cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide topper banging in high wind

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
Today I was in a really strong cross wind. A good 40 mph gusts and steady 25mph. From time to time the topper (awning) on the large slide would unroll just a little and snap back and make a good noise in the coach. I adjusted my mirror and saw it. Probably no more than a 1/4 roll at the most. I think I heard of people using bungees or duck tape or other devices to secure the topper. I never had this problem with other coaches but this slide and thus topper is the largest I have owned. Any suggestions/ other than don't drive in the wind. Coach handles reasonably well in the wind considering I am a gas powered kite.
Bob
11 REPLIES 11

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. Yes, it only moved a quarter of an inch but enough to make a good sound. I will check the tension on spring or have a dealer do it. Under warranty. I am amazed that all of these comments and duck tape was not mentioned once.
Bob

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the slide topper anti-billow device is doing it's job.
If you take a look at the topper you should see a little arm projecting from one of the awning roller ends. When a cross wind is strong enough to start to unfurl the awning the piece hits a small plate on the side of the motor home which prevents the awning from unfurling.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my BIL installed some catches to prevent this. I think from an RV store.
bumpy

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Just to clarify, I believe the OP is talking about it unrolling while he is driving.
- Ropes
- Inflatable beds
- etc.
probably aren't a solution.

Check the spring and depending on the model there may be a knob that sticks out that should catch on the side of the RV to stop it unrolling while driving.

Your right, my bad, guess I did not read the OP's problem clearly, as mentioned sounds like the spring tension needs to be tightened...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make devices that attach to your coach to prevent the awning from unrolling. You can tighten the tension on the spring which should also help. Awning clamp

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just to clarify, I believe the OP is talking about it unrolling while he is driving.
- Ropes
- Inflatable beds
- etc.
probably aren't a solution.

Check the spring and depending on the model there may be a knob that sticks out that should catch on the side of the RV to stop it unrolling while driving.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bob in the past I've used foam mattress pad and cut it to fit and I've also use a inflatable air mattress just stuff it under the slide topper and leave a small note on the slide out switch panel to remove before extending.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And if the wind is going to blow all night, simply pull the slide in on that side.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
It is not terribly hard to tighten it up.
Look up the make/model of the topper and download the manual for specifics, but basically:
Put the slide all the way out.
Pin the topper roll.
Put the slide in (topper will not roll up)
Loosen the spring end till you can rotate the roller, and roll up the slide
Tighten everything back up and pull the pin.

If it's not tight enough repeat.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a cotton rope and thrown it over the topper and tied down on each end...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
tighten up the roll up / return spring just a little.