cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tightening Motorhome Lugs

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have to tighten the lugs on their motorhome? I noticed today that I have several that are coming loose. My motorhome is as seen in my signature below. I am going to take it back to TCI Tires who put the new tires on last year. Since then I have run about 14,000 miles.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One
22 REPLIES 22

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
I have always used a 2', 3/4" breaker bar. I stand on the end and that gives me 400 ft/#s. I then give a small hop and they are tightened close enough to never come loose or stress the threads on the studs. Sometimes the members of this forum flat over think things.
Randy
Is that a calibrated hop?

If you "hop" 6" on that breaker bar we need to account for force from decelerated gravity from 32 ft/sec^2. So if F=m*a and a=v/t or a=d/t^2 we could determine force if we knew the movement of the breaker bar from 0 to 200 lbs. We'll need the elasticity constant of the breaker bar so we can derive the REAL torque. What kind of alloy is it?

That "hop" is an interesting variable to ponder . . . . We can always over think this!

But I like the simplicity of your method.

Best,
- c bob

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
AFTER proper torquing, if you want to ensure your lugs remain tight, simply put a dot of nail polish on the lug and corresponding spot on the wheel. A quick look will tell you if the lug is still tight. Dots together, all is ok, if they're apart, best look for a truck stop.....Dennis

Excellent idea!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
When properly tightened lug nuts will seldom come loose, BUT it does happen. That is why they should be re torqued after a few miles.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
AFTER proper torquing, if you want to ensure your lugs remain tight, simply put a dot of nail polish on the lug and corresponding spot on the wheel. A quick look will tell you if the lug is still tight. Dots together, all is ok, if they're apart, best look for a truck stop.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
Here's what I use to remove or, break the 450 lb. torqued lug nuts loose:

That tool, available on ebay, has a 1:75 gear ratio and you can sit on your little stool, and break a 450 lb. lug nut loose with ONE ARM. It's a fantastic tool. But, when it comes time to put them back on and torque them down, I can't use that tool because it's capable of actually breaking off those 3/4" diameter studs. So, I purchased, also off ebay, a 600 lb. torque wrench made by KD tools for, $75.00. It was calibrated prior to my purchasing it so, I know it's correct. The nice thing about having the appropriate torque wrench is, you can "ramp" up to the correct settings and final torque.

After any work, or brake inspections, I first set the wrench to click at about 150. Then, set the wrench to about 250-300 and make another round. Then the final 450 lbs. and make the final round. So, while it cost a couple of bucks for the correct and, very useful tools, it sure is nice to be able to remove any of those wheels and tires at anytime, for any reason and, re-install them to the proper torque.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
Your MH has what is called a "Hub piloted system and the lug nuts have washers attached to the lug nuts and you should put 2 drops of oil between the washer and the nut before torquing.

But some of us with older coaches have "Stud Piloted" wheels.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 6 new Michelins and my local tire shop said to comeback after 100 kilometers (60 miles) to have them re-torqued. Now I just have to get it out of the RV shop. . . .

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used a 2', 3/4" breaker bar. I stand on the end and that gives me 400 ft/#s. I then give a small hop and they are tightened close enough to never come loose or stress the threads on the studs. Sometimes the members of this forum flat over think things.
Randy

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
If you have aluminum wheels and have a tire off, they recommend torquing to 450 ft.lb. and after driving 100 miles to have re torqued.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bob, I'm surprised your tire guys didn't tell you to come back in a few days! My tire guys Les Schwab, always tell me to come back in about 3 days after a tire or wheel install to have my lug nuts re torqued!

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider getting the little plastic arrows that slide over the lug nuts. You can orient them in a familiar pattern and it will quickly tell you just by looking if they have moved.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
GrampaR123 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, doesn't your rig have Dicor stainless steel wheel covers? How did you discover that you had several loose lug nuts?

GrampaR123
In the last year since we bought our new tires we lost four chrome lug nut covers. I wanted to take one off the wheel so that I could match it at a truck store next week. I found one with a space under it so I realized it would be the easiest to remove. When I got it off I noticed that the reason for the space was the lug was backing off. I checked and found what appear to be a total of four or five for the entire coach. Needless to say it upset me as we just got back from a 4000 mile trip. I could not even imagine loosing a wheel on Interstate.
Bob and Ann
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the information. I will personally see that they set it at 475 pounds. I will also be sure that they oil the washer. I am surprised by this as the TCI that we bought the tires from only works on large rigs. You would think that they would know better.
Thanks again
Bob and Ann
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
To put it in perspective, to get 475 lbs of torque you need at least a 4 foot cheater bar and then apply 118 lbs of force/pressure to the bar to obtain 475 lbs of torque, or a 5 foot bar and apply 95 lbs of pressure. best to get some one who has a torque wrench that goes that high, Your MH has what is called a "Hub piloted system and the lug nuts have washers attached to the lug nuts and you should put 2 drops of oil between the washer and the nut before torquing. This is criticle so get it done before you drive any further or you will have a wheel come off. Her is a link to an article that tells you all about this hub piloted wheel system if you are interested.
Hub piloted
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD