cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

THOR DIESEL MH

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THE THOR PRODUCT IN THE MOTOR HOME AREA? I have always stayed away from Thor but what are your opinions. I have had NO problems but have heard some stories but wonder if owners of MHs feel the same?
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
26 REPLIES 26

pablo77
Explorer
Explorer
raymondfl wrote:
Jim,
You must have the best built Monaco Kight(Knight?)ever in 2008. For it to be ten times the Quality of my 2007 Mandalay it has to be the best product every built by Monaco as it was going broke. I have seen a lot of the Knights, Diplomats and have friends we travel with that own them, they are quite nice, but if you asked them they would also say the Mandalay is quite nice and hard to tell too much difference. I am afraid that 10 times the quality may be somewhat far fetched. As you may notice by just the answers in this post, almost every Mandalay owner is very happy with quality and price.
Enjoy you Kight, it must be a very good motorhome.

X2.My thoughts exactly.
I also have had outstanding service from the Thor factory and am very happy with my motorhome. I would suggest talking to other Thor owners will give you a more accurate indication of quality, especially those owners who have owned multiple motorhomes from different manufacturers. Many people bash a manufacturer's quality and service having never experienced either.
Pablo77
'08 Mandalay Presidio #3469

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
palazzo36 wrote:
I have been try to figure out how to get under my 2013 palazzo when I Park for about 4-5 months. Required to drop air pressure for the slides to go out. My little four legged friend would have trouble getting under. Any good ideals?

Bring the slide in and raise it up?
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

raymondfl
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
You must have the best built Monaco Kight(Knight?)ever in 2008. For it to be ten times the Quality of my 2007 Mandalay it has to be the best product every built by Monaco as it was going broke. I have seen a lot of the Knights, Diplomats and have friends we travel with that own them, they are quite nice, but if you asked them they would also say the Mandalay is quite nice and hard to tell too much difference. I am afraid that 10 times the quality may be somewhat far fetched. As you may notice by just the answers in this post, almost every Mandalay owner is very happy with quality and price.
Enjoy you Kight, it must be a very good motorhome.
Raymond W. Flischel
2007 Mandalay 40' DP

lunch_surfer
Explorer
Explorer
owed our Mandalay since 2009. Have had great service. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Thor folks have treated us like family since day one. We know many of them because of rallies and they have done lots more free work than we have ever expected.

CTC
Thanks,
lunch surfer
Mandalay 40e
Traveling USA looking for the best bike trails and campsites.

palazzo36
Explorer
Explorer
I have been try to figure out how to get under my 2013 palazzo when I Park for about 4-5 months. Required to drop air pressure for the slides to go out. My little four legged friend would have trouble getting under. Any good ideals?

Mike_and_Trish
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our second Thor DP, a 2014 Tuscany 40RX, after owning a 2008 Mandalay 43A for 4 years. We're totally satisfied with Thor Motor Coach's quality and performance, and especially their exceptional factory service center.

For what we wanted, we think that Thor provides the best bang for the buck, and we have never had any serious problems with either coach.
Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
When we were shopping, we (as in my DW) had settled on a specific floorplan in a new cross country at $160k, or very similar in a Tuscany at $260k.

I found it in a Monaco, 2 years old, at $160k. The Monaco is 10x the quality of the cross country, and triple the quality of the Tuscany.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

raymondfl
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned our Mandalay since it was new. Owned a POS from Country Coach before we purchased the Mandalay. If you notice all but one owner of Thor products has been positive, has had no problem with service after the warranty, of course there are problems with ALL makes, I watched a brand new Allegro Bus have the mobile repair guy at our park almost every week for the summer, but all the bugs got worked out and he now loves the unit. I do not think I have meant a Mandalay owner that did not like his unit. So if you think the Thor motorcoach provides a good value and has a floor plan that you like, I would not hesitate.
Raymond W. Flischel
2007 Mandalay 40' DP

nancyaldred
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking for 40 ft pushers and drove a Thor, liked it but had a Winnebago at the time. We felt the quality of the interior and the power were less than we wanted. We went home, with the $$$amount from Thor and quickly realized with a little more we could have our Phaeton. The quality seems more to our comfort. The Thor was beautiful and loved the floor plans.
Jim and Nancy
2012 Allegro Phaeton
Just waiting to retire...

DeWat
Explorer
Explorer
RVER wrote:
DeWat You say you sold your rig to buy a Winnebago but your signature says you have a Tiffen product Phaeton 40 ft which is quite different from the Hurricane for sure. What did you do with the 13 Winnebago. You must have been hit HARD with depreciation of the Hurricane and then the Winnebago. I feel for you but you end up with a VERY NICE unit that I do not have the money for but wish I did but maybe used!!!:)

As mentioned, the Hurricane was our first purchase to see if RVing was for us. After we were hooked, we "upgraded" to the Vista. Our plan was to keep the Vista for 5-10 years, then upgrade to our ultimate, but final goal, a diesel pusher. (In my spare time prior to retirement, I drove MCI buses and high end motorhomes for others since the mid 90's). Due to an unforeseen inheritance, we moved our "final" upgrade up hoping to again minimize the depreciation hit. The hit when we went from the Hurricane to the Vista was extremely small, which is why we eagerly moved our upgrade plans up. However, the hit from the Vista to the Phaeton was more "normal" (can you say ouch), but was still very acceptable to us for our now life long dream. Back on your original question, we loved the Hurricane and will always remember how that "entry level" gasser had some things that were much better than the "upgraded" Vista.
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
DeWat You say you sold your rig to buy a Winnebago but your signature says you have a Tiffen product Phaeton 40 ft which is quite different from the Hurricane for sure. What did you do with the 13 Winnebago. You must have been hit HARD with depreciation of the Hurricane and then the Winnebago. I feel for you but you end up with a VERY NICE unit that I do not have the money for but wish I did but maybe used!!!:)
S and S Co-Travelers

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Sunnybrook was a GREAT manufacturer but as with many companies, they could not survive the bad years so Winnebago bought it and is making pull trailers and fifthwheels now but not sure the quality of Sunnybrook is coming up to the standard of Sunnybrook from what I have seen. Some good, some not so good.
S and S Co-Travelers

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
No problems here. And Thor has awesome customer service. You have to read between the lines with respect to brand bashing. EVERY brand no matter how much you spend can, has, and will have issues.

X2 ๐Ÿ™‚

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
The jury is still out on my Thor Palazzo issues. I cannot provide an opinion right now. I am scheduled to go to Elkhart IN next month to go over my new Palazzo at the factory. I think after all that goes down as it has been planned I will be able to give a really good opinion. I know every situation is different. Mine has definitely been on the upper end of the extreme scale. I truly feel like this will be the true litmus test of Thor's customer service as a whole. Our troubles have had a ton of visibility. But one thing I have learned is throughout this whole process, nothing moves fast. You have to work with them. You cant get mad, upset or threatening. It takes persistence, a level head and facts. I think that is the common denominator when dealing with any manufacturer when you have problems.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters