cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The upside of owning a 90s Class A

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
1. I bought a factory electrical book for $12, shipping included.
2. R-12 is colder than R134a.
3. Glass headlights that don't fade.
4. Parts are easy and cheap.

🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
RetSgt7114 wrote:
Good points until you someday have to recharge the ac and you have to convert to R134a. :S

I'm finding that there are quite a few cans of R-12 out there for sale on the larger sites. Seems people bought them by the cases and now have no need for them, so they're just taking up space. Sure they may be $15 a can, but R-134 isn't cheap these days. If I ever need work, I may just stick with the R-12.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
It seems all things on the older units are under the umbrella of " keep it simple " I don't have a transfer switch to screw up, I don't have a circuit board to control the refrigerator. It seems to me these are a couple of main complaints people have about the newer ones.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 17 years old and the dash AC is still very cold. Original fridge, furnace. Both roof air cond. original. Belts and hoses new tires as well. All new fluids and filters and ready to roll another year.

Central Oregon and then the Oregon coastal lakes in 2 weeks. Keep movin.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:
1. I bought a factory electrical book for $12, shipping included.
2. R-12 is colder than R134a.
3. Glass headlights that don't fade.
4. Parts are easy and cheap.

🙂

5. Permanent registration: NO renewal needed! (At least, that's the way it is here in Montana, for ANY vehicle 11 years old or older. I will renew my motorhome registration next month, and NEVER have to do it again!)
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ScottnSherrie
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 1988 and kind of know what you mean. Mine was built in a way I could rip out sections and rebuild if needed. I even rebuilt the entire roof on my own. Having a Ford 460 driving a C6 transmission doesn't give me great top cruising speed or fuel economy but it does make the easy to work on or even locate customized replacements such as C6 transmission built specifically for towing and hauling.
88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parts for the engine/chassis.

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
Good points until you someday have to recharge the ac and you have to convert to R134a. :S
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years