cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector Advice

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the electrical surge issues experienced by those on this board, I've decided to purchase a protector. I have 50 amp service, and know that some of the places I camp only provides 30 amp service.

Do I need to buy a separate surge protector for both the 30 and 50 amp situations?
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan
17 REPLIES 17

olympicman
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Proggresive 50 amp with remote from Campingworld online on 12-6-2014. listed as $292.99 on sale free shipping end price ended up being $278.34 drop shipped from progresive. Got it in 1 week. waiting for the rain to stop so I can install it.
Bill & Diana & Suzie the super dog lab
2010 Rexhall Airbus 310
Work'in to retire and really RV

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Little better price for the PI hard wired here:
PI EMS

It is less, but that is because it does not have the remote monitor.

Dakota98 is right. Sorry, I missed that.
Makarios RV has it cheaper but after shipping it may be the same as Amazon.
surge
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
I have had a Surge Guard since we started RVing in 2009. First one is a 30 amp current one is 50 amp. Still have the 30 amp "just in case". We bought the locking hasp. Since 2009 we have RV'd in many diverse places, some as long as eight straight months. Never had an issue and never plug in without it. The Surge Guards have been out in torrential downpours of 12" in four hours. Never a moment's problems in either operation or theft attempts. With the hasp a thief would need to cut through the Surge Guard's cable to get it off the hasp. Doing that would essentially destroy the device.

all of the locking hasps I have seen merely lock the device to the RV cord. all this means is not only will they steal the surge guard they will also steal some or all of your cord.
I epoxied a padlock hasp to the back of mine and run a chain to that. then they have to bust the SG apart to steal it.
bumpy

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Surge Guard since we started RVing in 2009. First one is a 30 amp current one is 50 amp. Still have the 30 amp "just in case". We bought the locking hasp. Since 2009 we have RV'd in many diverse places, some as long as eight straight months. Never had an issue and never plug in without it. The Surge Guards have been out in torrential downpours of 12" in four hours. Never a moment's problems in either operation or theft attempts. With the hasp a thief would need to cut through the Surge Guard's cable to get it off the hasp. Doing that would essentially destroy the device.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
THEFT? of the portable? Yeah...here at the Forum, it's always "...a friend"..."someone else"...or "I heard......" NEVER the owner of a portable unit. No one EVER claims "MY unit got stolen".

And as far a "getting old"...what does that mean? My Progressive 50Amp portable has been out in the weather for at least 4 years....and if you read the booklet, it plainly says (to the effect) that it is MADE to be in all kinds of weather..but not IMMERSED in water.

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for clarifying and all the great ideas. I have a few months to figure out which route I need to go.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
PI EMS

It is less, but that is because it does not have the remote monitor.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
PI EMS
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I recommend a full power protector and that means high/low voltage disconnect, no connection with a miswired pedestal, etc.

Portables don't involve installation but for me would get old very quick plus any display is out there in the rain. My PI HW50C is in it's second MH without ever cutting any original wiring (very easy to remove :W). Yup have to run a wire inside to the remote. Low voltage and there will be a error code when you check, etc.

PI is the best available product IMHO.

In consideration of the cost of these, I'd go with what CA Traveler recommends. It doesn't appear to be difficult at all to install, & theft would be of no concern then.

AMAZON
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps you haven't read these:
Surge protection2010
Surge, 2010, 50a
Surge, Class A, 2011
Surge, 2013
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recommend a full power protector and that means high/low voltage disconnect, no connection with a miswired pedestal, etc.

Portables don't involve installation but for me would get old very quick plus any display is out there in the rain. My PI HW50C is in it's second MH without ever cutting any original wiring (very easy to remove :W). Yup have to run a wire inside to the remote. Low voltage and there will be a error code when you check, etc.

PI is the best available product IMHO.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one. I like portable as I have used it on different rvs and if it needs service it's right there.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy the 50-30 step-down adapter. 5? bucks Then....if you want to use it at home (presumably you're not a full timer), You can add a 30-110 adapter (dog bone) and continue to use it without a problem
I have the Progressive 50AMP portable. Just don't want to tap into any motorhome wiring. I got enough problems without messing them up.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
but make it a multi-function surge protector. $250 and up, not the $90 special.
bumpy