cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So much for stealth

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we got our new-to-us B registered here in PA the other day.

Our tag says MOTOR HOME in big letters right across the bottom.

Dang - we want it to look like just a van. For many reasons...

As a side note - the folks at the notary office said they'd never seen anything like it before - thought it was a real cute little motor home. :R

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
19 REPLIES 19

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
Funny side note: My Title is for a Dodge B-350 Van
If I wanted RV plates I would have to provide proof this is indeed an RV.
Here's what Illinois say's an RV must have.
A motor home, mini-motor home, or van camper displaying Recreational Vehicle (RV) license plates must contain at least four of the following six equipment items:
1) a cooking facility with an on-board fuel source;
2) a gas or electric refrigerator;
3) a toilet with exterior evacuation;
4) a heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine;
5) a drinkable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with a an exterior service supply connection;
6) a 110-15 volt electric power supply.

If a van does not meet the RV equipment requirements, the applicant should purchase either passenger or B-truck license plates, depending on the design and use of the vehicle (625 ILCS 5/1-145.01)."
I had no Idea, Illinois can be a real pain.

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
A recreational vehicle is defined as "Every camping trailer, motor home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business" (625 ILCS 5/1-169).

Your probably right . My mistake is that it's road restrictions , Such as the Dan Ryan in Chicago RV's are prohibited as are several streets in Chicago, any thing labeled as a Boulevard.
Our mobile home park is an example, Unless your the Police Chief, Don't even try to park it here. They do allow a Friday night over so you can load up and leave.
But an overzealous cop could use this against you.
So ya I must have misunderstood. Or the Cop was just being a smarty pants.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Driving down to the liquor store to buy a six pack is recreational use to me. ๐Ÿ™‚
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

WilliamKorn
Explorer
Explorer
"Oh an get caught driving an RV as a daily driver and that's a ticket. RV's are for Recreational use ONLY"

I do hope that you are misinformed!

Hello U.S.S.R. ?

Actually , I'm sure that you were given incorrect information. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S.: Please define "Recreational use" ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm always "recreating" !
William Korn
Out West!
williamkorn@msn.com

Tutorman57
Explorer
Explorer
In Illinois my Van is registered and plated as a Van that's it. I live in a mobile Home park. Strictly forbidden to park an RV in our park. But a Van , No problem.
Oh an get caught driving an RV as a daily driver and that's a ticket. RV's are for Recreational use ONLY. I have know idea how they would know, (Rv plates are bright Orange) but, If it's illegal I'd rather not be doing it. Don't matter they'll never know.
Oh and RV plates are way cheaper in Illinois.

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Quick comment.

I have been told that you can park, both day and night , at any public parking space unless it is posted that you can't.

As for private parking spaces like Walmarts, you can park with permission. If the town has an ordinance against it, you will be told that.

Remember to be on your guard. Some of the natives might give you trouble.

Heapie

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

Many years ago I owned a VW Vanagon. Registered as a car. As long as I didn't raise the roof, I could and did sealth camp. Nobody noticed me.

Since I have purchased a Roadtrek 190V, I have been discriminated many times.

At our neighborhood, I was reported by somebody who I don't know after three days and had to move it.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts charges us more to register an RV than an auto.

I am now wondering if I could get a hi top van and convert it into a camper. The neighborhood would not know. The state would not know. It just might fit in my garage.

Under advisement

Heapie

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
^^ Yes, it matters to us too. That's one of the things we're worried about - the New York Parkways... We did ask about a regular plate - couldn't do it as it has to be registered as a motorhome so that we will pay the higher yearly registration.

We do plan on parking in neighborhoods at certain times - not during the night - and I'm pretty sure that will be legal. For instance - we go to "Garden Walk Buffalo" every year. We drive around and park in different neighborhoods to see the different gardens. We want to be able to do that with our B. You know - bathroom breaks, lunch... Don't especially want folks walking by it and seeing that it is a MOTOR HOME. Don't want the folks that live there to have creepy thoughts that we are squatting in their neighborhood. ๐Ÿ˜‰

When we go to Devil's Hole and other state parks we want to be able to park in the lot for the whole day while hiking without worry that someone will think to break in to the MOTOR HOME. That goes for all parking lots when we go on our day trips - which we will do a lot since we live in an area where there is lots of stuff to do within a few

Just put a big sign saying:

No money or valuables inside,,,in the window..
Or leave a big huge dog in as guard..

SHADOWMCPD
Explorer
Explorer
Next time your registration is up for renewal have them register it according to the type if vehicle; make model and year is all that's needed unless the state makes more money registering as a motor home they won't mind.(oops, & the VIN),)

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
In Ohio, my girlfriends or my RV says nothing like that on the plate. Nothing wrong with stealth camping. It is like a no harm, no foul thing. Go for it. (My opinion - Your results may vary)
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
^^ Yes, it matters to us too. That's one of the things we're worried about - the New York Parkways... We did ask about a regular plate - couldn't do it as it has to be registered as a motorhome so that we will pay the higher yearly registration.

We do plan on parking in neighborhoods at certain times - not during the night - and I'm pretty sure that will be legal. For instance - we go to "Garden Walk Buffalo" every year. We drive around and park in different neighborhoods to see the different gardens. We want to be able to do that with our B. You know - bathroom breaks, lunch... Don't especially want folks walking by it and seeing that it is a MOTOR HOME. Don't want the folks that live there to have creepy thoughts that we are squatting in their neighborhood. ๐Ÿ˜‰

When we go to Devil's Hole and other state parks we want to be able to park in the lot for the whole day while hiking without worry that someone will think to break in to the MOTOR HOME. That goes for all parking lots when we go on our day trips - which we will do a lot since we live in an area where there is lots of stuff to do within a few hours drive.

So...

I did use the idea of the license plate frame - thanks gbopp. The dealer where we bought our B put their frame on it - I blacked out the letters with their name and thanks to RoyB used a dremel to cut out the area that was covering Pennsylvania. The words MOTOR HOME aren't completely covered - but they aren't so blaringly obvious now.

Pretty happy now...

href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

reppans
Explorer
Explorer
My state uses "Camper"... I told my dealer I wanted it registered with regular passenger plates - they obliged.

It matters to me - restricted parkways "passenger vehicles only". Parking lots along the crowded Northeast coastline "No Campers". Etc.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi pasusan,

I kind of agree given it's the creepy season, Halloween and all.

I would not want yours or mine, yours is maybe worse. Mine:

'Private Bus'

Bud

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the creepy responses O & G.

Happy Halloween to you too!