cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire rotation

WETSNAIL
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone rotate the tires on a class A? I have read many comments about tires but cannot find where this has been addressed. If you do recommend it, how often?

Thanks, Cork
25 REPLIES 25

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
427435 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
No! I was told that by Michelin and my local tire shop! I've been RVing since 1976 and never have rotated a RV tire!

Why? As long as you don't change the direction of rotation, why would there be a problem.
You could be right! I'm just following instructions from my tire shop!

Actually there are VERY few RV tires that are directionally sensitive. Unless you have arrows on the sidewalls indicating direction of rotation, you are "free to do anything you want" as far as rotation.

Not changing direction of rotation on a modern radial is AN OLD WIFE'S TALE".

If in doubt, go to Michelin's RV tire guide and read it for yourself.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
No! I was told that by Michelin and my local tire shop! I've been RVing since 1976 and never have rotated a RV tire!

Why? As long as you don't change the direction of rotation, why would there be a problem.
You could be right! I'm just following instructions from my tire shop!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front & rear tires are different...so no rotation.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Nope! Been RV'ing since 1981.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer
Explorer
I bought 6 new tires, but did not replace the spare (good shape, but used). After 5 years, some mild vibration over 65 mph (rarely drive that fast) and some corner wear on the fronts, I rotated them to the rear on one side. Also had the tires moved to the front rebalanced. Vibration went away, and I had more tread on the fronts if I had to drive in rain.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Rotating your tires, while it equalizes wear, has one big downside - you have to replace all of them at once! I'd rather budget for replacing them two at a time. We don't do enough annual mileage (<2000) on the RV for wear to be an issue. We'll be selling it soon, while the tires are only 4 years old.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
fischer wrote:
I rotated the front 2 tires to the drivers side rear because my front tires would vibrate at 45 mph..
So since 2005 once.

I hope you have replaced your tiers at least once in the last 9 years.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
The same reason we never rotated all the tires on our semi truck and trailers, who want to do 18 tires, and on a tractor and set of trailers which way would you rotate???????????????

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
I rotated the front 2 tires to the drivers side rear because my front tires would vibrate at 45 mph..
So since 2005 once.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the rear duals (22.5 inch rims) off a while back for maintenance. Just fighting with those two and torqueing 10 lug nuts to 600ft-lbs was enough fun for me. I am not going to rotate without a real good reason. Now if I had 19.5" or smaller I would consider it a lot more.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
My tires are the same size. they have direction of rotation, not rotating tires, on the steers. If you have six or eight aluminum you could rotate them.
I was taken aback when I saw that they did/do put all the wheels in aluminum.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you do rotate the tires be sure to incorporate the spare into the mix; if you have one.
My guess is that rotating tires on a MH is a VERY BIG JOB and virtually no one does it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)