cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Visiting the Badlands and South

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're thinking of visiting the Badlands (possibly Deadwood or ??) near the end of our summer trip in mid to late September than dropping S. into NM before heading home in Tuscon. Right now planning ~30 days to get from Billings, MT to Tucson including stops an Santa Fe, NM and Sedona, AZ.

Any suggestions on routing, RV parks, and etc along the way would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind paying for good RV parks with reasonably spacious sites that will easily accommodate our MH (44' overall) Good golf along the way is a bonus.

Also, if possible I would like to avoid the Denver corridor but that might not be practical. That stretch remind me of the Salt Lake City corridor...100 miles of bad traffic.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
27 REPLIES 27

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not mentioned yet is Wind Cave and CG, both are 1/2 price if you are over 62. Went there last summer with GS could not get a campsite at Custer, but Wind cave NP had plenty of sites available and were still first come first served, was not far from Jewel Cave either.

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Aug 8th - 14th Expect mayhem, Madness, Bikers by the thousands, & tons of fun. :C

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Sturgis is one of the most friendly cities around and there are some great restaurants.
I'll second that!

Years ago when we were tent campers before I retired, and were camped at Bear Butt SP just outside of Sturgis, our car broke down. The Ford dealership went out of their way to help us. They towed our car after hours to their shop and went to work on it at 8:00 am the next morning.

Being we were from out of state, I didn't know what to expect, thinking they may take advantage and charge us exurbanite amount. Not so. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and get us back on the road with an amazing low bill for several hours work. 🙂

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The downtown RV park in Sturgis is a nice place to stay and is central to a lot of other areas for day trips with the toad. We have stayed there twice in September, right after the rally, and the cost was only $100 total per week for full hook-ups. From there it was a quick drive to Custer, Devils tower, Deadwood, Needles, Rushmore, etc.
Sturgis is one of the most friendly cities around and there are some great restaurants.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For a scenic drive and avoiding Denver from Black Hills you could work your way over to Casper, WY then south to Rawlins & west a short distance to 789 which becomes 13 in Colorado to Craig, Meeker and Rifle on I-70. Then east on I-70 to Hwy 24 toward Leadville and Buena Vista and on to Poncha Springs. From there continue south on 285 (or17) to Alamosa and Antonito and continue to Hwy 84. You could also go to Taos, NM before 84 if you want. 84 will take you into Santa Fe.

We've driven this route with a 40' motorhome towing.

Santa Fe Skies is the place to stay - very nice and convenient.

For Sedona we enjoy staying at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in nearby Cottonwood. Check out Jerome while you're there but not with your RV.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
We're thinking of visiting the Badlands (possibly Deadwood or ??) near the end of our summer trip in mid to late September than dropping S. into NM before heading home in Tuscon. Right now planning ~30 days to get from Billings, MT to Tucson including stops an Santa Fe, NM and Sedona, AZ.

Any suggestions on routing, RV parks, and etc along the way would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind paying for good RV parks with reasonably spacious sites that will easily accommodate our MH (44' overall) Good golf along the way is a bonus.

Also, if possible I would like to avoid the Denver corridor but that might not be practical. That stretch remind me of the Salt Lake City corridor...100 miles of bad traffic.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Distant Drums RV park in Camp Verde, AZ is mui excellente! Camp Verde is maybe 20-min south of Sedona off I-17. if you like quiet and open vs. noisy and congestion you'll like Distant Drums.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the info....much appreciated.

We stayed in Custer sevreal years ago with our TT. Nice little park right downtown. Did the Custer SP loop as well as Rushmore. This trip we're looking for something different which is why Deadwood/Sturgis came to mind.

The RV park in Hill City looks great, just what we like. Might make a good stay for a few days.

The suggestion to cut W. at Colorado Springs is good but doesn't help us getting into NM to do Santa Fe and etc. I did find 395 and it looks like it turns into 287 than perhaps take 50 to 10 to I-25 S of Pueblo. Does that sound about right.

Like I mentioned, we have a month or so to kill before heading back to AZ heat. Getting back in mid to late Oct is the plan.

Thanks again for the help.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
twotoes wrote:
Custer State Park is right near Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the city of Custer and Hill City and a good place to stay. The sites are electric only but each campground has a shower house with a hose bib to fill your tank before backing into your site and there is a free dump station in the park. You can drive the Wildlife Loop Road and see Bison (Buffalo). Also a nice drive (not in an RV, take the toad) are Needles Hwy and Iron Mt. Road. From there you can go south on Hwy 79 to 385 into NE and avoid Denver.
X2 😉

We will be at Custer SP this September, again. 🙂

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
When visiting the Badlands, Rushmore, etc we like to stay here in Hill City. It is a good central location to hit almost everything you want to see. Except Devils Tower is probably two hours out. I also go out of my way to avoid Denver IMO the worst traffic to navigate anywhere I have been. If you are taking I70 west drop south slightly to Colorado Springs and maybe enjoy a night or two there. Then continue west on 24 & 50 and land on I70 at Grand Junction. The drive on 24 is one of the most beautiful ever. You will not avoid mountain driving but IMO it will be more pleasurable than that stretch of I70.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
Custer State Park is right near Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the city of Custer and Hill City and a good place to stay. The sites are electric only but each campground has a shower house with a hose bib to fill your tank before backing into your site and there is a free dump station in the park. You can drive the Wildlife Loop Road and see Bison (Buffalo). Also a nice drive (not in an RV, take the toad) are Needles Hwy and Iron Mt. Road. From there you can go south on Hwy 79 to 385 into NE and avoid Denver.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Carhenge, near Alliance, NE. On SR 87. Hot Springs, SD. On US385. Mammouth Digs, near Hot Springs, SD. Buffalo Bill Ranch State Park, Near North Platte, NE. On I80.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

janstey
Explorer
Explorer
And Saloon#10 in Deadwood for the live 8s and Aces show, really fun!!
JeffA and KimA
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H (Workhorse Chassis) / with two slides
2003 Jeep Liberty toad, all 4 down w/brake buddy

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Visit Mount Moriah Cemetery in Deadwood. You won't regret it. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.