cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Awn or Not to Awn?

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Buying our first RV. A mechanical awning can be added for $1300 + 12% BC Tax. Our unit is relatively small so we think it would be a good idea but for $1300 we feel its too much of a luxury at this point, early days etc. Do people use their awnings that much? Is there a place in the North West where we could fit one cheaper?

Thanks

Pommy
37 REPLIES 37

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
We camp mostly close to the coast where it is cool and have only used the awning once in about 10 trips. Doesn't make sense when you are in deep shade, but the one time we used it in the open it was nice. Bottom line is that we could live without it and would not pay $1,300 for one if we didn't already have it, but since it is already there it's nice when it makes sense. If we camped inland in hot temps and sun it would be an absolute necessity.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Even with a shaded spot we notice how much cooler the inside of the RV is with the awning out especially in the afternoon if the awning is on the west side. It also makes the RV easier to cool with AC. As far as price goes IMHO call a Camping World and ask how much an awning the same size would be installed.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I use my awning on every trip. I am surprised it doesn't have one. That would be very unusual
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
We use an awning because our trailers always came with them. A lot depends on where camp, under trees out in the open etc. We prefer using an awning, but my father in-law who owned a few trailers over the course of 36 years never used an awning even though his trailers had them. When he gave us his last trailer, it was about 8 years old and we were the first to open the awning.

My FIL liked to keep camping simple, no awning, cooked every meal in an electric fry pan. He would setup at a site with two folding chairs, a table cloth on the picnic table and a candle in the middle of the table. His trailer was practically empty except for clothes and a case of beer. He used the heck out of his trailers for 36 years by camping simple.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

jpfx
Explorer
Explorer
if it's used and doesn't have an awning it is more than likely an ex rental unit. bear that in mind.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we use the awning almost all of the time. It's one of those things that I think you'll miss. Even if you don't actually spend a lot of time sitting outside, its still handy as a dry "porch" on rainy days and to block sun.

As far as the price, I don't really know if that is a fair price or not...I've never priced them separately...

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I could not imaging owning an RV without an awning. Ours is used every trip and only stowed during storms or when away from the trailer.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use ours almost every time we go out. The only time we don't is one nighters. Ours is 31 ft and we have a main awning and awnings over each window. Helps with the heat and can have windows open in a light rain.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT