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I subscribe to the once a month for 20 minutes theory. As much for the belts bushings alternater windings and solenoid contacts as much as the engine.
Dry it all out. Run the trans thru the gears.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Just let it sit. No need to run it. If it makes you feel better you could use some fogging oil before you shut it down the last time. That's what I do to my boat engine and it sits without starting from about October to April every year.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Running it for 30~45 seconds is about the worst thing you could do. You cause a lot of condensation to develop inside the cylinder and then you shut it off. So there goes everything from cylinder wall to the exhaust just rusting away.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The "don't start unless you can drive it at least 25 highway miles" certainly applies to diesels. It takes that long/much load to get the OIL (not just coolant) up to temperature. Anything less just adds moisture to the engine.

Gasoline engines produce more heat at idle (less efficient than diesel engines, particularly at very light throttle settings). I do not know if you can achieve high enough oil temperatures at idle with a gas engine. Would not be hard to check-- see how long it takes (if it can even be done) for the oil pan to become too hot to touch.

I can only see 20-30 seconds as negative. Cylinders will at best have incomplete combustion, with water vapor being one of the natural byproducts of combustion. Doubt once or twice would do long-term damage, but certainly can not see the good.

Were you to do anything, move to a premium oil-- one of the synthetics comes to mind.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/