cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for using MH for 1st trip

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, some of u know, I've gone around on mh vs 5er vs TT etc. as someone who has never done any of the above, I have decided to rent a mh for my June summer vacation, using rvshare. I met the owner today and toured the mh and liked it. Nothing fancy but nice. It is a Thor windsport 39 w a ford v10 and a king bed. The rate is 1600$ for a week and reportedly includes insurance. I need to figure out what that means but w 200 miles per night and 5 hours of gen use, seems pretty fair. Interestingly, when I asked about gen usesge, he said we will need it when driving down the road to keep the two ac units going. This helped me realize, I don't know too much about this stuff. It has a built in onan 5500 and will be going on a 10 hour trip. Do not really need to run the gen. most of the way on my trip to keep the mh cool? What else don't I know? That's a dumb question but over the course of 10 hrs drive to gatlinburg, what Tips can you offer?

Now I know why most ads have a generator limitation in hours. I thought, I will be plugged in at the park, why would I need the gen, lol. June is hot in Florida so now I know.
12 REPLIES 12

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
First short trip would be to a large parking lot with painted lines. Park in the center, than put vinyl tape on the window to indicate where the RV is centered. This is for a Class A. A class C it's much easier to tell.

Always downshift when the engine starts lugging on an uphill, and keep it there on the way down...lets the engine and tranni slow you so you don't overheat your brakes. As the truckers say, use the same gear up and down a hill.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to understand on how the black water tank is empty. Most of us when at a camp with sewer keep the grey water tank open. If you have a chance watch the movie RV with Robin Willams. May just learn how not to do things. Other important things to know are the slide operations and levelers.

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
Many great tips, thank you. As one suggested, I'm hoping to do a short trip somewhere semi local for a long weekend. That will help me get familiar w the whole rving thing before going on a big , long vacation.

Appreciate all the feedback...

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry to much now your trip isn't till June by then you will forget everything your learning now

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
Watch your overhead clearance and tail swing.

X2!!!

Unlikely you will run into a clearance problem but really bad if you do and don’t know how high the rig is. Tail swing, on the other hand, might be a consideration in a lot of places.

Be sure the owner shows you how the leveler works, too.

Any campground you visit will have friendly neighbors who will happily answer questions if you but ask. We’d all prefer you ask to having to rescue you after ignorance extracts it’s tax.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Watch your overhead clearance and tail swing.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have a deal already set up, you might ask him if he would cut you a deal on a weekend rental rate for a local test trip before you take off on the big trip next June. If so find a state park or COE campground 30-40 miles away and take it out for a test weekend, pack the things you think you will need, make sure to include a note pad for all the things you forgot, ideally pick a spot with a walmart nearby for those critical things you forgot to pack.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Check your tire pressures in the morning. Ask what they are set at.

You don't have to pull into truck weighing scales along the highway.

Keep your speed at about 55 to 62 mph.

Don't ride the brakes going down a mountain.

Stay 10 car lengths behind the vehicle in front of you.

Renting an RV is a smart move, it will open your eyes as to what to look for when you buy.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have a dash A/C also just like a car. Depends on the temperatures, but many times we are able to travel using just the dash air. If it is too warm for that, then just start the generator and turn the house A/C on. We have a gas motorhome and the generator runs off the gas in the gas tank of the motorhome. It will not operator if you have 1/4 tank of gas or less. A safety to keep you from running out of gas. We use gas buddy to find the best gas prices, and start looking for a station in our upcoming towns once we get to 1/2 tank. We check the layout of the station on google maps, satelite and street views so we know if we can get in and out. We try to use the end pumps

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
No one is born knowing everything. It takes time and experience. Reading this forum helps. Look at it as part of the trip, to learn more things.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be confident! You’ll have a great time!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
tealboy wrote:
Well, some of u know, I've gone around on mh vs 5er vs TT etc. as someone who has never done any of the above, I have decided to rent a mh for my June summer vacation, using rvshare. I met the owner today and toured the mh and liked it. Nothing fancy but nice. It is a Thor windsport 39 w a ford v10 and a king bed. The rate is 1600$ for a week and reportedly includes insurance. I need to figure out what that means but w 200 miles per night and 5 hours of gen use, seems pretty good. Interestingly, when I asked about gen usesge, he said we will need it when driving down the road to keep the ac units going , two units. This helped me realize, I don't know too much about this stuff. It has a built in onan 5500 and will be going on a 10 hour trip. Do not really need to run the gen. most of the way on my trip to keep the mh cool? What else don't I know? That's a dumb question but over the course of 10 hrs drive to gatlinburg, what else do I need to know?

During mid-July the answer would like be yes. This time of year the answer is likely no. YMMV. The coach will (should) also have drivers A/C powered by the engines A/C compressor which will also likely not be necessary this time of year but should be more than enough if you get even a little bit warm.
There are many things you don't know but there are also a lot of things the most brilliant minds of this World don't know. You can't let that stop you!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?