cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Parts To Carry

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Just when does it end? From past experience I carry a generator board, HWH pump, HWH misc. parts, spare tire, starter, AC unit caps, Lord knows how many tools I probably don't need, etc. I carry so many parts that I had to make a list of them and keep it in the parts bin as I just can't recall how many parts I have. When does it end? Today the topic I just read was water pumps. Do I need to carry a spare water pump as I don't want to be without water? Some places I camp are far from decent supply places.
50 REPLIES 50

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
I too carry an extra serpentine belt for my 8.1L gas engine. I also won't be caught without the switches and relay for the autopark system on my P30 chassis. Another item not mentioned in the thread are several different gas springs for the outside compartment and interior cabinet doors.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigred1cav wrote:
How do you work the magic for codes with a paper clip?

Gjac wrote:
I carry tools to make repairs along the way which I have used every trip. These include a tire plug kit for the MH and car and a 12 v compressor. The only spare parts I carry is a green and gray switch for the auto park system and an old serpentine belt that I replace 10 years ago. With a paper clip I can retrieve any engine codes and there are Napas everywhere for everything else.
. I have the the OBD1 system and the service light blinks indicating what the trouble code is, I used it many times. I bend the paper clip into a u and connect A anB port and the computer will blink long and short blinks, I have a sheet of paper which tells me what each code means.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I'm in for trouble! I carry a tool box with a wide range of tools, fuses, shear pins for the slides, and that's about it. And I only carry the shear pins because that's the only thing I've ever had to replace on the road and I didn't have one. But I found out a nail makes a great temporary pin just to get the slide closed. I also carry a few quarts of oil and window cleaning supplies!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
How do you work the magic for codes with a paper clip?

Gjac wrote:
I carry tools to make repairs along the way which I have used every trip. These include a tire plug kit for the MH and car and a 12 v compressor. The only spare parts I carry is a green and gray switch for the auto park system and an old serpentine belt that I replace 10 years ago. With a paper clip I can retrieve any engine codes and there are Napas everywhere for everything else.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Attending Camp Freightliner this week. They will be doing the Service on my rig while I am in class. I will be obtaining a set of spares to carry. I figure the things that are easily fixed IF you have the right parts are Filters and Belts. I will have a set. when i do the next service, we'll use them and I'll put new in storage. I already carry a tool kit, wire, fuses, tape, hose clamps and patch tape. It isn't like the old days an a naturally aspirated Chevy, you could fix just about any problem yourself and get home. I figure if I stall due to a clogged filter or I break a belt, having them shuold make the repair much more likely in a short time frame. If I have a major issue, nothing I carry is likely to help. That is where planned maintenance comes in. If you plan your maintenance and you follow through and DO your maintenance then the incidence of breakdown should diminish greatly.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
No ODD scanner?

With all of the stuff I'm carrying I don't have room for one:B
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer
I can always use a spare CPS for a 7.3....if you still have it?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greyghost wrote:
I also have a hand axe and a 4 lb sledge hammer and a can of Kroil.

No OBD scanner? :E

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 1 serpentine belt, 1 AC Belt, 1 of every filter on the coach. 1 toolbox loaded, 1 spare tire and wheel(came with the coach and it's way to heavy to take out of the bay). 1 110 PSI compressor, 2 bar clamps to glue cabinet doors back together, 1 cartridge of Dicor, duct tape, sanding paper, cordless drill and hammer drill and 1 Dremel and assorted discs. 1 gallon of Transynd, 1 gallon of Delo oli and 1 gallon of OAT anti-freeze. Lots of wax and RV washing stuff. I also have a hand axe and a 4 lb sledge hammer and a can of Kroil.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't carry spare parts at all but I do very stringent maintenance and do it myself so I know its done right. There is always a chance something can fail, like a water pump of a/c capacitor but common parts are always easy to secure when on the road.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
I carry some tools,duct tape,some clean diesel fuel,spare fuel filters
and the wrench,serpentine belt and the tensioner pulley,some heavy wire,a Multi Meter,small battery charger,Freightliner and Cummins & Newmar phone numbers,Credit cards and checkbook, I have Coach Net.
And beer in fridge when the day is done.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
If they don't sell it at walmart, ebay, amazon, homedepot, etc do you need it?

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the usual with me for years, fuses, wire, multimeter valve caps for tires (?) basic tools to tightening or loosening things and a power drill. Recently added a serpentine, oil filter and water separator at the suggestion of Camp Freightliner. During a recent service the old serpentine was found to be split lengthwise. I had them put on the spare and bought a replacement to carry (basic inventory rotation). Note I never intended to do any of the work myself, that was in years past, today MasterCard or Amex if they will take it.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing since 1976 and I don't carry any spare parts with me outside of light bulbs and fuses.