Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore power cord repair

Riverchaser
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2000 Pace Arrow Vision
Need to replace female plug on the shore power cord.
Green wire is ground
Which...White or black wire to carry the 110 volts???
15 REPLIES 15

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbshoestring wrote:
Executive wrote:
All the above is correct...however, I'll add one other tidbit...

White is ALWAYS neutral.
Green is ALWAYS ground.
ANY OTHER COLOR is ALWAYS hot....it could be orange red black purple etc...it's ALWAYS HOT.....Dennis

To the OP.. if you're buying a PLUG/MALE, it's a NEMA TT30P...the RECEPTACLE/FEMALE is a NEMA TT30R... make sure you get the right one. If it's not marked TT, its the wrong one. DO NOT USE THE NEMA 10-30....Dennis

Not to get totally technical, but..... If the power is running thru a light/fan box, the electrician should run the HOT on a WHITE wire down to the switch, which brings BLACK back up HOT to the light/fan/whatever. I have seen them NOT do this, which brings WHITE back up HOT. Not the prefered method, but I have seen it.

ALWAYS test.

I hate to see someone get zapped ASSUMING white is always nuetral. Although, I guess they wouldn't get zapped if they shut the power off. Either way, testing for hot would probably be best if you are not removing a black wire---replacing a black wire, etc...

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...Check with a meter to be sure.

Just to be clear, anytime the white and/or ground is run as a different color than that which I posted, that wire is supposed to be taped with the correct color. In the example above, the WHITE wire should have been wrapped with BLACK tape for the last 8-12" indicating it is HOT....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

White is ALWAYS neutral.
Green is ALWAYS ground.
ANY OTHER COLOR is ALWAYS hot....it could be orange red black purple etc...it's ALWAYS HOT.....Dennis

To the OP.. if you're buying a PLUG/MALE, it's a NEMA TT30P...the RECEPTACLE/FEMALE is a NEMA TT30R... make sure you get the right one. If it's not marked TT, its the wrong one. DO NOT USE THE NEMA 10-30....Dennis

Not to get totally technical, but..... If the power is running thru a light/fan box, the electrician should run the HOT on a WHITE wire down to the switch, which brings BLACK back up HOT to the light/fan/whatever. I have seen them NOT do this, which brings WHITE back up HOT. Not the prefered method, but I have seen it.

ALWAYS test.

I hate to see someone get zapped ASSUMING white is always nuetral. Although, I guess they wouldn't get zapped if they shut the power off. Either way, testing for hot would probably be best if you are not removing a black wire---replacing a black wire, etc...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III

White is ALWAYS neutral.
Green is ALWAYS ground.

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wondering how you have a female receptacle on your power cord. Did you learn about the birds and bees? My '96 Pace Arrow had ATS so no need for a female receptacle unless it is an extension cord.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Riverchaser wrote:
Have 2000 Pace Arrow Vision
Need to replace female plug on the shore power cord.
Green wire is ground
Which...White or black wire to carry the 110 volts???

Previous post are correct:

Black is death
White is neutral
Green like the grass is ground.

Dark wire to dark screw, white wire to light screw. green to green.

HOWEVER....remember that the neutral wire returns the "power" back to the source. It essential becomes a "hot" wire if the circuit is completed (ie...light is on). Not something you needed to know for replacing a power cord, but important if you are playing around near a live circuit. I have seen people think they could play with the white on an open circuit Actually a closed-hot circuit. open circuit is something completely different. read open as HOT....they got tickled.

I added that last bit, because it concerned me that you asked which wire carried the voltage.....both do.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Gary. wrote:
I bought one of those Male plugs from Lowes or Home Depot and the 3 prongs would not line up with a real 30 amp female receptacle?

I'll just toss this out there. Maybe the male plug that you bought at Lowe's or Home Depot was not a 125 volt RV plug, but a 250 volt plug. Was the "Real" 30 amp female receptacle a 250 volt receptacle or a 125 volt RV receptacle?
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Explorer
Explorer
Would also like to mention they have what they call liquid electrical tape on the market to completely seal the connection from any condensation. Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Gary_
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of those Male plugs from Lowes or Home Depot and the 3 prongs would not line up with a real 30 amp female receptacle?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is the style from Lowes. They are not the best choice.
Lowes
Suggest one like this from Camco Camco These are available at many Walmarts.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes and Home depot have the 30 amp rv plugs too. Make sure you have the wire all the way in the terminal and tighten the screw really tight loose connections are a big cause of fires.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
What they said.

Remember, your RV's 30 amp plug is NOT a dryer plug.

Menards has a separate section over by lighting with some rv power stuff.
Home depot not so much.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Black is hot goes to the brass colored screw
White is neutral goes to the silver colored screw
Green is ground goes to green screw

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
You may find this page to be a source of help and additional information..

RV Wiring
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

MrWizard
30 amp service
green = ground
white = neutral
black = hot side

50 amp service
green = ground
white = neutral
black = hot #1