cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thumping of slide awning in high gusty wind

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
During a trip back from New Mexico we ran into some really strong gusty winds. As we were driving along we could hear this thumping sound along the side of the coach. After going through a list of "...it could be..." we decided it was the wind catching the awning.

Now with all that said how do we stop the awning from potentially blowing off? Or coming unrolled while moving down the freeway?

Any suggestions or thoughts will be truly appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may be able to have someone increase the tension on the retraction spring which would help. If it is something that just started, you may even have a broken spring.

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
It is a slide topper. As for the make I don't know and my motor home is currently in storage so can't even run out and look. I suppose it makes a huge difference? Just my luck.

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
My awning kept coming loose, so I just took the dang awning off! Easy-peasy! ... :B

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
Is this an awning or a slide topper? Is it Dometic A&E or Carefree of Colorado?
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
How are these awning locks installed? Does it require using power tools? Like some folks I'm power tool challenged.

Thanks for the quick response.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used this one as have a lot of my friends, it works !!!

Had it happen to me then I installed this and had no problems since.

AWNING LOCK
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Jerry_Keller
Explorer
Explorer
You may need an "awning lock". After my patio awning unfurled while I was speeding down I15, I got serious and bought one. Search on RV.NET for "awning lock". You could also do a Google on that. I bought 3 from an online company. Eventually sold the other two to friends as I was too lazy to put onto my slide toppers.

I have a manual patio awning, so adding the lock was not a big hassle in terms of the opening process. With respect to the slide toppers, I would have to remember to go out and unlock each before opening the slides. Not sure I would remember. Also, I haven't had a slide topper unfurl problem that required me to change my mind.
Jerry Keller

2006 Bounder 35E, W22