cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Man Valve Extenders for dual tires

Cooncatz
Explorer
Explorer
can anyone using Tire Man valve extenders for rear dual tires give me information on their performance? Are they worth the near $300 cost to have them installed?
50 REPLIES 50

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Front and Spare can get by nicely on ordinary METAL valves. Just not the very shortest ones if it's Ford wheels. Stem needs to be about 2" to allow gauge/chuck to clear the rim.

On my E450 I added one of these to each front tire to extend the valves past the simulators. I bought them at Les Schwab for $1 USD each. linky
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had mine on my 4x4 camper for 9 years now and I fully air down to 25psi for beach driving at least 8 times a year and NEVER had an issue with these solid metal value stems. I used the extension rubber ones and braided steel ones and BOTH caused leaks and one came loose driving down the highway....not good! So, YES worth the investment to have solid metal values on all tires and especially on the inner dual wheel.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene wrote:
I just finally got some 135 degree steel extenders after looking for a long time. Not an ideal solution, but at least I can check and fill as necessary.

Marginally OK but only IF the valves they're attached to are METAL. The rubber ones barely hold up on their own and the weight of extensions, adapters, etc. really tears them up. Then you have a leak or catastrophic failure where the valve fails and leaves a BIG hole.

The best extenders are "airless." There's a pusher inside. When you put a gauge or air hose on, it presses on the pusher and the pusher opens the valve on the tire. Ordinary extenders press the tire's valve when you tighten them on installation. Then the connection, the extender, and the extender's valve can all leak.

Back to the OP's question: YES!!! Very much worth having custom valves, whether bought or made up. We really need only a rear set. Front and Spare can get by nicely on ordinary METAL valves. Just not the very shortest ones if it's Ford wheels. Stem needs to be about 2" to allow gauge/chuck to clear the rim.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I just finally got some 135 degree steel extenders after looking for a long time. Not an ideal solution, but at least I can check and fill as necessary. About 14 bucks from the rv dealer.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't really know what you mean by performance,but I have had mine for 5 years and 2 sets of tires and have had no problem at all with them. The flow thru caps make it easy and fast to check and add air if needed.

Here is a friend that had them for 9 years back in 2013 thru 4 sets of tires and they are still going strong with no problems.

Yes I think they are worth the cost,but that is just me,I have no problem buying and using a quality product that will give you long life and make things easier.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked with your local commercial truck tire business, where the 18 wheelers get their tire work done? They can make you the same brass extenders and install them for a much lower price. At least they do where I live.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds