cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This is what I need to protect my windshield

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
After 6 rocks on my windshield in a one and a half year!

Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
13 REPLIES 13

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's part of life, but not a fun part. Stay far back if you can. Keep a nice long distance and also if you are on a 2 lane highway with a service road that you can halfway drive on, move over a bit. It also helps with wind gusts.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried replying to this thread on several occasions over the past couple days. Every time I include a link the system will not accept the post. Is there something I'm missing? Are links no longer allowed?
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I did saw someone with a screen in Alaska, a small German or French RV.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like and Australian outback bus. They call the set up a Roo-Bar as in kangaroo. Keeps the critters from coming thru the windshield at 120KPH. The road train have them to protect the radiator. Kangaroo, Australian for White Tail Deer.

Certainly will help but will be a custom job and the associated cost. Something else to check is any traffic safety down checks. Not sure about how this would work in the Great White North but down south they sometimes can get a bit fussy concerning anything that might, could or does obstruct a clear view forward. If you do get one made just have it designed so you can remove the screen in the field just incase. Removable will make cleaning the windshield a bit easier also.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a few new things when I am on a winter road with gravel and still got 2 hit in about 100 miles.
1. Do not let the big truck pass you, here there are locked at around 62 MPH so it is not too hard to keep up.
2. If a car or especially a pick up passes you, decelerate quickly and move to the right.
3. When you cross a big truck, move to the right of the road and decelerate. Same as with a motorcycle, they tell you to move to the right when a truck is comming. It does make a big difference with the wind blow from the truck, I figure it would make a difference with rocks.
4. If possible, ride when the road is clear of snow and sand, still I got 2 rocks going on a road near Quartzsite Arizona.
5. Do not follow close to anyone, but especially big trucks or pick up, more distance if they do not have mud guard.
6. Stay clear of dirty truck with dirty tires.
7. Stay home!!

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I think they sand our roads with 3/4 minus. Just about everything i have owned has needed a windshield every year and sometimes a few a year and i only replace when the crack is in line of sight.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I went to AK too with the truck camper and up to Deadhorse twice, not one chip. One thing is that there is not much traffic on AK roads and on the Dalton, trucks really slow down when you cross them.

The windshield on the pick up is about 1/2 the one on the Class A.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
3 rocks came from car and pickup after they passed me, 2 from truck while passing. 2 came from heavy truck comming the oposite way on roads with abrasive in winter.

I am thinking of tryin some Weathearable Film on the windshield.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps you're following the vehicles in front of you too closely. ๐Ÿ™‚ We drove to spend the summer in Alaska and didn't get one rock chip - even on gravel roads.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
And/or slow tourists.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it works pretty good for moose also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
4 of the rocks hit on the bottom of the windshield.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
You'll spend a bunch of money and rock #7 will go just over the top of it. That's life ๐Ÿ™‚