cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The big boy class A's

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from approx. 8K mile trip from NC to OR and back. In all the campgrounds we stayed at we didn't see any of the Prevost motorhomes. Where do they stay? Am I missing something?
09 Holiday Rambler Neptune DP 35' 340HP Cummins 6 spd Allison Tranny
04 Dodge CTD LB 4WD, 6 sp,QC. 08 SunLite Eagle WS Popup TC.
Just me and DW on the road every chance we get!
53 REPLIES 53

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
redguard wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
From my own experience with the Prevost chassis is that they are built for continuous duty and designed for long life, high mileage, applications. That is why they are used primarily by NASCAR drivers, celebrities, and other notables that criss-cross the country on a daily basis. Their livelihood depends on them getting from point A to point B and they cannot afford the occasional breakdown/delay that the rest of us have to endure in a "standard" RV. Prevost chassis coaches are built to last 1,000,000 miles as a minimum with minimal interruption of service.
I've put several thousand miles on a Liberty Prevost and all I can say is that other DP's are just wannabes. The only comparison between a Prevost chassis and a sub $500,000 DP is that they all have the engine in the rear.
Based on millions of miles of experience, Prevost knows what will last and what will not. I believe that the Prevost still comes with a two piece windshield. Many others have tried the one piece windshield, AND failed miserably. A Prevost will not shake itself apart on the road, like other coaches. They are designed for reliable long distance travel that usually includes things like 1500+ mile fuel range, large fresh water and waste water tanks, generators so quiet that you have to be right next to one to hear it running, copper plumbing, 20,000 trailer hitch as a standard, engine fires suppression system as standard, and so on.
They are not practical for everyone but are unbeatable if you plan to put tens of thousands of miles on your coach each year.

The only BAD BAD part of a prevost converted bus to mh is the poor power.515HP especially pulling 10K is pathetic.My good friend owns one(2009) and when loaded he goes up mountain passes extremely slow
and is slow on stop sign exceleration etc.

Then he did not order it with the proper gearing. Just like 18 wheelers that travel the mountain roads, the gearing is ordered to match the usage. The 500HP Volvo engine is more than capable of moving a fully loaded Prevost coach up any mountain pass.

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
We're at Oasis in Las Vegas and I have talked to several "Prevost" owners here. Actually had a nice long conversation with a couple who had just bought it and were on their maiden voyage. Beautiful coach! They do need the bigger spaces though.
I travel in a larger MH towing a car and the previous poster who said you can't just hop off the highway and explore is right, seems like every time I get in trouble ending up in a pot I can't turn around in, etc.

redguard
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
From my own experience with the Prevost chassis is that they are built for continuous duty and designed for long life, high mileage, applications. That is why they are used primarily by NASCAR drivers, celebrities, and other notables that criss-cross the country on a daily basis. Their livelihood depends on them getting from point A to point B and they cannot afford the occasional breakdown/delay that the rest of us have to endure in a "standard" RV. Prevost chassis coaches are built to last 1,000,000 miles as a minimum with minimal interruption of service.
I've put several thousand miles on a Liberty Prevost and all I can say is that other DP's are just wannabes. The only comparison between a Prevost chassis and a sub $500,000 DP is that they all have the engine in the rear.
Based on millions of miles of experience, Prevost knows what will last and what will not. I believe that the Prevost still comes with a two piece windshield. Many others have tried the one piece windshield, AND failed miserably. A Prevost will not shake itself apart on the road, like other coaches. They are designed for reliable long distance travel that usually includes things like 1500+ mile fuel range, large fresh water and waste water tanks, generators so quiet that you have to be right next to one to hear it running, copper plumbing, 20,000 trailer hitch as a standard, engine fires suppression system as standard, and so on.
They are not practical for everyone but are unbeatable if you plan to put tens of thousands of miles on your coach each year.

The only BAD BAD part of a prevost converted bus to mh is the poor power.515HP especially pulling 10K is pathetic.My good friend owns one(2009) and when loaded he goes up mountain passes extremely slow
and is slow on stop sign exceleration etc.

oldkarphart
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

What He Said!! + Drive one and you'll see the difference too.๐Ÿ™‚
Marathon
Grand Cherokee Toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
ChemistJason, the main cost is the chassis as it is a one piece unit. Everything is more robust as they are built mainly for long term (miles) passenger buses.

The other costs related to the conversion is that everything is custom made, it's not on a assembly line.

When the chassis is driven to the converter, it is an empty shell inside with a small temporary driver's seat. The slides are put in at the factory in Canada before it's sent to the converter. All the conversion is done after the shell is built. I would imagine that the front windshield is removed to put the appliances in along with any other large items.

Our converter paints the exterior before the inside is even touched. The whole painted surface is covered with a styrofoam material for protection and then the conversion starts and takes about 7 months.

Another cost are the amenities. The total cost will depend on what the customer wants inside.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ChemistJason
Explorer
Explorer
I just stumbled across this and I think it relates well to a question I have about Prevost. Why are they so expensive??? I know the short answer to that question is "because people will pay that price", but what is the primary difference between a Prevost and something like a Newmar or Tiffin that costs $100's of thousands less?

I realize fit a finish can really start piling on costs, but is there something inherently different about the engine/transmission/etc on a Prevost which adds to the cost? Please bear in mind that I'm not much of a gearhead, so any explanations about engine related components will need to be dumbed down to elementary school levels.;)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
Sure they're cool to look at, but I really don't feel out of place in my '01 Tradewinds LTC when I'm parking next to one. The one that I liked was my neighbor at Oasis in Vegas that had sold his 1.8M Prevost to his best friend for 1.5M and was waiting to take delivery on his new 45' Dynamax quad slide.I asked him why and he said that the Prevost actually had some things he didn't like and also, the Dynamax had a 40K tow rate and his cargo trailer weighed in at 25K.
I have also stayed at Pacific in Newport and you can stay there if you meet certain standards and there are spaces available.

That is so funnyโ€ฆ..I sold my 45' Dynamax with quad slides for my prevost. The Dynamax Grand Sport Ultra was an amazing machine and I really liked it but my wife was not crazy about the "truck" drive and feel compared to the prevost. Amazing as it may seem, even though the dynamax is a $500K coach there where many resorts that turned me away because it wasn't a class Aโ€ฆ..oh well, there was always someone right down the road willing to take my cashโ€ฆโ€ฆ.LOL

I'm pretty sure the Prevosts have a 20,000 lb. tow rating. It really is hard to find anything more unless you go to a truck type motorhome (ie: The Dynamax). Prevosts are made mainly for passenger transportation and to put on lots of road miles. Transforming them into a motorhomes is their 2nd duty and the focus is not to carry a large trailer, that's not what they are made for.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
Sure they're cool to look at, but I really don't feel out of place in my '01 Tradewinds LTC when I'm parking next to one. The one that I liked was my neighbor at Oasis in Vegas that had sold his 1.8M Prevost to his best friend for 1.5M and was waiting to take delivery on his new 45' Dynamax quad slide.I asked him why and he said that the Prevost actually had some things he didn't like and also, the Dynamax had a 40K tow rate and his cargo trailer weighed in at 25K.
I have also stayed at Pacific in Newport and you can stay there if you meet certain standards and there are spaces available.

That is so funnyโ€ฆ..I sold my 45' Dynamax with quad slides for my prevost. The Dynamax Grand Sport Ultra was an amazing machine and I really liked it but my wife was not crazy about the "truck" drive and feel compared to the prevost. Amazing as it may seem, even though the dynamax is a $500K coach there where many resorts that turned me away because it wasn't a class Aโ€ฆ..oh well, there was always someone right down the road willing to take my cashโ€ฆโ€ฆ.LOL
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Jonny_31C
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Stayed at a class a resort in lauderdale last year and it was nothing but prevosts. Must have been 50 or more. A majority Canadian. We must have looked like the groundskeepers in our tiny little mh.

Must have Been Aztec Resort..I stayed there in March and I felt like a pauper in my 40' Phaeton. What a beautiful resort though with some REALLY nice coaches
Jonny
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
:B
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
2 amazing kids, 2 beagles

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
My prevost has such large capacities (fresh, grey, black) and a big bank of batteries that unless we find campgrounds that are easy in and out while traveling we are just as comfortable staying at rest areas, wal marts or truck stops traveling to our destinationsโ€ฆ..I can easily go 10 days with full tanks before we need to find water and a dump. I'll admit it, I like "resort" campgrounds that cater to big rigs and not just the one's that "say" they do. Many people in our prevost club worked our way up to a Prevost. I've had 7 coaches since we started the lifestyle. Started with a B+โ€ฆ.Went to a Cโ€ฆ.then a super Cโ€ฆ.then my winnebago journeyโ€ฆ..then a winnebago vectraโ€ฆ.my last coach was a 45' Dynamax truck conversion and now my prevost.

We own a site at Bryn Mawr in St. Augustine which is a campground that allows everything from Pop ups to prevosts and I love the fact that there is such a diverse crowd of campersโ€ฆโ€ฆfact is we all LOVE camping and are just doing it at various levels of comfort. If you want to see a bunch of prevost coaches just find out where they rally and you can see dozens and dozens of them from 20-30 year old classics to the newest with the latest and greatest. There in lies the difference between the prevosts, newell, foretravel coaches. They are built like tanks and can easily run for 30 years + with regular maintenance. The house portion on these coaches are built to last as long as the million mile plus chassis.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
They just had a big rally in Alabama.....We are on Hilton Head Island and there are probably 10 in here.....Dennis

Must be your magnetic personality Dennis! :B :B
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
And have witnessed folks having a campfire in a Walmart parking lot and they did not think they had any problems.

koda55 wrote:
We stay at Walmarts and run our genny all night long. We have never had any problems. We also stay at truck stops and run it all night there.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for asking, right now we're in dry camping at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. There are several Prevost and Newell coaches here.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one