cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire pressures

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling with your RV your maximum tire pressures are 110 when it reaches 110 is the general rule of thumb to stop and lower the pressure back to the starting point of 90 to 95 psi? I just bought a brand new set of coopers for my motorhome and this is what I’ve been doing with tires before and just making sure that I am doing the right thing.
2013 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Rick and Susan
23 REPLIES 23

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
lfeather wrote:

The "maximum tire pressure" requirement is for a cold tire.

CLOSER, (and accurate) BUT:

What the script on the sidewall actually means is the MINIMUM/needed PSI for the rated weight carrying capacity.

Again, we have NO IDEA if your actual axle weights are at, above or below your tire's carrying capacity.

Only with the actual weights can you accurately set tire pressure. Said another way, you hope your actual axle weights are well less than tire capacity. That means they have a safety margin/not always loaded to 100% of capacity AND that you can safely carry lower pressure for a better ride.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
RB414921 wrote:
When traveling with your RV your maximum tire pressures are 110 when it reaches 110 is the general rule of thumb to stop and lower the pressure back to the starting point of 90 to 95 psi? I just bought a brand new set of coopers for my motorhome and this is what I’ve been doing with tires before and just making sure that I am doing the right thing.

The "maximum tire pressure" requirment is for a cold tire.
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I certainly understand your concern, I recently paid nearly $4K for a set of six 22.5" tires for our motorhome, a lot of dough for rubber for sure. All the answers above are great advice, simply set your tire pressures when tires are cold, cold does not indicate a certain temp, just means when tires have not been used, best to do in the morning as tires have been resting/cooling down overnight. Set them at your desired pressure in the morning, we use 90psi for our motorhome tires, and don't worry about increase in psi while going down the road, perfectly normal as tire manufacturer engineers have already accounted for this. Even when not moving down the road our TPMS indicates psi increases, although minor, when the sun is beaming down on the side of the coach where tires are exposed. That all being said, you spent the money for them and if you prefer to do it the way you have in the past, you were happy with the results and that's all that counts.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
First thing I would question is running max tire pressure on MH.
I would weigh the rig, get the tire inflation chart from tire manufacturer, inflate to around five pounds more than shown on chart.
I would lay odds that pressure would be lower than max pressure on sidewall.
I would not adjust tire pressure once proper inflation is achieved.

This is the best advice.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone I truly appreciate all the feedback I got on this one and it makes me understand a little better about tire pressures and what not to do.
Rick and Susan

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
To make it clear to the OP - tire pressure can easily and safely exceed maximum tire pressure ratings while driving. This is normal. Do not fret over it nor readjust!
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
As Bruce and a few others have stated, 110 is the max cold tire pressure. The engineers that design tires take into account the pressure increases as the tire heats up.

You do not need to bleed air out of the tires unless it is over the cold max when cold. Think cold as the rig has sat all night and you are checking first thin in the morning.

In the morning if there is a hot sun on a tire and it reads 112 and the shaded tires read 110 it's okay to leave it that way.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
TPMS systems allow you to see real time pressures causing paranoia. Your tires have always gained pressure as you drove and you heated them up. Entirely normal. Mine have gone up 20 psi or more on the gauge. Unless you see a single tire increasing dramatically due to under inflation , friction heat from a mis adjusted brake or bearing failure , leave it alone . End of story.
Bill

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
RB414921 wrote:
Maybe I just need to reword what I’m saying I’m saying on a long trip I’ve got a tire pressure monitoring system and when I see the pressure getting up to 110 psi do you guys continue letting it to rise or do you readjust it back down to the starting point and continue on with your trip. I was just concerned that reaching 110 psi which is the maximum PSI when you’re driving and it gets above 110 is that a good thing or a bad thing.

As ALL have stated, do NOT adjust pressure downward because it rises due to driving, sitting in the sun, etc!

PERIOD.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bruce_Brown
RB414921 wrote:
Maybe I just need to reword what I’m saying I’m saying on a long trip I’ve got a tire pressure monitoring system and when I see the pressure getting up to 110 psi do you guys continue letting it to rise or do you readjust it back down to the starting point and continue on with your trip. I was just concerned that reaching 110 psi which is the maximum PSI when you’re driving and it gets above 110 is that a good thing or a bad thing.

That 110 psi is the cold max. The engineers have a safety factor built in.

That said, the best advice has been to weigh the MH and adjust according to the tire weight chart.

One more thing, if heat caused the rise cooling will also lower it. If you started at 90 psi and it gets to 110 while driving it won't stay there forever. If you're seeing that you might want to check your pressure senders. No one added any air while you were driving so eventually the original pressure will return.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
RB414921 wrote:

Simple. Adjust the air pressure only when the tire is cold. Have the tire checked if you think it getting too hot. The tire can be out of balance and that will cause it to rise in pressure, along with other things.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tire manufacturer doesn’t recommend lowering the tire pressure, does he/she? Tire pressure is set with cold tires. Almost all weather conditions will cause a working tire to increase its pressure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
Rick and Susan

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Weigh the coach’s axles.

Select the proper pressure from the tire manufacturers charts for that weight

Set the pressures first thing in the morning on a cool day.

Check periodically (in the morning) to insure they are correct.

Do not adjust for temp.