cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The big boy class A's

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from approx. 8K mile trip from NC to OR and back. In all the campgrounds we stayed at we didn't see any of the Prevost motorhomes. Where do they stay? Am I missing something?
09 Holiday Rambler Neptune DP 35' 340HP Cummins 6 spd Allison Tranny
04 Dodge CTD LB 4WD, 6 sp,QC. 08 SunLite Eagle WS Popup TC.
Just me and DW on the road every chance we get!
53 REPLIES 53

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
MM,
Congrats on your new Coach! We stopped at MHT, very nice selection there.

We spent the night next to a Prevost in a KOA in Ohio. He was returning from a long trip we were just starting. He liked my Motorcycle in the PU. We had a nice chat about toys. He had a H45. We shop them when on the lot as we like the Royale conversions. Seems we find the ones decorated by uhhโ€ฆโ€ฆ.eclectic tastes.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I see them in high end RV Resorts all up and down the West Coast.

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, sounds like you gotcha a new big boy class A. Where will you be camping? I would like to see it! However don't camp in the big resorts, I can't afford them. If you don't mind driving that monster into some federal and state parks, small commercial campgrounds, or Walmarts maybe we will run into each other and I can see your monster! I've never seen the interior of one. Mine is just no comparison with it's 340hp cummins and tile floors throughout. However, on our trip I did manage to pass a lot of trucks in the rockies and other motorhomes, but it didn't help my fuel mileage but I think someone implied if I can't afford it I shouldn't be driving it, correct?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
redguard wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
From my own experience with the Prevost chassis is that they are built for continuous duty and designed for long life, high mileage, applications. That is why they are used primarily by NASCAR drivers, celebrities, and other notables that criss-cross the country on a daily basis. Their livelihood depends on them getting from point A to point B and they cannot afford the occasional breakdown/delay that the rest of us have to endure in a "standard" RV. Prevost chassis coaches are built to last 1,000,000 miles as a minimum with minimal interruption of service.
I've put several thousand miles on a Liberty Prevost and all I can say is that other DP's are just wannabes. The only comparison between a Prevost chassis and a sub $500,000 DP is that they all have the engine in the rear.
Based on millions of miles of experience, Prevost knows what will last and what will not. I believe that the Prevost still comes with a two piece windshield. Many others have tried the one piece windshield, AND failed miserably. A Prevost will not shake itself apart on the road, like other coaches. They are designed for reliable long distance travel that usually includes things like 1500+ mile fuel range, large fresh water and waste water tanks, generators so quiet that you have to be right next to one to hear it running, copper plumbing, 20,000 trailer hitch as a standard, engine fires suppression system as standard, and so on.
They are not practical for everyone but are unbeatable if you plan to put tens of thousands of miles on your coach each year.

The only BAD BAD part of a prevost converted bus to mh is the poor power.515HP especially pulling 10K is pathetic.My good friend owns one(2009) and when loaded he goes up mountain passes extremely slow
and is slow on stop sign exceleration etc.

Red, I'm not sure which converter your friend has but the new Volvo 500 hp unit is quite nice on the hills. I test drove a 2014 Marathon and a 2015 Liberty Coach back in late Feb. Both responded the same as they both have the same engine.

I was actually impressed with the pick-up and speed that it took on the Chiriaco Summit on the I-10 just east of Palm Springs. I took both coaches on the exact same test drive (about 50 miles). At about 51,000-52,000 lbs. each (one 3 slide, one 2 slide), they both fell to about 50-52 on the steep incline which is acceptable as the large trucks are going much slower. My 40,000 lb. 425 hp Cummins was a little slower than the 500 hp Volvo (not apples to apples).

MM.

On edit: The 500 hp Volvo has 1,750 lb. ft or torque. The 515 hp Detroit Diesel has about 1,650 lb. ft. of torque.

Mark
you could not have a better comparison as that is the pass he said he a little shy on.He has a 3500 dodge ram 4x4 and when the MH is loaded and pulling the ram he said hes down to 40MPH.Your 50MPH on steep incline makes sense as your not loaded and not towing a dodge diesel 4x4 ram 3500.I think the newel(loaded) will pass a prevost like its tied to a tree with their 650HP engine

Red, the 650 hp Cummins has 1,950 lb. ft. of torque so it will climb a little better. If you are going to tow anything that heavy with any motorhome you are going to slow down. We'll be towing our 3,500 lb. Honda so we shouldn't slow too much.

We took delivery of the new coach today. Wow, I'm so pleased with the finished product. The fit and finish is absolutely amazing.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
One other small issue is the ability to STOP the baby, or controlling speed on long mountains. Talking about the high end like Prevost and Newell, neither have the transmission retarder as standard like Foretravel which also have the Meritor Disk Brakes, They work great and with both stops like your car.
Never drove anything heavy that stops nearly as well.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
It truly is a laughing matter about HP, towing on mountains etc, WOW!, Am guessing since I am a basic hot rod type is why I went looking for something that would get up & go, after many months of snooping, reading all the engine specs etc, I wound up with a Foretrael 36, 1 slide, ISM500 @ 1550 ftlb and weight at 30,000 half water and fuel. Not a full timer, so not carrying all the normal junk.
Point is the getup is 0-60 mph in 18 seconds, while not a tire spinning smoking rubber, it is very pleasing.
This is not my first RV so had some thoughts over the years leading up to this unit.
Pass all RV/Bus types on mountain including all but one truck who was very surprised. He was empty, running a 600 hp Cummins, so his weight to hp was a tad better than mine, we both had a laugh.
The numbers are what count, my numbers are 60lb/hp and 18lb/ftlb.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
So if I want to see the big boys I should look just for people test driving them to see which HP will out run the other huh? Man this really got off track!!! So they never stop to camp, just keep running down the road, I guess. Once in a while you got to stop and smell the roses.

redguard
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
redguard wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
From my own experience with the Prevost chassis is that they are built for continuous duty and designed for long life, high mileage, applications. That is why they are used primarily by NASCAR drivers, celebrities, and other notables that criss-cross the country on a daily basis. Their livelihood depends on them getting from point A to point B and they cannot afford the occasional breakdown/delay that the rest of us have to endure in a "standard" RV. Prevost chassis coaches are built to last 1,000,000 miles as a minimum with minimal interruption of service.
I've put several thousand miles on a Liberty Prevost and all I can say is that other DP's are just wannabes. The only comparison between a Prevost chassis and a sub $500,000 DP is that they all have the engine in the rear.
Based on millions of miles of experience, Prevost knows what will last and what will not. I believe that the Prevost still comes with a two piece windshield. Many others have tried the one piece windshield, AND failed miserably. A Prevost will not shake itself apart on the road, like other coaches. They are designed for reliable long distance travel that usually includes things like 1500+ mile fuel range, large fresh water and waste water tanks, generators so quiet that you have to be right next to one to hear it running, copper plumbing, 20,000 trailer hitch as a standard, engine fires suppression system as standard, and so on.
They are not practical for everyone but are unbeatable if you plan to put tens of thousands of miles on your coach each year.

The only BAD BAD part of a prevost converted bus to mh is the poor power.515HP especially pulling 10K is pathetic.My good friend owns one(2009) and when loaded he goes up mountain passes extremely slow

Red, I'm not sure which converter your friend has but the new Volvo 500 hp unit is quite nice on the hills. I test drove a 2014 Marathon and a 2015 Liberty Coach back in late Feb. Both responded the same as they both have the same engine.

I was actually impressed with the pick-up and speed that it took on the Chiriaco Summit on the I-10 just east of Palm Springs. I took both coaches on the exact same test drive (about 50 miles). At about 51,000-52,000 lbs. each (one 3 slide, one 2 slide), they both fell to about 50-52 on the steep incline which is acceptable as the large trucks are going much slower. My 40,000 lb. 425 hp Cummins was a little slower than the 500 hp Volvo (not apples to apples).

MM.

On edit: The 500 hp Volvo has 1,750 lb. ft or torque. The 515 hp Detroit Diesel has about 1,650 lb. ft. of torque.

Mark
you could not have a better comparison as that is the pass he said he a little shy on.He has a 3500 dodge ram 4x4 and when the MH is loaded and pulling the ram he said hes down to 40MPH.Your 50MPH on steep incline makes sense as your not loaded and not towing a dodge diesel 4x4 ram 3500.I think the newel(loaded) will pass a prevost like its tied to a tree with their 650HP engine

Yep, an obvious problem if you spent all of the time on the road going uphill on steep passes. The 650 HP might do better on the 1-2% of the time you are on a steep incline but are you going to be paying the fuel mileage penalty for the other 98% of the time? There are no free rides.

Really not sure what point your trying to make but mine was and is if one pays 1.5 million for a MH I would have hoped to have more uphill pulling power than a 300K unit and when in fact have less.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
redguard wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

MM.

Mark

Yep, an obvious problem if you spent all of the time on the road going uphill on steep passes. The 650 HP might do better on the 1-2% of the time you are on a steep incline but are you going to be paying the fuel mileage penalty for the other 98% of the time? There are no free rides.

redguard
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

MM.

Mark

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We have been fultiming for 8 years, starting our 9th in November. Have never
stayed in a Walmart, nor do we intend to. Personal preference, I guess.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

MM.

Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Then he did not order it with the proper gearing. Just like 18 wheelers that travel the mountain roads, the gearing is ordered to match the usage. The 500HP Volvo engine is more than capable of moving a fully loaded Prevost coach up any mountain pass.

Those Prevosts can outpower my EX POS Caterpillar C9 powered coach and make it look like it is standing still. I had this happen several times in the Yukon and in Alaska. The Cruise Lines all use Prevosts to ferry people around on land, and they would pass me like I was standing still, even fully loaded with what looked like every seat full.

The Prevosts are also made for rough duty too. They would travel back and forth when the cruise ships from Skagway were docked to do a Top of the World highway tour. The Top of the world highway is a rough and dusty dirt road on a good day, and on a bad day it is a mud pit. They hauled by me and I doubt the passengers were getting a rough ride or I am sure they would complain.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
WHO CARES I don not - more space for us.

etruitt wrote:
Just returned from approx. 8K mile trip from NC to OR and back. In all the campgrounds we stayed at we didn't see any of the Prevost motorhomes. Where do they stay? Am I missing something?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT