cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for reducing set-up time?

HydroGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any tips to shorten set-up time (besides just pulling into a WalMart parking lot!)? At the end of a day of driving, we usually spend about 1.5 hr setting up, which makes for a very long day. Hubby is very particular about checking the site, making sure power and water work, then we level, put slides out, etc.Then it's either unhook the toad and go out for dinner or microwave some leftovers. Reverse the process in the morning and we spend a lot of time on a travel day not traveling.
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3849, 4 slides
2010 Ford Escape hybrid, Blue Ox Partiot brake
Larry & Trudy, 1 dog, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks
86 REPLIES 86

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:
I've got you all beat. Hearing about your levelers and slides and your fancy microwaves makes me glad I have my 92 Winnebago Brave. Pull into the site, close the curtains and plug in. 4 minutes and I'm ready for bed. Sometimes we do have to determine which end to put our heads if the spot isn't level ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh yea, add 5 minutes to apologize to the neighbors if the old 454 backfires a time or two before it finally dies for the night.

I will say this thread was fun to read though.

Tom

Ah too funny!
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I've got you all beat. Hearing about your levelers and slides and your fancy microwaves makes me glad I have my 92 Winnebago Brave. Pull into the site, close the curtains and plug in. 4 minutes and I'm ready for bed. Sometimes we do have to determine which end to put our heads if the spot isn't level ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh yea, add 5 minutes to apologize to the neighbors if the old 454 backfires a time or two before it finally dies for the night.

I will say this thread was fun to read though.

Tom

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 systems. When the DW graduated AirForce AIT at Goodfellow learning after how to fight the fire dragon I surprised her with the kids at her graduation. We drove from SW Ohio to Hurricane Mills Tennessee and pulled into a KOA. I pulled the Class C up on levelling blocks getting "close" to level. Rolled out only one of 2 slide outs. Total time 10 minutes.

As for our family vacations we have a system. We typically won't travel more than 5 to 6 hours a day. We have found that if we "grind" and pull in late we are just as each others throats. We typically have somehting like waffles/toast/biscuits for breakfast. Grab a shower at the shower house (all 4 can go at the same time) and get on the road by 10ish. We like to be in the "layover" spot NLT 1700 hours. Our old process was that I would sit in the captains chair, the wife would put the level on the floor and place the block around the coach as she thought we would need. I pulled up on the blocks and as long as we were no more than 1/2 bubble off plumb, we were good. Sent the kids to the playground. The DW would deploy the slides as I hooked the water/electric and cable up. Toad stayed on the dolly. As I came back into the coach she would have the stove/oven getting hot for supper and my favorite plastic cup full of Jack Daniels and Pepsi Max for me. I would enjoy some of Tennessee's finest export while I hit the auto program on the TV's and she finished supper. Called the cherubs back to the coach, had supper, dishes clean and kicked back watching prime time TV before bed.

I am not going to tell you how to make it faster because your DH has a system that he prefers. Trying to change him will only be stressful for him and very difficult should you get him off his program and something happen to the coach.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. I think a shorter checklist for overnight stays will help.
An electric reel for the power cord sounds great-- that sucker is heavy.
RE the microwave turntable: before we bought our coach, we rented. The guys we rented it from was adamant that only an idiot drives around with the glass tray inside the microwave, because a big bump could make the tray whack the door hard enough to open, sending the tray flying out to smash into a million pieces. Of course, he was probably just tired of replacing turntables broken by renters, but he sure scared the heck out of us!

45 years of RVING coast to coast and Canada to Mexico and have never taken the microwave tray out to travel. Never a problem yet. Of course the first few RV's didn't even have microwaves.
pawatt

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Takes about 10 minutes with our 5th wheel. Had lots of practice.
pawatt

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
VinCee wrote:
I think most would agree that the Dear Husband's take care of the outside setup, no matter big or small and Dear Wife takes care of the inside. This way my DW and I always rendezvous for a nice cold beer or glass of wine in the bag chairs outside where ever the view is best, proclaiming our love for camping and being where we are.

Actually my wife has always done the leveling, puts slides out after I give her the ok from my review of the site. She also setup the inside. Recently when I was having some back issues she offered and I accepted to setup electric and water. She now does that most of the time. I may need to tighten connections here and there but she does a great job and much neater than my work. My job is now to take the dogs out and be available in the event she has questions. I am a lucky man.

Wow, you are a lucky man indeed. I can't even get my DW to remember to bring in the electric step cover as we exit to a fuel station.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow , that's all I can say. I wouldn't have the patience.

We have a coach and could set up and tear down including cooking equipment, awnings, lawn chairs, patio rugs, antenna etc in less time, even checking tire pressures and lights. I can't even imagine what all could be on his list.

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazym, Yes you are! Since the controls for the slides and jacks are inside the rig those are part of the tasks that my DW does and that includes jumping out of the rig to put the wooden jack pads under the jacks.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
I think most would agree that the Dear Husband's take care of the outside setup, no matter big or small and Dear Wife takes care of the inside. This way my DW and I always rendezvous for a nice cold beer or glass of wine in the bag chairs outside where ever the view is best, proclaiming our love for camping and being where we are.

Actually my wife has always done the leveling, puts slides out after I give her the ok from my review of the site. She also setup the inside. Recently when I was having some back issues she offered and I accepted to setup electric and water. She now does that most of the time. I may need to tighten connections here and there but she does a great job and much neater than my work. My job is now to take the dogs out and be available in the event she has questions. I am a lucky man.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
OP, couple of suggestions I stick a pillow from sofa in the MW and it keeps the glass tray from rattling, bouncing around and doesn't take but a second. I have had 2 rear kitchen TT's and never had a microwave come open, even though I have to jump the curbs to park at home.

Second suggestion is to plan meals so that you don't have to cook or go out for dinner when you are traveling. I try to cook ahead at home, things like chili or a casserole, so I only have to heat up on travel days. I also try to put a couple of convenient frozen meals in freezer for ease in stopping. Take the time to look at the frozen food aisle carefully, you can find some that are surprisingly good and even healthy. Some of the bagged ones that you just dump in a pan for 15-20 minutes are my favorite.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope the OP post a copy of the list. I think it might be informative.
I have seen people who can be set up quickly and those that take moor than a couple of hours. I watched a couple set up at a campground in New Found Lake NH. I don't know where they carried all the stuff they pulled out and set up. They had the usual chairs tables ground mats but about 25 different "things" from flamingos to a frog fountain. They had lights on the awning on the coach in the trees.
It is all in what makes you happy.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

HydroGeo
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
. I guess what this thread shows is that everyone has their own comfort level of what needs to be set up, whether its just an overnight, or days stay. .... I know for me, even when I'm tearing down the campsite on departure day, no matter what kind of weather, I still enjoy the "put-away" as the last act of another successful camping excursion.

Amen, brother!
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3849, 4 slides
2010 Ford Escape hybrid, Blue Ox Partiot brake
Larry & Trudy, 1 dog, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo wrote:
Does anyone have any tips to shorten set-up time (besides just pulling into a WalMart parking lot!)? At the end of a day of driving, we usually spend about 1.5 hr setting up, which makes for a very long day. Hubby is very particular about checking the site, making sure power and water work, then we level, put slides out, etc.Then it's either unhook the toad and go out for dinner or microwave some leftovers. Reverse the process in the morning and we spend a lot of time on a travel day not traveling.

Sounds like it's more than just RV setup time and people do form different habits, like taking all day, to do an hour's work. I for one, never did like taking all day, to do a weeks work, but am starting to head that way with increasing age.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the microwave goes, we pack all of our breads, English muffins etc. in the MW before departure. Out of the way and secures turntable plate. I guess what this thread shows is that everyone has their own comfort level of what needs to be set up, whether its just an overnight, or days stay. I do believe that for many who take an extended amount of time setting up, it is a form a therapy for them to either get the ol'body moving again after hours behind the wheel, or they just are the puttering type that like to putz around their rig. I know for me, even when I'm tearing down the campsite on departure day, no matter what kind of weather, I still enjoy the "put-away" as the last act of another successful camping excursion.