Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps stopped working

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Before I go back to the shop and drop another grand, I thought I'd check and see if someone has some suggestions here.

On day 10 of a 12 day trip, my steps stopped working. They look not fully retracted, but won't go in or out no matter what I do with the switch settings etc. I poked around underneath, didn't see anything disconnected, not sure where the fuse is, thinking maybe under the dash.

It just doesn't seem to have any power to it. Either that or the unit that extends and retracts died, hoping not the latter.

thanks in advance.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
21 REPLIES 21

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Well done!

As Effy mentioned, there are three grounds that all have to work right on my Kwikee. It's always a good place to start. I'm glad it only took 45 minutes to change the motor. You just pocketed your next fill up, Sweet!
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! And thanks for coming back to tell us how it got fixed. You're well on the road to being a RV repair tech.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Update: stair fixed! Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. This ended up being a great DIY project for a newbie. A couple of YouTube videos really helped.

Instead of dropping the typical grand at the repair shop, instead being sold a 400 dollar upgrade kit from the parts dealer, this ended up being a 65 dollar 45 minute job. 3 bolts and some grease. I did have to release the steps to get to the motor so that added some time.
Thanks again!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Hah! $360. They hope they've found a sucker. People who change the motor usually say how easy it was, and that they found a automotive window motor at a local automotive parts store when they brought their old step motor with them. Usually for under $50. Also people have found them at junk yards.

Personally, I just removed the step assembly (Kwikee 2-step unit), worked on it on the bench and found that after I cleaned everything up (just the electrical contacts) and greased the gears in the gear case there was nothing wrong with the motor.

Good luck to you though...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I did manage to spend a few minutes in the 100+ degree weather to look at these steps. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I pulled the power connector to the motor and can see it going +/- 12V when I open and close the door. Light on the steps comes on as well.

So, considering I should just try and replace the motor. The current one is AME 214-1001. I 'think' I found a replacement on amazon Kwikee 1101428 Motor Replacement Kit ($65). They say it will replace this motor.

Then I called my local rv place and they are pushing an entire upgrade kit $360 plus tax. I'm curious if that is really needed. I can get the motor and the Kwikee 1101425 Gear/Linkage Assembly both total ~130 bucks. I'm not sure what else may be missing for such a price difference.

I think probably wise to do both.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Howard, I sent you a PM if you have anymore questions PM me back. Thanks, John

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of photos of the location of the circuit breakers. Most folks don't know there are some between the floor and top house step. The black tab in the picture is used to pull a cover off the cover over the CBs. The battery disconnect is also there.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did that once and it turned out that someone kicked the magnet loose on the door frame that tells the steps to go in and out.....all I did was to refasten the magnet and all worked well....
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to my step repair blog story. Sadly, I screwed up and didn't get any pictures when I had the gear box assembly opened up on the workbench.

Repairing Kwikee Steps
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the encouragement Jim@HiTek. Fortunately the steps were 95% retracted, so I just rigged up a step using a box of firewood, some foam pads and my grill cover....a little McIver-ish, but it was sound and did the job. Each trip has provided learning, so it gets better each time. Fixed the shower plumbing myself, replaced shades, upgraded tv electronics, wifi-HD, etc. The mechanical stuff causes me pause...but I figured this would be a good one to jump into. I crawled under on the trip, but decided to wait, then promptly left all the manuals back at storage. I know there's a fuse box under the dash when I hooked up a CB, so I just need to find which goes to which, and I have all electronic testing stuff, multimeters, leads, 14v PS, etc. Just gotta watch the fingers, as pointed out.

Gonna be 100+ dgrees here this weekend, so will look for a bit cooler weather before I take on something that will take three times as long as expected to figure out.
Asking the forum is probably my way of getting confirmation that I can do this!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with you, eskins. Same here with a strong electronics/electrical and handyman background, my first RV really threw me for a while. Eventually, just dug into it and ended doing 90% of the repair work myself.

Usually, I'd find some help here on this forum, then dig into the problem. With your step issue, for instance, first thing I'd do is just crawl under there, disconnect the wires, then the throw arm. Using heavy duty zip ties, lash the steps up in the closed position. (And use one of those plastic steps to get in and out during the interim). And continue on traveling.

When I got home, I'd remove the steps and do a full service on them. Great way to learn all about them. Pretty soon, you're an expert.

Good luck, and have fun!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone,
I do have an electronics background and have no issue following some of the approaches, just an RV newbie so having to get over my fear of just jumping in and learning how everything works. Auto's have never been my forte.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Checking for power is pretty simple. Most, and I hope the OP's stairs does, have a light that comes on anytime the stairs are active. Craw under the coach and have someone open the door. If the light comes on you have power.

The thing about the stairs if you notice there are no mechanical switches that let the controller know if the stairs are at a limit either in or out. What the controller does is monitor the amps the motor is demanding. When the stairs hits the limit of movement, in or out, the motor effectively binds and current increases and the controller shuts the motor off. What can happen is if the stairs are binding or jammed somehow the controller will do what it does and shut the motor off.

Another problem could be a poor ground. A bad ground will limit the volts available but for the motor to do it's work with a lower voltage the amps required will increase. More amps and the controller shuts the motor down. Don't think that is your problem since the normal indications are erratic movement.

There's a bunch of You Tube videos you can watch to help work the issue. Just be very careful. If your fingers are in the wrong place when the stairs activate you'll have a story to tell the grand kids along with a possible trip seeking out medical attention.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Had that happen a while ago. turned out to be the ground. They grounded mine on the back of the step box and it simply corroded. Tapped a new ground on the frame and works flawlessly. TAKE CARE WHEN WORKING ON STEPS. as others said, they can take a finger off easily.
2013 ACE 29.2