cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about buying a class c

LM3
Explorer
Explorer
I am retired and thinking about buying a class c for my wife and me.How old can I consider? What should I look for? Do not want a real big one.
27 REPLIES 27

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
LM3 wrote:
Where is the best place to find used class c motor homes?

As best as I can tell, the RVTrader web site is the best game in town. It allows you to set up a search with parameters such as length, distance from you, price, etc. Then you can save the search and get emails when something comes up that fits your criteria. That's how I found my motorhome.

Craigslist is SOMETIMES OK, but beware of scams. ONLY deal with someone local.

Facebook Marketplace is another source. You can narrow the distance and price, but that's about all the filters that work well. The advantage is that you can look up the seller. Again, only deal with someone local.

If you do search outside your geographic area, be sure to hunt for a good inspector.

I would not buy a RV that you have to get shipped to you.

NEVER buy an RV without inspection, preferably by yourself.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

LM3
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the best place to find used class c motor homes?

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Things to look for I have found value in while having in a class C โ€ฆ.

Walk into shower. Some showers you have to step up to get into them.

Corner shower, some are bigger than others. Big ones are real roomy inside.

Wall switches for turning lights on & off.

Counter space by the kitchen sink for food prep.

Large outside rear storage. They can be up to 100cu ft.

No window over the headboard of the bed.

Livable with slide(s) in.

A north south bed that is offset to one side. That gives you room to walk & dress on one side.

60x80 real queen bed. Uses standard bed sheets and such.

Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis. As a Ford guy, I have found the Chevy better. Hate to admit that.

Just a comment. All class Cs have an overhead above the cab designed to be a bed or audio center. It is a great place for storing things. My current rig has lots of storage behind the TV in the overhead area.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
In MD make sure the unit you buy is already state inspected because that is a can of worms if not....but it never has to be done again. A diesel is even better, never an emissions inspection. I had a couple of Cs a long time ago another thing to check is the furl tank.....neither of those 2 I had would go 200mi on a tank.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on condition we have a 25ft on a sprinter works great for us , and over 16mpg makes me smile. short trips of 500 miles an couple long hauls to AZ lot leg room .

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Number 1 thing is to decide on a budget. Be sure to include enough for taxes and registration. Also allow for critical things after you need it, such as tires, or appliance replacement. You will also want to have some funds for general setup, such as dishes, bedding, etc.

Number 2 thing is that it have no water leaks. Go over it with a fine-tooth comb.

Number 3 thing is that you and your wife are going to be happy in it.

*Are you agile and willing to use the over-cab bunk? Does one or both of you get up a lot at night? Consider bed access. Consider that you might split your sleeping arrangements, if that is something that will make life simpler.

*Does it have a comfortable place for both of you to sit? Consider if you are computer users or TV watchers or hobbyists. You want a spot to do all of that and a standard dinette is probably not going to be comfortable for 2 people to do things. Maybe look for a sofa, or a setup where you could readily replace the dinette with a loveseat or twin recliners.

*Are you people who can travel light or do you have to bring the kitchen sink? Take into consideration the inside storage.

For 2 people IMHO the best floor plan is going to have a slide-out so you don't fall over each other all the time while trying to cook, eat, and move around in the RV. That gets really annoying. I do not have a slide but I am mostly by myself.

There are lots of tips for pre-buying inspection checklists. Do your reading and learn about what to look for.

Decide on your parameters and set up alerts on RVTrader. Be willing to wait a while to get exactly what you want.

Yes, Yes, and Yes! This pretty much sums it up!
Brian

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The condition of the RV is more important than the age.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was looking to get back in to the RV world after selling my Class A,I looked at the used market,and with a budget it seemed to be futile,to find one in decent shape.

My search led me to the Rental Market Here you can find used, well maintained RVs that are priced well under the new price.

There are more than 125 forum members here that have been very happy with their choice.

It is another tool to use while looking for that RV.

Good Luck.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Number 1 thing is to decide on a budget. Be sure to include enough for taxes and registration. Also allow for critical things after you need it, such as tires, or appliance replacement. You will also want to have some funds for general setup, such as dishes, bedding, etc.

Number 2 thing is that it have no water leaks. Go over it with a fine-tooth comb.

Number 3 thing is that you and your wife are going to be happy in it.

*Are you agile and willing to use the over-cab bunk? Does one or both of you get up a lot at night? Consider bed access. Consider that you might split your sleeping arrangements, if that is something that will make life simpler.

*Does it have a comfortable place for both of you to sit? Consider if you are computer users or TV watchers or hobbyists. You want a spot to do all of that and a standard dinette is probably not going to be comfortable for 2 people to do things. Maybe look for a sofa, or a setup where you could readily replace the dinette with a loveseat or twin recliners.

*Are you people who can travel light or do you have to bring the kitchen sink? Take into consideration the inside storage.

For 2 people IMHO the best floor plan is going to have a slide-out so you don't fall over each other all the time while trying to cook, eat, and move around in the RV. That gets really annoying. I do not have a slide but I am mostly by myself.

There are lots of tips for pre-buying inspection checklists. Do your reading and learn about what to look for.

Decide on your parameters and set up alerts on RVTrader. Be willing to wait a while to get exactly what you want.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking-had decided to get a Chevy chassis-bigger front foot/leg well, no heat emitting from the engine/trans. to the passenger seating area. Wanted to get slightly used-figured the previous owner had gotten the wrinkles ironed out and much better price. Wanted a gas-V8 engine-stove had to have an oven + the microwave, wanted cross ventilation in upper sleeping area/sliding windows. Ended up with a 2017 450Chevy chassis(bought it in 2018) with 6700 miles on it(still under Factory Warranty)-V8 6.0 gas engine, Forest River Forester 2251SLE-24ft. Perfect for myself, wife and dog. My wife can and will drive it. Small enough so we can take it everywhere-don't need a toad. If needed we use Uber or rent a car.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

LM3
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to keep the price way down.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
RENT two Class Cs. Medium size, small size and go camping. This will help you decide on size, drivability etc. You may not want a โ€œreal big oneโ€ but after three days of rain and staying inside...you may.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
of course I have a preference. Winnebago View, 24 feet long, easy to drive, preat diesel engine.

Check out the various floor plans to see which suits you.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.