cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to get a new toad

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing our Honda Element (aka "the toaster") and have had absolutely no problems with the car but with cracked seats, mileage, age, it's time to look for a replacement. We want a vehicle with a few more bells and whistles so we've been considering two based on weight/cost/mpg/body style. Chevy's Equinox and Chrysler's Jeep Compass. If you have one of these vehicles have you experienced any issues with them as a toad? On the Equinox, I don't really see where the tow bar would go?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
36 REPLIES 36

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Tow one of either a 1999 or 2005 Jeep GC. Both have been excellent with over 70,000 towing miles and clock miles of 180,000 between them.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
70,000 on my 4 door JK. Another 30,000 towing for a total 100,000 on drive train. Front end has been rebuilt as it is raised 3 inches. I have gone places sedans and mini vans will puncture the gas tank.
This vehicle has never left me stranded.

I will drive it till I cannot climb into it.

Pogoil.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
First Jeep we owned drove 299,000 without any major issues. Loved that Cherokee. Had a Grand Cherokee without any issues. Jeep Liberty - someone hit my wife head on, most other cars she would have died in from the crash. Never had problems with it. Now own a 2014 cherokee Trailhawk - no problems.

Good thing I don't believe everything I read. We will be buying another Jeep Grand Cherokee this fall. It's one of the best selling SUV's on the road.

Yep, sometimes you get lemons and sometimes lemonade.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

Vegasfoodguy, well, my brand spanking new 1996 Grand Cherokee Ltd had to be towed to the dealer three times in less than 36,000 miles. Not very exciting.

Then I traded for a brand spanking new 1999 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 4x4 with Quadra-drive..... was towed once back to the dealer during the warranty period as it left me stranded. It also had to have a whole new 4x4 system installed as it kept binding.

I guess my two Jeeps were made on a Friday....... but, I do believe that the newer Jeeps are probably better. My brother and his wife both have Jeep Liberty's bought new and have been reliable.

My Honda's have been so reliable that I'm afraid to try another Jeep with my previous luck. I do like the new Cherokee.... right size for towing. I'll just check around in a couple of years when I will be changing out the Honda.

MM.

I the Grand Cherokee had problems in the 90's. My sister had one and had issues. I've read on a Jeep forum to avoid the older Grand Cherokees but regular Cherolkee was fine.

Subcribed because DW is looking at an Equinox short-term and I want to switch to a Jeep JK when its my turn to buy in a couple years.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

et2
Explorer
Explorer
First Jeep we owned drove 299,000 without any major issues. Loved that Cherokee. Had a Grand Cherokee without any issues. Jeep Liberty - someone hit my wife head on, most other cars she would have died in from the crash. Never had problems with it. Now own a 2014 cherokee Trailhawk - no problems.

Good thing I don't believe everything I read. We will be buying another Jeep Grand Cherokee this fall. It's one of the best selling SUV's on the road.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ro"n"Joe wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
Jeep is rated lowest in quality by Consumers Report. I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I'm a Honda or Toyota fan. On our 6th Toyota and only one was ever in the shop and they paid the repair bill for a new engine. Have run most 230K and 2 Prius or Priii which I guess is plural, 70 K ea and our third is going to go to whatever mileage wears it out.

DW and I own both a CR-V and a Jeep Liberty. We both prefer the Liberty for better ride, seats, quite ride, handling etc. The only downside is that the CR-V does get about 5mpg more that the Liberty.

I think your Jeep weighs about 1,000 lbs. more than the CR-V. The Jeep has a 6 cylinder, the Honda a 4 cylinder. Not really apples to apples.

They are both good towing vehicles depending on your need.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
Jeep is rated lowest in quality by Consumers Report. I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I'm a Honda or Toyota fan. On our 6th Toyota and only one was ever in the shop and they paid the repair bill for a new engine. Have run most 230K and 2 Prius or Priii which I guess is plural, 70 K ea and our third is going to go to whatever mileage wears it out.

I stopped paying attention to consumer's report ages ago. I found that their reviews and ratings did not match up to my actual experience. we usually tow our '10 Jeep Liberty but occasionally will tow our '03 Jeep Wrangler. for 7-years the Wrangler was the only toad. both have performed admirably. if the OP is looking at Jeep just be sure that there is a manually selectable neutral position in the transfer case.

X2.
I have no faith in them what so ever.

Make that X3.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
I got rid of a Toyota RAV4 to get my jeep and I have not regretted it. Jeep is much better product in my opinion.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:

DW and I own both a CR-V and a Jeep Liberty. We both prefer the Liberty for better ride, seats, quite ride, handling etc. The only downside is that the CR-V does get about 5mpg more that the Liberty.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 2015 jeep Cherokee latitude 4wd. The drive II auto trans tows 4 wheel down. There is more than enough room for 4 adults to ride comfortably.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
Have you looked at the new mini jeep. Been a few thing on the net same size as a crx front wheel drive with rears kicking in for 4wd. It's a joint deal and will be built in Italy by fiat. Pictures look cool but not thrilled with any fiat built rig.

Mini Jeep? Not sure I know what that one is called?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the new mini jeep. Been a few thing on the net same size as a crx front wheel drive with rears kicking in for 4wd. It's a joint deal and will be built in Italy by fiat. Pictures look cool but not thrilled with any fiat built rig.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:
bhivetravels wrote:
We've been towing our Honda Element (aka "the toaster") and have had absolutely no problems with the car but with cracked seats, mileage, age, it's time to look for a replacement. We want a vehicle with a few more bells and whistles so we've been considering two based on weight/cost/mpg/body style. Chevy's Equinox and Chrysler's Jeep Compass. If you have one of these vehicles have you experienced any issues with them as a toad? On the Equinox, I don't really see where the tow bar would go?

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee 263000 miles, 2004 Grand Cherokee 215000
miles, 1993 Wrangler 154000 miles, all three set up for toad. CU is right, you cannot get these to last.

Vegasfoodguy, well, my brand spanking new 1996 Grand Cherokee Ltd had to be towed to the dealer three times in less than 36,000 miles. Not very exciting.

Then I traded for a brand spanking new 1999 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 4x4 with Quadra-drive..... was towed once back to the dealer during the warranty period as it left me stranded. It also had to have a whole new 4x4 system installed as it kept binding.

I guess my two Jeeps were made on a Friday....... but, I do believe that the newer Jeeps are probably better. My brother and his wife both have Jeep Liberty's bought new and have been reliable.

My Honda's have been so reliable that I'm afraid to try another Jeep with my previous luck. I do like the new Cherokee.... right size for towing. I'll just check around in a couple of years when I will be changing out the Honda.

MM.
Mr.Mark

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil wrote:
I will take my Jeep JK. any day! We take it everywhere as getting off the beaten path is very fun for us.

Pogoil.

Amen brother!
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog