cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for replacing front windshield curtains

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
After seven years of pretty hard use it is renovation time. Original front curtain is in four panels that Velcro together allowing us either cover everything or choose to cover driver's side window and passenger window and door. Really like that option.

Seems like RV Designer is the 900 pound gorilla when it comes to replacement. Only problem is that they are two panels total. Wife doesn't want to cut and hem them to divide the front from sides. Any suggestion for another supplier or other options?
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
9 REPLIES 9

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain wrote:
After seven years of pretty hard use it is renovation time. Original front curtain is in four panels that Velcro together allowing us either cover everything or choose to cover driver's side window and passenger window and door. Really like that option.

Seems like RV Designer is the 900 pound gorilla when it comes to replacement. Only problem is that they are two panels total. Wife doesn't want to cut and hem them to divide the front from sides. Any suggestion for another supplier or other options?

I would heavily suggest finding a stay-at-home mom on etsy or in your local area that does home sewing. If you were to give them your old curtians, they could sew you some new ones. RV dealers & MFG = $$$$ and less customization.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Mortdd
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on going with MCD next year. We are going to the factory in Texas to have it done since we will be going by it anyway. Apparently they will do it in one or two days and have full hook ups while you have it done.

There is another brand made in Canada, don't remember the name but the company is not good to deal with so I have heard. And if a motor goes bad they make you replace the entire shade.
D and K
Just the 2 of us now! Unless the grandkids come along.
Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Life Time Good Sam Member

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure there have been increases in fabrics and labor costs since our installation. I did obtain a price ESTIMATE before our decision. It was that price estimate that caused us to do the front with the electric activation (SO easy to press the button to lower the sunshade while in-motion on the road!) and the driver and passenger windows manual - easy to reach as needed. The lowered sunscreen has been really great on many situations - especially westbound and a bit late getting to the campground.
My best suggestion is to contact MCD (they need to know your coach year and model) and see if this great improvement is within your budget.
Oh and another way to save some $$ is to have them make it up and send it to you for your installation. I did not feel comfortable doing it, so we made the trip to Dallas - they have excellent service. They measured the day we arrived and did the installation the next day. The techs were excellent!! And FWIW, we had a bit of problem after about 4 months - I simply removed the roller, sent it to them (they paid shipping) they reworked the fabric and sent it back to me and I just placed it back in the holder. All at no cost to me!! EXCELLENT customer service by MCD!!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I've been hemming and hawing on the mcd system as well...
I'd really like it on the windshield, the side window setups I'm not so sure about.
Especially the passenger side. Seems gliding that curtain... to the door, or all the way, is just the easiest solution on that side.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
Remove the original panels and take them to an upholstery shop or seamstress and have new one made, using the old as a pattern. They will be able to use the original hooks (track fasteners) or get new ones to fit your MH track.
Any fabric store will have choices for new material and patterns.

Beverley and Ken

This is excellent advice if you don't want to go the expensive MCD route. It is a pretty easy job if you bring them the existing curtains.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
We have the MCD's on all windows or our coach and love them. You can pull down the sun screen shade and just feel the heat transfer being stopped. Then at night closing the night shade on the front windshield really cuts down on the cold air transfer for that big piece of glass.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
ccxnola wrote:
We had the same stiuation with our coach.
After much research, we decided to upgrade to the MCD Innovations installation for the front window as well as the driver and co-pilot windows. It was a bit expensive, but well worth the cost - to save a bit, we made the driver and co-pilot installations manual operation, while the front is electric. It made a great improvement to our coach!!
Have a look at their website:
http://www.mcdinnovations.com/
or click:
MCD Innovations

I am going to get this done on my coach soon, can you share what the cost was?
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same stiuation with our coach.
After much research, we decided to upgrade to the MCD Innovations installation for the front window as well as the driver and co-pilot windows. It was a bit expensive, but well worth the cost - to save a bit, we made the driver and co-pilot installations manual operation, while the front is electric. It made a great improvement to our coach!!
Have a look at their website:
http://www.mcdinnovations.com/
or click:
MCD Innovations
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the original panels and take them to an upholstery shop or seamstress and have new one made, using the old as a pattern. They will be able to use the original hooks (track fasteners) or get new ones to fit your MH track.
Any fabric store will have choices for new material and patterns.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.