cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps won't close urgent

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new MH 2015 Bounder. Drove it over 1500 miles from Florida no problem. Then last night at campground steps won't close..motor makes loud grinding noise..at first they closed 2/3 now not moving at all. Planning on stopped at Camping World in an hour but need to drive now..any ideas?
Pat
Pat and Ron and 1 wild agility GSD
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
32 REPLIES 32

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
mygsds wrote:
Hubby got cotter pin out but can't get the pin to move so we can bungee them up.
Pat

If you use a screw driver and hammer you can punch the pin out - then the step will swing smoothly.

Sounds like the pin is under tension and your trying to trip the trap.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
mygsds wrote:
Hubby got cotter pin out but can't get the pin to move so we can bungee them up.
Pat

If you use a screw driver and hammer you can punch the pin out - then the step will swing smoothly.
Kevin

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure the 12VDC power is REMOVED from the motor BEFORE trying to release the steps. If they ACTIVATE while your hand/fingers/arm is in there you might be making a trip to the emergency room instead of the border....be careful around parts that are supposed to move and are not.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that can cause problems like that, always make sure the steps are all the way out and stopped before stepping on them. weight while moving puts a lot of pressure on motor and gears..

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to service at CW and he told hubby how to work the pin loose. They are going to look at it when we can get there today....said it sounds like motor for sure which is what we figured...really sucks on brand new MH. Service guy John was very helpful so hope they can fix motor today for us.

MrWizard
Be sure to unplug the motor
Should be able to jiggle the steps and work the pin loose
Three or four bolts hold the whole motor and gear assembly together
Those can be removed if needed
I replaced both motor and gear box about a month ago
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries are fine fully charged.we are plugged in for power also. Odd thing is at the same time this started last night my door stuck and I had to push hard to open it. Door is fine now but step is worse. Still waiting for good Sam service to call back, on phone with Camping World right now hoping they can help..hubby just can't get the pin to come out..got it moving very slightly but not much.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know nothing about the motorhome electrical system but everytime I hear about failures when using 12VDC would make me to insure the 12VDC feeding the motor was good.

Especially when you state it was working good for a coupe of weeks then slowly quit.

Perhaps the charging of the battery that provides power for the steps is not up to snuff... If the battery is down in charge you can always nose up a car battery to it and hookup some jumper cables...

Again I know nothing about the way motorhome's electrical systems are used - just a thought here...

Grinding of gears doesn't sound good however... Maybe low battery voltage caused that to happen when under load????

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks as soon as we can get to dealer we will. We are supposed to take it over the border to Canada today..paperwork is at customs so need to get there. Calling Good Sam Roadsie right now to see if they can help us get moving. So is this a Fleetwood issue?

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
might think about going to the dealer under warranty.

This is funny. We are having the exact same problem - for two weeks now. But we are 3000 miles from our selling dealer and every dealer, even the ones to which Fleetwood referred us, refused to fix our steps. The soonest we can get our steps fixed under warranty? June 17, if we drive 430 miles away. We finally decided to do it ourselves and ordered the parts through Amazon.

If you can go to your selling dealer, do it! Don't let them jerk you around - it should take less than an hour to replace both the motor (which is what the grinding sound was) and the control board (which is why there is no sound or movement now).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Pat

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
Look under the steps and unhook the linkage, easy to do. Then tie in with a bungie cord or rope.

X2
Had to do this once. Held step closed with a bungee cord after removing linkage.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
By removing a few nuts and bolts the steps and the arms can be removed for travel;
kdk
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks hubby underneath now working on that....hope CW service can look at it when we drive in..bought it there and not happy to have problem on first trip.

Pat

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Look under the steps and unhook the linkage, easy to do. Then tie in with a bungie cord or rope.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"