cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about down sizing and would like your comments...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Due to age, believe it's time to begin driving something a bit smaller...so thinking about moving from our current class A to a class C. Been looking at a Thor, Freedom Elite FE 26. But, some on line reviews are not so good re: fit and finish. If you have knowledge of the pros or cons of this unit, I'd like very much to hear back from you. Thanking you in advance.../ Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
18 REPLIES 18

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
rvten wrote:
We went from a 35' Winnebago Adventurer class A to a 29' Winnebago Aspect.
I like not having the Rug Ray room over head.

Tom or Bonny: I know about the 'bed space' over the cab but what's a "Rug Ray over head"?
:B

Typo: Suppose to be Rug Rat Room. (kids Area)
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
so thinking about moving from our current class A to a class C.

Thor Four Winds.

https://thormotorcoach.com/fourwinds/

My advice would be to get the split bathroom floor plan - shower on one side and sink on other side, it will give you the Class A front to back openness feeling. The ones with the bathroom closet floor plan with long hallway does not. And the bathroom in the bedroom is a space hog big time leaving you not much room in the bedroom. JMHO

Also be aware that there are 2 chassis's available. E-350 and E-450.

IMHO the only way to go on a C is the E-450.

Good Luck on your endeavor on finding just the right new or new to you MH for your travels. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
I like not having the Rug Ray room over head.

Tom or Bonny: I know about the 'bed space' over the cab but what's a "Rug Ray over head"?
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

badbob1
Explorer
Explorer
we sized down from a 5th wheel to a Forest River Solera 24R and am very pleased. Only problem now is that most of the grandchildren now old enough to want to go with us. Will probably trade in our smaller unit for a larger one for this reason. When we purchased the Solera we thought we had made the best choice. As things change I just need to change also. Will be a costly thing to do but we do enjoy the kids.
BadBob

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I downsized from 40' conversion to 11' Truck Camper.
A bit misleading as so-called 11 foot camper has cabover to make almost 21' in lenght.
With slide it is way more comfortable than 20' ClassC I owned years ago.
Had truck for business, so it was no brainier.
Hopefully will go part time with TC this year, so we see how it go.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter. Seems to be well constructed, high gloss wooden cabinetry, reclining theater seats, Twin beds that also convert to a king size bed. Fit and finish are good in most areas but there places where the trainee may not have been supervised. All problems have been minor and readily addressed by the dealer. In over 9000 miles, I've averaged 16+ mpg, not towing because it has not been necessary. (Did rent a car to go into Canada on visit to Niagara Falls)

Judging by comments on most RV boards, quality control is an industry wide problem. Winnebago and Thor are not the only ones taking hits.
It really pays to do a thorough PDI before accepting the RV. I've replaced missing screws, tied up cable runs, tightened nuts and bolts and connected the antenna to the cabin stereo. Probably pretty common for today's RV's.

I down sized from a GeorgieBoy 36ft Dp last June and enjoy the smaller RV.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pretty nice class C.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
rockhillmanor wrote:
If you're satisfied with your current Itasca, buy another Winnebago product. You'll be trading down on quality going from a Winnebago to a Thor. Good luck!

Excuuuse me!?

I've traveled with my friends in their Winnebago for a couple of years going to sporting events. Which is what prompted me to look at 'other' manufacturer's when it came time for me to buy my own MH.

My main concern was wanting to buy one that used REAL solid wood for the cabinets and drawers that were built on REAL solid wood and metal slides. And an interior that was made with QUALITY materials.

moisheh wrote:
Larry>... We looked at one Winnie and the cupboard door were not solid wood. Particle board with a thin vinyl wrap that peels in the heat. ..

X2!

If you ever want to know what MH stands up best? go to a sporting event. Not like the races either. One where it is the RV'ers 'hobby'. these units are driven hundreds of thousands of miles, used excessively/abused compared to the weekend camper. Rode hard and put away wet only to do it again the following weekend 12 months a year! And when they go to buy a new one their used one is sold to another hobby member to use for yet another go around.

You will find that 8 our of 10 Class C MH's parked at any given event is a Thor. Just saying. Built well with quality materials and holds up to the test of time when used excessively.

Do you own a Thor? If so, what model?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you're satisfied with your current Itasca, buy another Winnebago product. You'll be trading down on quality going from a Winnebago to a Thor. Good luck!

Excuuuse me!?

I've traveled with my friends in their Winnebago for a couple of years going to sporting events. Which is what prompted me to look at 'other' manufacturer's when it came time for me to buy my own MH.

My main concern was wanting to buy one that used REAL solid wood for the cabinets and drawers that were built on REAL solid wood and metal slides. And an interior that was made with QUALITY materials.

moisheh wrote:
Larry>... We looked at one Winnie and the cupboard door were not solid wood. Particle board with a thin vinyl wrap that peels in the heat. ..

X2!

If you ever want to know what MH stands up best? go to a sporting event. Not like the races either. One where it is the RV'ers 'hobby'. these units are driven hundreds of thousands of miles, used excessively/abused compared to the weekend camper. Rode hard and put away wet only to do it again the following weekend 12 months a year! And when they go to buy a new one their used one is sold to another hobby member to use for yet another go around.

You will find that 8 our of 10 Class C MH's parked at any given event is a Thor. Just saying. Built well with quality materials and holds up to the test of time when used excessively.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I like not having the Rug Rat room over head.

I corrected misspelling
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
See Ron Dittmer's take on Class C & rankings, on quality & construction -------->

Thread Here - Click

Good Luck!
Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Also maybe look at Nexus Class C. I have no knowledge but they look pretty good.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Larry> First a disclaimer: I have never owned a Class C. BUT we looked long and hard this fall for 18 to 30 ft. unit. WE were buying used with a less than $40,000 budget. I was shocked at some of the junk on the market. The popular units seem to be the worst. Horrible cabinetry. We looked at one Winnie and the cupboard door were not solid wood. Particle board with a thin vinyl wrap that peels in the heat. Some of the best are no longer in production: Triple E and Bigfoot come to mind. Lazydays still is around and although I did not like some of the floor plans they are well made. Be aware that if you are buying used many of the units for sale are X rentals. We ended up with a 2004 26 ft. Safari Trek class A.

Moisheh

Triple E that used to build Class A (and others) is not around any more but is now Leisure Vans with a line up of Class B and B+ units. Check out their website. The units are very well made and have some innovative features.
They are made in Canada and with our current low $ value, there should be some good deals on the American market. The units are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know your budget and is none of my business but downsizing does not mean going from an A to a C. Newmar has several class a units that have good quality, fit and finish are good, and may be in the size you are looking for. Nice sized tanks too.

And I'm somewhat prejudiced as I just ordered a 31 footer.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT