cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Speed for towing

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Saturn ION and owners manual says the vehicle can be towed, but max of 65 miles per hour. Is this particular to the Saturn or is this common to other towed vehicles? Not that I plan to do a lot of driving over 65, but just curious. Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
You and your RV should be in no hurry. Slow down look at America, enjoy life. If you need to be there in a hurry, FLY.

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to all for your responses. I can always depend on getting good help on this forum. While I am not new to RVing - have owned 5th wheels, but first experience with a Class A. Thanks again.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We can pull the toad faster, but why, we are full time and long ago decided it's the journey not the destination that's important.
The distance traveled between 60mph and 70mph in a 6 hr driving day is miniscule.
As a homeless full timer I suggest more looking through the big glass time, and less concern to race to the next stop.
I understand that if your still working a vacation means you have to be home by a certain time. But if you need 2 days of rest to recover from your 400 mile a day 7day journey, you will hate rv ing in a hurry.
gotta smell the roses
just sayin
jw
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda Fit has a max speed of 65 mph. That is as fast as we want to go. We usually cruise at about 62 mph. It seems to give us the best mileage.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
My toad states 65mph...sure in passing it's gone over or for a moment I look at speedometer, but I stay between 62 to 65 and I've never had an issue....besides I like to drive to be comfortable...I feel I can make (and have had to make) emergency stops....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
This fall into the category of; just because you can, does not mean you should.

Has anyone see the pictures of I10 Louisiana accident with the Class A towing a P/U that had a blowout and rolled in the median? I willing to bet it did not
happen at 55-60 MPH. You can never say never.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
Anything above 65 is a death wish anyhow! Whether driving a MH with or without a toad, pulling a travel trailer, or hauling a 5th Wheel doesn't really matter.
Being in control is what matters. Vehicles stopping quickly on the Interstate,
construction areas(everywhere), drivers pulling into your lane from on ramp causing you to brake quickly, and off ramp speeds drastically dropping the last second.

I keep asking why the speed limit is the same for big rigs as it is for sports cars and know that our coach doesn't corner or stop like a Corvette. Most semi tractor trailers won't either.
Others evidently think so, though.
We're seldom over 55mph in ours and there's usually plenty of other lanes for those who wish to pass.
And now, we've sold the sports car, so.......
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gamecock7483 wrote:
I have a Saturn ION and owners manual says the vehicle can be towed, but max of 65 miles per hour. Is this particular to the Saturn or is this common to other towed vehicles? Not that I plan to do a lot of driving over 65, but just curious. Thanks.

Maybe wants to wag a little at speed when being towed?
Lubrication issues with frothing or other with components spinning at high speed?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Anything above 65 is a death wish anyhow! Whether driving a MH with or without a toad, pulling a travel trailer, or hauling a 5th Wheel doesn't really matter.
Being in control is what matters. Vehicles stopping quickly on the Interstate,
construction areas(everywhere), drivers pulling into your lane from on ramp causing you to brake quickly, and off ramp speeds drastically dropping the last second.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 07 GMC 4x4 Envoy doesn't have limitations. Therefore, I always tow it at the lowest safe speed, which on average is about 65 mph.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
It's mechanical. If it were a safety issue all the manufacturs would state the same. It's about proper lubrication and heat. IMHO its how they disconnect from the engine and trans. If there is anything left spinning, not getting proper lubrication and cooling then there is a heat building up and friction on gears and bearings that aren't lubed as they should.

Why people wish to dispute the printed material provided by the manufactures regarding this is scary. I guess it's the same reason we hear some people drive 75 -80 mph or more knowing there is a speed rating on their tires. Sooner or later it'll catch up to you.

If you value your cars warranty then you'll follow the instruction manual provided to you. Or there are other choices in vehicles that would be a better selection.

its an AUTOMATIC transmission issue (for some), I get that - theyre really just trying to limit their transmission warranty repairs !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Our toad (Saturn Vue) has the same instructions. Generally speaking we cruise @ 65 because that's what's comfortable for me. I have certainly exceeded the 65 mph countless times and nothing bad had happened to the toad.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

et2
Explorer
Explorer
It's mechanical. If it were a safety issue all the manufacturs would state the same. It's about proper lubrication and heat. IMHO its how they disconnect from the engine and trans. If there is anything left spinning, not getting proper lubrication and cooling then there is a heat building up and friction on gears and bearings that aren't lubed as they should.

Why people wish to dispute the printed material provided by the manufactures regarding this is scary. I guess it's the same reason we hear some people drive 75 -80 mph or more knowing there is a speed rating on their tires. Sooner or later it'll catch up to you.

If you value your cars warranty then you'll follow the instruction manual provided to you. Or there are other choices in vehicles that would be a better selection.

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
I can see how that could be a problem. Long base vehicle changes lanes causing a whip effect on the short base towable; not something you want to happen at too high speed.

People should test slow speed travel just once to see the difference it makes. Going 200-300 miles away at 55 or 65 and then camping for a few days the few minutes of times before arrival make almost no difference and saves a ton on gas. You always see the little sports car in traffic that cuts left and right and then it's maybe 4-5 cars ahead after 30 minutes of traffic; having saved a few seconds and caused traffic behind from everyone having to adjust speed when they get cut off.

I usually try to drive 55 but will go 60 when all lanes are going that speed as I think being in the way is also dangerous.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30