Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a class A motor home.

I've heard that surge protectors are a necessary item. I'm not sure they are. If there is anyone with an idea on this please jump right in.

Once folks do jump in can you address the portable vs the hard wired.

Thanks so much.
50 REPLIES 50

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the progressive web-site and I've checked out Camping World.

The surge protectors at Camping World don't say anything about being manufactured by Progressive. Is the progressive protectors the industry best or will the ones at Camping World do the same?

Thanks for all the comments. I agree I've had cars, trucks, and houses and carried insurance on each for many years without ever needing it but there may come a time when it's all that keeps me out of the poor house.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DonCarol wrote:
We spent the money and purchased a portable surge protector. Two weeks ago while at a campsite in Florida there was an electrical storm which hit the main power transformer. I can't tell you how many rv's received a jolt, but our surge protector did its job and we were spared. The motorhome owner next to us who did not have a surge protector stated his television and refrigerator quit working the same day. Coincidence, I don't think so.

but your neighbor had RVed for 20 years and never had ... yadda, yadda, yadda.
well he has now.
bumpy

DonCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We spent the money and purchased a portable surge protector. Two weeks ago while at a campsite in Florida there was an electrical storm which hit the main power transformer. I can't tell you how many rv's received a jolt, but our surge protector did its job and we were spared. The motorhome owner next to us who did not have a surge protector stated his television and refrigerator quit working the same day. Coincidence, I don't think so.

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
We prefer to have one. We have a Progressive Industries 50 amp Hard Wired Unit. We felt it best to have one since we travel to many different campgrounds. While you can check the pedestal before plugging in, that is only a reading for that moment in time. We prefer to be out and about and not sitting around the campground checking a monitor to see if the power goes up too high or browns out when everyone's Air conditioners kick on all at once. We also plan to keep this motorhome for a very long time and see a Progressive Industries unit as an investment in preventive maintenance.

X2 We have the hard wired Progressive unit and it has saved us several time when the voltage was low and shut of power to the MH to prevent damage to our Heat Pumps, and other items running. Besides it advises if the campground pedestal is properly wired to prevent problems. It has been a very good investment for us.

For those camping for 16 years, it only takes one time to pay for the surge protector vs. the damage done if you do not have one.

I have never had a fire in 40+ years of RVing, but carry and have several fire extinguishers if I need one.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
We used one and I slept well because of it. When the voltage drops in a full CG on a 95 degree day in mid September they are worth their weight in gold.
Randy

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
We use one every time out. It cut power twice in one holiday weekend, when the campground was overloaded. They had a meadow set up for overflow camping, allowed doubling up on sites, let tenters plop a tent anywhere that was big enough, etc. We will never camp there on a holiday weekend again!

Elizabeth
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We purchased one during our first year of fulltiming and are glad we did. It has cut the power when voltage was too low. Accumulative damage can be done with low voltage also, not just surges. Another time a state park pedestal wasn't wired correctly and our surge protector "refused" power to our coach. We were only staying the night, so just unplugged and used no power. We did report the problem, don't know if they fixed it or not. It has also cut power 3 or 4 times with little power spikes. We wouldn't be without one.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi Bumpy,

And how much is that home worth? Replacement value?

The analogy is flawed. That's all I'm saying.

Bumpyroad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Your home is worth far more than the damage that might happen from a surge suppressor, so the analogy doesn't work very well (at least for me).

I do pay more than $252 for my home insurance, and that is every year. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
All you need to buy is a 50 amp Smart Surge protector from Progressive. It is 240/50 amps, provides 1650 Joules, and protects up to 45000 surge current. It also is polarity tester. Like Pianotuna pointed out, THAT is very important before you connect your coach cord to shore power.

I have had a couple of instances where it has shown that where I was going to connect it was wired wrong. But the Smart Surge protector from Progressive has warned me about how the shore power was wired and a couple of red led lights will light right up.

They usually cost around $140, but you can find some places where you can buy them for around $124.

That is all you need.

You can spend hundreds of dollars for a hard wired set up, but it is not really necessary. OVERKILL!
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I've lived in my house for over 20 years. Haven't had a fire or hit by a tornado......I still carry house insurance.

Bingo!
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Your home is worth far more than the damage that might happen from a surge suppressor, so the analogy doesn't work very well (at least for me).

I do pay more than $252 for my home insurance, and that is every year. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like others have stated - it is insurance. I would not look into power without it. I have an external one that I secure using regular locks around the top and bottom.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

The greatest issue is an open neutral on a 50 amp service causing one "leg" to be much higher voltage. That can be checked before you plug in. For 30 amp service it is extremely easy to check the voltage. It is prudent to do these checks even if you own the best EMS available. If you do, then it obviates much of the need for having such a unit in the first place.

The low voltage "protection" currently available is about 103 volts--far to low for my comfort. Anything below 109 and my air conditioner gets turned off. They won't protect from a direct lightening strike, or from a serious power surge.

If I had a 50 amp service I'd consider an EMS. On 30 amp there is little need and an autoformer or variac would be better for my money.

rockhillmanor wrote:
I've lived in my house for over 20 years. Haven't had a fire or hit by a tornado......I still carry house insurance.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be without a multi-function ($265 and up) surge protector. not the $100 el-cheapo.
bumpy