cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting RV While Winterized

ever1ast15
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I have a question I am hoping I could get help with. I have winterized my class C Jayco motorhome. I pulled the battery and brought it inside my house and put it on a battery tender. I want to be able to start my RV and run the generator throughout the winter to get the fluids running through them. Do I have to reinstall the battery every time or can I run the generator without the battery on? If I can run it without, can I put a load on the generator without battery? Will the 12V items like lights run without a battery connected even though the generator is on? I am thinking I cannot and will have to reinstall the battery, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks in advance for the help!

James
Regards,
JT
22 REPLIES 22

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Like any motor, it needs to be "exercised" to keep the (for instance) fuel lines and carburator from "varnish". And prevent the oil seals from drying out.
You never know when you might need it....like during SANDY. It powered my house (more or less) for 4 days. An extension cord nightmare...but we and it did it.

Part of "preventive maintenance." Again...some, like me, will advise to do it....other will say not to. Your genny, your motor, your money, your decision. My motorhome is NOT kept in a garage and there is no electric or water where it is stored.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
OldRadios wrote:

"There is always water at the tailpipe when starting"

That means it's always sitting with moisture in it.

When you stop the engine after a drive, the pipes are HOT and moisture will NOT accumulate in them as they cool down.

The moisture you see spewing out right when it is started is a cloud of water vapor and a tiny bit of smoke that is still relatively "cold" when it hits the end of the pipe. This comes from the fuel burning and NOT from any accumulation in the pipes.

During that warm up time ONLY some of the moisture will condense inside the pipes......until they come up to operating temperature and burn it off.

Not necessarily. If it was just straight pipes maybe but just running it until it's hot does not guarantee there's not moisture left at the bottom of the muffler or converter from start up. Starting it frequently without driving it can let water accumulate in low spots. It may not all burn off by running it for a half hour. I've seen many mufflers and converters rusted from the inside. Again, I'd just let it sit. It would be better off.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Sam wrote:
Why would you run a genny every few weeks guys ?

Regular exercising the genset heats up the alternator windings and removes
or expels excess moisture. In sets equipped with brushes, exercising helps
prevent corrosion buildup on slip rings. Running the genset also brings fresh
fuel to the carburetor to avoid problems later on.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RV_Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you run a genny every few weeks guys ?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
OldRadios wrote:

No it does NOT mean that at all.

At least no more moisture that appears on the frame, bumpers and the outside shell.

When you stop the engine after a drive, the pipes are HOT and moisture will NOT accumulate in them as they cool down.

The moisture you see spewing out right when it is started is a cloud of water vapor and a tiny bit of smoke that is still relatively "cold" when it hits the end of the pipe. This comes from the fuel burning and NOT from any accumulation in the pipes.

During that warm up time ONLY some of the moisture will condense inside the pipes......until they come up to operating temperature and burn it off.

There are a couple of fairly good reasons to run the engine, in some circumstances, but getting water out of the pipes is NOT one of them.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Moisture is only created when the engine is running. When I put mine away for the final time I make sure it's been run on the road for sometime. That way the engine and transmission are good and hot. What little moisture is there will evaporate with the heat for the most part within a few days.

Not starting it again while in storage prevents more moisture. If I started it and ran it for a half hour every couple of weeks I would just keep adding to the moisture and it would not have enough time to evaporate (the water you see coming out of the tail pipe each time you start it). If it's fuel injected it really doesn't need to be run as frequently as a generator with a carburetor. As I said, mine sits for four months and starts at the touch of the key in the spring. It is plugged in all winter so the batteries are always fully charged.

Mine goes into my garage before they dump salt on the roads (November) and doesn't come back out until the salt is gone in the spring (April).
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
OldRadios: "...always sitting with moisture in it". OK...but how else would I get rid of it when I'm not driving it during the winter? I figure a little bit of moisture, burned off every 2 weeks is much better than letting ALOT of moisture build up.

Just sayin'

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
OLDRADIOS: I start my engine (and genny) to get RID of moisture in the exhaust system AND the engine....run both for about 1/2+ hour every two weeks. There is always water at the tailpipe when starting....and it "burns away" after about 5-10 minits.

But this is probably yet another "yes" or 'no" thing.

2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
There is always water at the tailpipe when starting....and it "burns away" after about 5-10 minits.

That water is condensed from the exhaust gasses.
It would NOT be there if you did not run the engine.

I run mine once a month or so too (both truck and gen).....but ONLY because that's the only good way for me to top off the batteries.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
OLDRADIOS: I start my engine (and genny) to get RID of moisture in the exhaust system AND the engine....run both for about 1/2+ hour every two weeks. There is always water at the tailpipe when starting....and it "burns away" after about 5-10 minits.

But this is probably yet another "yes" or 'no" thing.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Rig sits in my garage from December to March. I keep it plugged in so no need to remove the batteries. I run the generator for an hour once a month. I pick a warmer day and have an exhaust pipe to the outside for it.

I never start the engine. That does nothing except create moisture and rot out the exhaust system. Always starts right up with just a touch of the key in the Spring.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave the batteries in the RV. The cold temps will slow down the lead acid reaction and if kept charged so they dont freeze will actually prolong their life.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

ever1ast15
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestion pauldub/mgirardo. Never thought of that 🙂 Thanks all!
Regards,
JT

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Or you can just use the battery tender with the battery still in the motorhome.

This would be my suggestion too.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)