cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

titleing in fla

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new motorhome and for tax purposes want to title it in florida. When it was purchased in NC they added the Va sales tax and have now sent me the check and paper work and told us to take it to the local dmv. So that tells me its not titled anywhere. How do I now get it titled in florida? What is necessary to get it regersted and tagged in florida?? Need help from someone who has gone through this??

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Mike M2 wrote:
hooligan wrote:
Another consideration is what state has issued your driver's license? The easy way to understand the requirement is that two of the following items must agree.
1. State shown on your drivers license.
2. State your vehicle registered in
3. State you are presently in.
With Florida tags and Va. license you would only be legal in Va. & Fla
As a Florida resident, registration and license is easy. Then what is Va. tax liability if you work and reside in that state for 6-7 month's out of the year???

It doesn't make any difference that the registration and the license are from different states.

The above is true, technically, but the trouble comes in if you get stopped in Virginia with the motor home and your registration doesn't match your driver's license. States are getting more and more savvy about this and making it a point to look for. In all conversations about where to register, the problem isn't the state you're going TO... it's the state who thinks you owed it to THEM. Bottom line: If you want to register in Florida, the best advice is to change your Driver's License to Florida and the property in Virginia becomes your second home. The motor home is your primary residence. Of course, there are other things to consider... like where your income comes from, for example. Any questions like that should be directed to tax accountant or lawyer.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
Just a big waste of money.
No, but a lousy inspection program. Here's a good one: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm, and I only have to pay $15 for the annual inspection for my light weight DP.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Mike M2 wrote:
An advantage to doing this on a used MH is there is no inspection of any kind,
I'm not so sure that is a advantage. I depend on my state's safety inspection to inform me of the safety of my motorhome yearly!!! They find those little things that I miss, or do not know about.

Not in Florida. When we had inspections, it was lights and emissions. I check my lights every trip out as many do and personally I've never seen an A with bad exhaust emissions. Just a big waste of money.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just a Fl requirement that you have to have an address to register there ? I have had a couple vehicles registered in Ca with my Nv address and its no big deal.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Since it is a NEW motorhome, in order to license it in ANY state, you will need the Manufacturer's Certificate Of Origin. You will also need any lien paperwork and/or loan papers. The lien must be entered on the title, as well as the lien holders name and address. In some states the title will be sent to the lien holder, in some states it will be sent to the registered owner.
Yes, as previously stated, you WILL need a Florida address to register it in Florida. It will probably have to be a street address, not a Post Office Box.
A PMB at a UPS store may do the job. Your address would then be your name, PMB XX, the street address of the UPS store, town and state, such as:
John X Bacigaplonski
PMB 246
789 Any Street
Any Town, FL ZZZIP+FOUR
We used just such an address for about three years when full timing. No problems at all in Montana.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
hooligan wrote:
Another consideration is what state has issued your driver's license? The easy way to understand the requirement is that two of the following items must agree.
As a Florida resident, registration and license is easy. Then what is Va. tax liability if you work and reside in that state for 6-7 month's out of the year???

The other states must "give full faith and credit" to all other state's records and other items according to the constitution. You're license would have to be accepted by the other states along with any marriage records, deeds, court rulings, and so on. It doesn't make any difference that the registration and the license are from different states. Florida allows you to title and tag no matter what state your license is from as long as you have a residence there. It doeshowever matter how long the MH is in the state of Florida, not you personally.
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
just like most states you can title a car in FL and have an out of state address on it. If your main state of residence is Va. then you'll have to go with an Va. address on the title.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
We are part-timers. I have family in Florida and I winter there for 5 or 6 mos a year. Virginia law says that I pay personal proper tax in the locality where my vehicle is garged or parked on January l. While I maintain a residence in Virginia, my vehicles are in Florida on January l. The remainer of the year we are traveling with occasional visit to Virginia for medical care. I am not trying to evade taxation. Forida's sales tax is quite a big more than Virginia's. I assume Florida accepts Good Sam Insurance coverage on RV's??

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
blknomad wrote:
I just bought a new motorhome and for tax purposes want to title it in florida. When it was purchased in NC they added the Va sales tax and have now sent me the check and paper work and told us to take it to the local dmv. So that tells me its not titled anywhere. How do I now get it titled in florida? What is necessary to get it regersted and tagged in florida?? Need help from someone who has gone through this??

Thanks

Could you provide an explanation as to why your new motorhome can be legitimately titled in Florida? Do you have a residence there? Once folks understand the basis for you wanting to title in Florida other than for tax purposes you should get some good feedback

JohnnyT Moderator
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.flhsmv.gov/DHSMVfees.htm
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
ssia2485 wrote:
When you bring a vehicle into florida from another state and do the title and registration you have to have the vehicle with you at the time that you are doing the transfer and registration. The will go out to your vehicle in the parking lot an verify the VIN number and the mileage on the speedometer. It cant be done from a remote location.

You can have the VIN/mileage verified by a notary, or ANY law enforcement officer. It is a rare DMV that is big rig friendly. I had an officer/notary at my bank verify my VIN/mileage.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Mike M2 wrote:
An advantage to doing this on a used MH is there is no inspection of any kind,
I'm not so sure that is a advantage. I depend on my state's safety inspection to inform me of the safety of my motorhome yearly!!! They find those little things that I miss, or do not know about.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

ssia2485
Explorer
Explorer
When you bring a vehicle into florida from another state and do the title and registration you have to have the vehicle with you at the time that you are doing the transfer and registration. The will go out to your vehicle in the parking lot an verify the VIN number and the mileage on the speedometer. It cant be done from a remote location.