cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressure monitor

goose62075
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering getting tire pressure & heat monitors. Would prefer not to dismount tires for installation. possibly getting them for my toad also. any suggestions on the good ones and some to stay away from.
I have a 40' mh towing a club cab pickup.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
13 REPLIES 13

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
TireMinder

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
We are very happy with TST.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
I use my system from EEZtire. Uses 6 sensors for around $ 275.00 Have the System now for 2 years with no problems.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Removing the sensor to add air is virtually the same as removing the valve stem cap. Actually, easier, as it is larger diameter. Yes, the rear outer dual takes a little contortion (but would with just a standard cap).

Ditto,

I had special valve stems installed that makes it a breeze to add and remove the monitors, and add air if needed. Not contortionist necessary :B
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Removing the sensor to add air is virtually the same as removing the valve stem cap. Actually, easier, as it is larger diameter. Yes, the rear outer dual takes a little contortion (but would with just a standard cap).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
Several good systems out there-- they do not involve dismounting the tire.

About my only recommendation is to stick with a company that is located in the U.S. and has been in business for at least a couple of years. The is as opposed to a vendor who buys some "look alike" senders and monitors, sell them at RV shows for a couple of events, has no parts inventory, no technical expertise and may be gone next year. But, I guess that advice applies to a number of things!

Since air (or Nitrogen for that matter) follow the Ideal Gas Law, I see no reason to monitor temperature in addition to PSI and the two are ABSOLUTELY/mathematically related. And, quite frankly temperature out on the valve stem in really not a very good indication of tread or sidewall temperature.

We are happy with our choice-- been on coach and toads for 3 years: http://www.advantagepressurepro.com/home.asp

+2 for Pressure Pro. Had mine going on 7 years now with the same sensors. Twice it has warned me of a loss of tire pressure which allowed me to pull over prior to the tire blowing and causing who knows how much damage. However, I did have a blowout on my toad's r/rear with no warning and still not sure what caused the blowout.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are so many different types out there that you need to decide what works best for you.
Most tire sensors have to be removed to add air. Some allow you to add air with the tire sensor in place, which is more convenient, but more expensive.
If the sensors for your duals are placed on braided valve extenders, the temperature readings will be inaccurate.
Some systems have an extra cost amplifier that helps allow the sensors placed on your toad to be monitored. I am not sure about interference between existing built-in sensors on newer vehicles and an additional sensor screwed on to the valve stem. It may not interfere with some and may cause problems with others.
The TPMS systems that have tried are not that accurate. I use a balancing inflation system for my duals and my front tires. Even tho both tires are connected together and inflated to the exact same tire pressure at the same time, the TPMS would report pressure differences of up to 3 psi with one system and 5 psi with another system.
As the recent posting about a "blowout" indicated, since his tire never deflated, you would have gotten no warning that the tread was about to peel off on a dual. The sensor at the end of the braided inflation extension would have prevented the temperature reading from being accurate, especially during cool weather.
I stopped using them because of inaccuracies and false alarms.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our TST 507 TPMS with user replaceable battery sensors has worked very well for us on both the coach and toad. Besides monitoring tire pressures, it has also alerted me to sticking brake calipers on a couple of occasions. Once on the coach and once on the toad. That alone more than made up for the cost.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Ive tried 2 different systems and didnt like either one. Have had motorhomes since 1994 and never had a problem and auto's for more than 30 years and never had any sort of problems.

No pressure monitor systems for me anymore
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TST 510 system on the MH and toad. It works well and saves time on departure days by not having to manually check pressures. I did have two sensors (one MH, one toad) go bad due to batteries running down. TST replaced them under warranty. I do need to take the sensors off the tires while in storage over the winter; the sensors are "on" anytime they have pressure in them. At least that's what TST told me to do.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Previous thread

tpms
2013 ACE 29.2

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Been running these on the MH and Toad for almost 2 years. Replaced one battery, obtained locally and easily changed.

Not a problem, one.

Do search for reviews for Company.

TST
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Several good systems out there-- they do not involve dismounting the tire.

About my only recommendation is to stick with a company that is located in the U.S. and has been in business for at least a couple of years. The is as opposed to a vendor who buys some "look alike" senders and monitors, sell them at RV shows for a couple of events, has no parts inventory, no technical expertise and may be gone next year. But, I guess that advice applies to a number of things!

Since air (or Nitrogen for that matter) follow the Ideal Gas Law, I see no reason to monitor temperature in addition to PSI and the two are ABSOLUTELY/mathematically related. And, quite frankly temperature out on the valve stem in really not a very good indication of tread or sidewall temperature.

We are happy with our choice-- been on coach and toads for 3 years: http://www.advantagepressurepro.com/home.asp
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/