cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Synthetic oil questions

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
With the recent increase of getting an oil, filter change and lube on our 2011 Bounder with a workhorse chassis, I've decided to start doing it myself as I do on our other vehicles. The owners manual calls for 6.4 quarts of 5W30, every 3000 miles. No mention of synthetic.
I currently use Mobil One EP in our car and truck. I know Mobil One says it is good for 15,000 miles, however, I choose to do it every 6 months even though we don't put that many miles on either.

What is the general opinion regarding usage of synthetic in the Bounder? Or should I just continue doing it with regular 5W30 every 3,000 miles?
41 REPLIES 41

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
tempforce wrote:
i can't believe your vehicle paperwork recommends 3,000 mile oil changes.
the only people who promotes that, is the oil change places..
i would check with the engine manufacturer and use the heavy use recommendations. it should be between 5,000 - 10,000 miles depending on engine and use.
my current vehicle gets a yearly oil change. the oil still looks clean when it comes out, it goes into the yard equipment after running through a centrifugal purifier.

Just to be sure after your first comment, I sit here with the owners manual for a workhorse chassis. It does in fact state every 3,000 miles that oil and filter are to be changed. Believe it not!

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
If you cahnge oil every 3500 miles as I do, its a waste of money to change to synthetic unless you change the interval to about 10000 miles. I've been told that once you change to Synthetic oil you can't go back to dino.

No reason you can not go back to synthetic? have done it a few times over the years

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
If you cahnge oil every 3500 miles as I do, its a waste of money to change to synthetic unless you change the interval to about 10000 miles. I've been told that once you change to Synthetic oil you can't go back to dino.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I use high end full synthetic and change my oil just one time per year no matter how many miles I drive.

3 months or 3000 miles is just silly, I have 5 work vans full time on the road in the Vegas heat and somtimes they only get a oil change about 1 x per year with dino oil and I still get over 250,000 miles out of the motors, now the transmission never makes it over 100,000 miles due to our heat.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
howdy35 wrote:
I had a 1999 Bounder with a V10 and I ran Amsoil in it. I used their premium filters and ran it 15,000 miles between changes. Never a problem and on our trip to Alaska in 2002, no oil change on the road. I now run Amsoil in my DP and all my cars. I changed my Bounder over to synthetic as soon as I purchased it in 2002.

I think you need to lengthen the miles between changes to at least 10,000 miles or the extra cost is not worth it. Changing over to true synthetic will clean any drudge your engine may have in it so you may want to change the filter at 5,000 miles just to be safe on the changeover.

I seriously have never heard of when changing to synthetic oil it will clean the motor? I think one would have to use a high quality engine flush if it was dirty before switching?
just my thought on it

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram 2500 IL-6 Cummins Turbo Diesel I use Rotella T-5 15/40 Synthetic Blend. In my 2005 Fleetwood 6.8 L V-10 I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. In my Old 1995 7.3L "460cid" V-8 I used Motorcraft 10/30 Synthetic Blend Oil. I change the oil and filter at about 7500 miles or 6 mo. which ever comes first.

My 1995 Ford had over 200K on it when I traded it in on my Ram Truck. It leaked more oil than it burned "Marked it's Territory"

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, I use Mobile 1, change every 5K miles, or 6 months.
I know synthetic is more stable, however at less than $40 per change with WalMart oil and Napa filter prices, that's a very cheap insurance.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1999 Bounder with a V10 and I ran Amsoil in it. I used their premium filters and ran it 15,000 miles between changes. Never a problem and on our trip to Alaska in 2002, no oil change on the road. I now run Amsoil in my DP and all my cars. I changed my Bounder over to synthetic as soon as I purchased it in 2002.

I think you need to lengthen the miles between changes to at least 10,000 miles or the extra cost is not worth it. Changing over to true synthetic will clean any drudge your engine may have in it so you may want to change the filter at 5,000 miles just to be safe on the changeover.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Over 100,000 miles of using Walmart Synthetic 10W30 in my 95 460 Bounder and PT Cruiser.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
I always have and always will change oil on mileage and not age.the age thing in my opinion is all BS for the most part.I use Mobile 1 5-30 syn in my vehicles
and regular 15-40 in the ISL.I only go 3200 miles PY in ISL and change every 3 years.My mustang GT 2006 is going on 5 years on mobile 1 and only 2000 miles
to each their own.I just don't see any good sense in draining good oil based on time alone

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
i can't believe your vehicle paperwork recommends 3,000 mile oil changes.
the only people who promotes that, is the oil change places..
i would check with the engine manufacturer and use the heavy use recommendations. it should be between 5,000 - 10,000 miles depending on engine and use.
my current vehicle gets a yearly oil change. the oil still looks clean when it comes out, it goes into the yard equipment after running through a centrifugal purifier.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman, thanks for posting I really appreciated your information.

Steve

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
I am not an EXPERT in oil, but I have had an opportunity to learn the basics of oil analytics working in a govt lab that specializes in OIL IDENTIFICATION. We used Infrared Spectrometers and Gas Chromatographs...

I used to be a skeptic of synthetic oil...figured Id just use regular old oil and change as recommended. Starting running my vehicle lube oils through the machines to see what was going on. used both conventional and synthetic.. new and used. w/o going into lengthy details I will NEVER run conventional oil in ANY vehicle I own including my RV. Conventional oil starts breaking down pretty early and by the time it got the 3000-4000 miles, a lot of the original oil constituents are gone. Synthetic on the other hand was 95-100% the same after 12 months/9000 miles or so.

I currently do a 1 year oil change with a new filter every 6 months. I keep an extra quart for each vehicle as it can still be "consumed" (blow-by, leak, etc) but at a slower rate than conventional in my experience (remember its staying in there for a year vice 3-4 months).

when I do change it, it looks a full shade darker brown, never black.

This is my experience and thoughts, it may not suit everyone. I find it works very well for me and I spend one full day a year changing oil in everything (RV, Mustang, Explorer, Dakota, VW Rail Buggy, Honda ATV, Riding mower, RV Generator, and Push Mower).

Good luck!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
With my annual mileage now, I change my oil/filter/grease twice a year. Using 10-30 "blend" or the motorhome.

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Once a year, no matter the mileage.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's