cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter T1N1:Check Engine Light

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Got low on diesel fuel--down to about 2 gallons. Started Sprinter few days ago, got STEADY yellow engine ikon ie check engine(ECU). Boogied down to service station and filled up. Still light on. Stopped and started it 4 times and after a short drive into town and back and restart, light extinguished. My conclusion was scan fault 190 (from list I read on net) which is basically a fault recorded from the rail diesel pressure sensor. AM I correct in that as the manual says, if the fuel in tank is low you can get this and to do what I did or otherwise see your dealer. Comments? Normally I keep tank at least half full. I do know that if the yellow ikon is FLASHING, then that could mean engine problems and not to drive it far, if at all.
11 REPLIES 11

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
synergy_58 wrote:

I too have the SG II, but I can't clear it. I had a 0675 code (glow plug #5) come up and stay on for about 1000 miles, the ck engine light went away, I don't have it anymore on the dash, But I can not clear it from the SG. Not sure why. ANy ides?
Not really. When I check for a code when there is a check engine light, I have always been able to reset the code and the check engine light then goes off. I am not at the location of our RV, so I can't take you through the sequence on the ScanGauge but when the code is on the screen it is just a matter of me hitting the reset button and then confirming that I want to reset it.

The ScanGauge isn't the most intuitive device in regards to user interaction. But if you get to the point where you can see the fault code, you should be at the place where the reset option is visible.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
We often run low on fuel and I have never seen a check engine light from low fuel on our 2004 Sprinter based unit. In fact, last week I set an all time low (not intentionally, we were pretty sure we were going to run out before we found a station) and no check engine light. I put in 26.441 gallons, supposedly more then the tank holds. Maybe the station was ripping us off. But in any case the low fuel light had been on for some time and the needle was below the bars. We decided we were living right. 🙂

We have had a check engine light for other reasons. We have a ScanGauge so I can tell the cause. We have had a recurring check engine light due to something related to the glow plugs but it only occurs occasionally when first starting. It seems to have no other impact so I have not pursued getting it fixed. With the ScanGauge, you can reset the light. I never wait to start the engine to wait for the glow plugs to warm up, but that used to have no impact either.

Anyway, maybe other model years have different triggers for check engine lights. Our model at least does not seem to have a check engine light for low fuel.

I too have the SG II, but I can't clear it. I had a 0675 code (glow plug #5) come up and stay on for about 1000 miles, the ck engine light went away, I don't have it anymore on the dash, But I can not clear it from the SG. Not sure why. ANy ides?
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I like to what is in store for me....

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many triggers for check engine light. Maybe in my case it was due to the dead battery and not the low fuel. First time the battery was dead so it could be the reason. Or maybe just an aberration.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
We often run low on fuel and I have never seen a check engine light from low fuel on our 2004 Sprinter based unit. In fact, last week I set an all time low (not intentionally, we were pretty sure we were going to run out before we found a station) and no check engine light. I put in 26.441 gallons, supposedly more then the tank holds. Maybe the station was ripping us off. But in any case the low fuel light had been on for some time and the needle was below the bars. We decided we were living right. 🙂

We have had a check engine light for other reasons. We have a ScanGauge so I can tell the cause. We have had a recurring check engine light due to something related to the glow plugs but it only occurs occasionally when first starting. It seems to have no other impact so I have not pursued getting it fixed. With the ScanGauge, you can reset the light. I never wait to start the engine to wait for the glow plugs to warm up, but that used to have no impact either.

Anyway, maybe other model years have different triggers for check engine lights. Our model at least does not seem to have a check engine light for low fuel.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
If you are referring to my post, I wasn't clear. The fuel light came on because I was so low on fuel. After filling up, stopping for the night, the following day after 50 miles or so, the check engine light came on. It stayed on for at least four stops and starts and then went away. I assume as an earlier post that it had to do with letting the fuel level get too low. At the time it happened I thought we had gotten some bad fuel.

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
What was the reason for the light?

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
It happened to us once in Alaska after driving with the yellow fuel light on before filling up. It went away after scaring the heck out of us about 50 miles from nowhere!

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
My check engine light came on once while driving down the road when I pushed the pedal all the way down in a touchy situation. DW looked something up somewhere and told me to take off the fuel cap and rotate it 180deg. Worked. I marked it then so it always goes on the same way.
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
I've read the same in the manual - that low fuel level can cause the light to come on (haven't had that experience.) But could be something else.

In June we woke up to a dead coach battery, luckily last day of a road trip. Got a charge from Good Sam road service within an hour and drove straight home directly to our local service guy's parking lot (not a Mercedes or Dodge dealer.) The same check engine icon light was on the whole time (not flashing).

The next day he located a new battery, installed it and the warning light went off, never to return.

Easy fix, happily. I think our old battery was at least five years old, installed by previous owner.

Hmm. I also had a dead battery after leaving it for about 2 1/2 mths without starting. Maybe the battery initiated the light and/or the fuel being low. I did have a low battery before and no light so I will keep an eye on that. We are by the ocean right now on Vancouver Island and enjoying the Sprinter which works for us.
cheers
AL

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I've read the same in the manual - that low fuel level can cause the light to come on (haven't had that experience.) But could be something else.

In June we woke up to a dead coach battery, luckily last day of a road trip. Got a charge from Good Sam road service within an hour and drove straight home directly to our local service guy's parking lot (not a Mercedes or Dodge dealer.) The same check engine icon light was on the whole time (not flashing).

The next day he located a new battery, installed it and the warning light went off, never to return.

Easy fix, happily. I think our old battery was at least five years old, installed by previous owner.