cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Super Steer bell cranks for Freightliner XC chassis

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience with these units?
After the marked improvement from the Koni FSD shocks, I looking now to eliminate the constant back and forth movement of the steering wheel needed to keep the rig on a straight track.
And, do I need to have them put on both sides of the rig?
Bob
13 REPLIES 13

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
With the power of hydraulics - you will never know if he original bell crank is bad. I always thought mine was good, until it was removed and I played with it. Hard to turn at first, after a week it froze up.
I changed my when I found he online price I was looking for. In the area, installed, received the online price for the bell crank.

FL XC chassis
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
bmwbob:

First of all, I have not changed the bell crank, so I can not comment on that.

Your rig (from your profile = 1999 Newmar Dutch Star 38' diesel pusher) will be on basically the same chassis as my motorhome. I've chased the same problems, and have solved them without replacing the bellcrank. Mine seemed to have excessive steering play.

Yes, the Koni FSD helped the ride a lot. After a good alignment, I still had the problem you described. After checking for worn components, I determined the loose feeling was from the steering gear box. Luckily, it is adjustable. After minor adjustment, it tracks much better.

I could still feel the tires following the ruts in the road (very minor problem) and installing a Steer Safe cured that problem.

Adjusting the steering gear box is a controversial subject. Some authorities claim you must remove the box and make adjustments off the rig to get it right. Many shops refuse to adjust the steering gear box. There are a number of Freightliner chassis owners that have realized improvements by adjusting the excess slop out of the gear box without removing the gear box. The adjustment is on the side of the gearbox, with a hole in the frame member provided to allow access to it. Make very minor changes and test drive. It's better to be a little loose than too tight.

There is additional info about this on the Freightliner Chassis Owners Group on IRV2.

I've had the Steer Safe damper on the rig for quite some time since I originally thought that my wife would be sharing the driving (NOT!).
I can recall adjusting the steering gearbox wear adjuster on older cars I owned many years ago. The shop that put my Koni shocks on is honest and competent. I think I'll consult with their wrench about doing the adjustment since there seems to be such a difference of opinion about it here.
Thanks for all the tips! This is a GREAT place for avoiding reinventing round discs with holes in the middle! ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob
Fred

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The life of the OE Freightliner bell crank is largely determined by the "care and feeding" it has received.

It has BUSHINGS, not bearings, so is sensitive to having clean grease in it all the time.

Easy to determine if it is worn. With engine off, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth through left/right arcs. Watch the drag link coming from steering box to bell crank, and then the link from bell crank to the left steering knuckle. Any up/down or angular play in the bell crank means you need to do something.

Indeed, the Henderson bell crank with BALL BEARINGS is a big improvement over the OE design.

And, while under there, check the sway bar END LINK BUSHINGS for wear-- there are 8 of them and a high failure rate item. Easy to replace-- go with polyurethane replacements.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
Are you sure it is the bell crank and not the tires?

The Michelin tires are two years old with about 6K miles and no signs of uneven wear.
Bob

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob:

First of all, I have not changed the bell crank, so I can not comment on that.

Your rig (from your profile = 1999 Newmar Dutch Star 38' diesel pusher) will be on basically the same chassis as my motorhome. I've chased the same problems, and have solved them without replacing the bellcrank. Mine seemed to have excessive steering play.

Yes, the Koni FSD helped the ride a lot. After a good alignment, I still had the problem you described. After checking for worn components, I determined the loose feeling was from the steering gear box. Luckily, it is adjustable. After minor adjustment, it tracks much better.

I could still feel the tires following the ruts in the road (very minor problem) and installing a Steer Safe cured that problem.

Adjusting the steering gear box is a controversial subject. Some authorities claim you must remove the box and make adjustments off the rig to get it right. Many shops refuse to adjust the steering gear box. There are a number of Freightliner chassis owners that have realized improvements by adjusting the excess slop out of the gear box without removing the gear box. The adjustment is on the side of the gearbox, with a hole in the frame member provided to allow access to it. Make very minor changes and test drive. It's better to be a little loose than too tight.

There is additional info about this on the Freightliner Chassis Owners Group on IRV2.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Henderson's does have them for the XC because I put one on my previous coach. I would make sure all the other steering components are OK before spending the money for the bell crank. In my case, my OEM bell crank was sticking and the Supersteer unit is bearing smooth. It improved tracking in my coach with the XC chassis.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
bmwbob wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with these units?
After the marked improvement from the Koni FSD shocks, I looking now to eliminate the constant back and forth movement of the steering wheel needed to keep the rig on a straight track.
And, do I need to have them put on both sides of the rig?
Bob

Might want to check the play in the steering box. I have no wander with ours what so ever. It is a pleasure to drive and don't need to keep working the wheel.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it is the bell crank and not the tires?
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

bmwbob
Explorer
Explorer
SacsTC wrote:
I don't think that Henderson's makes a Bellcrank for Freightliner chassis. They are for P-30 and P-32 motorhomes.

I'm looking at their catalog right now.
The part number for the Freightliner XC chassis is SS100.
Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Freightliner Bell Cranks

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Should be able to adjust slack in steering box, granted bell crank could be worn. Adjustments are made on outside of steering box.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

SacsTC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that Henderson's makes a Bellcrank for Freightliner chassis. They are for P-30 and P-32 motorhomes.
1999 Damon Daybreak 3270
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I was a good kid, now I'm making up for it

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If your rig has bell cranks on both sides as my P-30, then yes, you need to replace both sides.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker