cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Loss

Goneagain1
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my tire pressure before a trip and found one without pressure. Like an idiot I thought it was the inside tire extension.
I drove 300 miles to go camping and back. Nothing happened.
I then too my motorhome to get the oil changed and told them to
check the drivers side inside tire extension. They told me the tire
was out of air and the tire was now ruined. My question is how long had I been driving and didn't hear the tire or see any problem (had just got back from Michigan). Why didn't the tire rip off and come apart.

Has anyone had this happen to them ?
9 REPLIES 9

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
George, I did that one time when I first was learning to drive Semis back in the 60's. I don't run a TPMS but, I have a tire hammer (old school habit, now retired) and, I thump on the RV tires every time I get out of the RV. Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how this works. We bought our TPMS shortly after having a tire go flat on the road. It must be working because we haven't had a flat tire since! Of course, we also switched to Michelin XPS Ribs on the RV.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
We read all the time from some various posters that tire pressure monitor systems are not needed and too expensive. I guess this might have been an occasion where it would have been a LOT less expensive?? The thoughts of installing the two new tires on the front and moving the front tires to the dual location is spot on.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Looks like and expensive education. As Brett suggested, put the two new on the front and the fronts on that side. Look on the bright side, you did not wreck and you do not need any fiberglass repairs.

X2, this is what I would do.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Goneagain1 wrote:
I checked my tire pressure before a trip and found one without pressure. Like an idiot I thought it was the inside tire extension.
I drove 300 miles to go camping and back. Nothing happened.
I then too my motorhome to get the oil changed and told them to
check the drivers side inside tire extension. They told me the tire
was out of air and the tire was now ruined. My question is how long had I been driving and didn't hear the tire or see any problem (had just got back from Michigan). Why didn't the tire rip off and come apart.

Has anyone had this happen to them ?

I had that happen and drove about 250 miles.tire stayed intact
I think(don't know absolute) that the tires u see all ripped to shreds etc did not simply loose air, they separated.NOW iam sure had it been the front tire then a different story for sure

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like and expensive education. As Brett suggested, put the two new on the front and the fronts on that side. Look on the bright side, you did not wreck and you do not need any fiberglass repairs.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, if you drove any distance with a flat, the other tire on that side of duel is also ruined-- running a tire at TWICE its rated capacity leads to failure!

Consider buying two new tires. Put the new ones on the front, old front ones on that one side in back.

What tires are on there now-- brand, model, size and AGE?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
One word.... TPMS

Now you gotta buy two tires......that I'm sure will cost a LOT more than a TPMS device.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say that both dual tires on that side are ruined....the flat tire and the tire that was driven way overloaded for several miles.