cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automotive vs. RV antifreeze

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Can I use regular automotive antifreeze in the black and gray water tanks and sink traps or must I use the RV antifreeze? I am in NE AR and only blow out the water lines to winterize our MH.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity
43 REPLIES 43

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the RV Antifreeze

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so it is a small amount but what happens if we all start using it in small amounts as a way to dump some leftover automotive anti-freeze. I think the issue is that a lot of small amounts a big amount makes and once you get started it may continue and then a problem pops up. So points well taken but it is not a very good idea to do it.
Bob

11B
Explorer
Explorer
Got er solved for ya. Since cash is no biggie may I suggest you buy about three 1/2 gallons of Vodka and pour er in the traps. Should work A O K? Belive it or not I winterized my boats water system with it for 10 years or more. Come spring I'd pour about three galls of orange juice in the fresh water tank and call all my pals for a boat waxing party.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
Scott you are completely wrong. From the EPA, "Antifreeze is toxic to humans and animals. Waste antifreeze contains heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, and chromium in high enough levels to potentially make it a regulated hazardous waste, so most states strictly regulate antifreeze disposal."

Do you want that stuff in your water system or environment? It is totally irresponsible to dump any amount down the sewer.

I did not know that, that is why I asked. I will be using RV antifreeze and hope for the best.

Keep in mind RV "antifreeze" actually will freeze to some extent. It will turn to a mush at about -20*F and to a solid at about-50*F in full concentration. It will freeze at higher temperatures when mixed with water.

The big difference between RV antifreeze and water is that the RV antifreeze doesn't expand when it freezes. Most damage is done when water expands and breaks things as it freezes.

We've been using RV antifreeze in full concentration in fresh water lines and P traps for many years. The coldest it gets around us is -30*F and that's unusual.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
A quiet, sensible voice in the crowd.

Another option would be to use a vacuum cleaner, reversing the hose, and blow out the traps. Dewater the coach, potable and waste.

Now a new question - are the chemicals sold to hide tank orders safe for the environment?

If you empty the p-traps, be sure and use the stoppers. Smells from gray tank will permeate the RV.

Formaldehyde for instance dumped in sewers?

And don't forget those outside shower fixtures.........

jlrobison2
Explorer
Explorer
If you blow out your lines. Why not empty your holding tanks & buy a gallon of RV antifreeze is cheap . Put a small amout in your traps, Don't forget the your Trap on your close washer. AND FORGET IT. Did this for years .

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I bought some RV antifreeze from Walmart supposedly good to -50 degrees. I hope it will be that good, last thing I need is busted pipes. Thanks all for your input.
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
$12-$15 a gallon vs. $2-$4 a gallon . . . seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yeah - really don't understand the debate. I get the Wal*Mart brand for $3.47 per gallon, pre-mixed ("diluted" if you prefer). I've been using it for years in my pool because it's half the cost of stuff labeled "pool antifreeze" (which is the same thing). Good to -50F. Why mess around with automotive stuff?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
To ScottG, Redguard and dcbrewer. I hope you have read at least the messages here and have changed your mind about deposing of toxic chemicals(anti-freeze included) and protecting our underground water supplies. I remember when everyone buried gas and diesel tanks because that was the "right" thing to do. Now communities are spending Millions to mitigate contaminated water supplies from those underground tanks.

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere.. Perhaps you have a different supplier of RV type antifreeze than the rest of us. All rv type that I have seen is sold as UN diluted and rated as
-50 or -20 . so using 2 cups or so in each trap will give you adequate protection. A gallon might last you 2 or 3 years . Try sourcing your purchase at home improvement stores, hardware stores, convenience stores and the usual wal Mart and K mart . Good luck . BTW around my neck of the woods the RV stuff
is about 4 bucks a gal
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
RoadAbode wrote:
As we age we learn that the way we do some jobs change. We learn new ways to do old things. In the end, using the right product will be better for all.

So let's learn about why automotive antifreeze should not be put into our sewer systems or watersheds:
From the EPA
Antifreeze is toxic to humans and animals. Waste antifreeze contains heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, and chromium in high enough levels to potentially make it a regulated hazardous waste, so most states strictly regulate antifreeze disposal. Antifreeze generators and state and local programs should not dump spent antifreeze on land or discharge it into a sanitary sewer, storm drain, ditch, dry well, or septic system; dumping antifreeze can cause serious water quality problems and might harm people, pets, or wildlife.

Is wastewater treated? Yes, it is treated in order to reduce the hazards of the infectious agents that are in it. Waste water is not treated with the intention of neutralizing industrial chemicals, and in fact, disposal of industrial chemicals will frequently cause harm to the equipment that is used to treat waste water.

It is very naive (and dangerous) to assume that all of our waste water treatment plants are set up to neutralize any substance that someone chooses to dump into a septic or sewer system.

Please remember that waste water that goes into a SEPTIC system is NOT treated, it is merely filtered through dirt. That filtration will NOT remove any kind of industrial chemicals.
Also keep in mind that runoff into storm sewers is usually not treated, it just runs into the nearest river or lake. So, whatever is dumped on the ground either winds up in the ground water or gets washed into the nearest body of surface water.
Waste that goes into a municipal sewer system IS treated. The treatment may involve nothing more than aeration,settling, and filtration, or it may include chemical decontamination for biologicals. It may or may not be able to deal with (neutralize or filter out) industrial chemicals or drugs.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Dr Quick wrote:
Since RV antifreeze is about 1/3 the cost of Vehicle antifreeze, WHY would even consider using it?

I asked because I cannot find the undiluted RV antifreeze I used in our TTs, and I was worried about this diluted stuff not keeping the p traps from freezing since the water in there will dilute the rv antifreeze even more.
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since RV antifreeze is about 1/3 the cost of Vehicle antifreeze, WHY would even consider using it?
Dr Quick

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Where I live, you are not allowed to dump any automotive antifreeze in storm drains or down your sink drain. Big fine if they catch you. As mentioned, not all treatment plants are capable of treating antifreeze. If in doubt, call your sewage treatment company and ask.