cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

to cover or not to cover that is the question ?

woodroe
Explorer
Explorer
should I cover for winter storage in upstate ny and if so do I need to remove the tv and satellite antenna. Winters are sever with lots of snow and wind, I am wonder if adco better cover will hold up ? 2002 Damon Escaper 3975
11 REPLIES 11

FrontRangeRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We covered our last unit for the 10 years we owned it, and there was absolutely NO damage, and when we sold it, the and paint graphics looked as good as the day we bought it new. Not one iota of paint rubbing or damage. In this high altitude, Colorado Sun, a good cover is a must. I use the ADCO with Tyvek with Wind cover, and love it when the Spring rolls around, the snow melts, the birds come back to Colorado, I can remove the cover and the unit looks brand new.

I have use the ADCO cover since day one on my 1 year old 2015 Winnebago Forza, and appreciate the protection it is giving me from this Sun. Big deal...climb up on the roof, pull the cover up, cover your unit.

If you want your investment to look nice, do what you can to protect it from the elements.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
SOLD 2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A (was a GREAT unit)

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Covers are a PITA. If at all possible, get covered storage...I'm in a boat yard, but covered with power. Sure, it's a bit expensive, but worth every cent.
2014 American Eagle

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this popular subject at this time of year search this Forum for `rv cover' and read on and on. We cover our TT as previously stated.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
just watch for condensation under the cover... make sure nothing grows.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the Buffalo, NY area. As reported on all news channels last November we had a 3 day period where over 7 feet of snow fell. My motor home sat in storage a mile from my home without a cover. I was concerned about it but told my DW we can't worry about it, that's why we have insurance. Couldn't even get out of the driveway for 3-4 days. Broke 2 snow blowers, 2 shovels and one roof rake. Try shoveling over 7 feet of snow! Back to the topic, this year I had a bad water leak in the rear bedroom area of my rig. Couldn't seem to get it to dry out or fixed after re-caulking seams, removing rear cap sealant and re-doing with Eternabond Tape etc. Finally, after the third re-tightening of the bedroom AC, this time going to Dometic's website and getting the torque settings for the mounting bolts, buying a 1/4" torque wrench and tightening the 4 bolts to 40 inch pounds I finally solved my leak problem. I don't know if last winters 120 inches of snow made the issue worse, or was it already leaking and I wasn't aware of it until I noticed dis-coloration on the vinyl ceiling. So this year, like just yesterday, I put away my rig with an Adco cover and I am impressed with the quality of it. For the $200 it cost me at Camping World it can only help. How much I won't know until Spring 2106.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never removed TV from any RV left in ares that get down too 30 below in NYS north of Syracuse in the lake effect area.

Never covered any rig I owned. Make sure roof is good and go for it.

I had a Shasta 32 foot from 1987 to 2003 with no leaks and then a 1992 park model till I sold it this ear. No covers No leaks.
But I did proper roof maintenance.

I own a 1990 Southwind that used to sit on the edge of Lake Ontario. Had roof leak but the previous owner did zero maintenance on roof. Fixed leak and no problems.
SO my experience has been that with proper roof maintenance you will be fine sans cover.

Poor maintenance you MAY OR MAY not be better off.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't have too much snow, I posted it few times with pictures of my carport.
You can buy couple of those "tent garages" and put them together.
Fence piping will make foot extension to raise it to RV roof level, while replacing the tarp with metal roofing will hold some snow.
You can build one for about $300 material cost, plus metal roofing if you go for this option.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the room a nice little pole barn is the ticket in the snow belt.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you should plan for weather changes.
My brother leaves at mountain footing and usually gets only few inches of snow, that melts in a day or 2.
Than 2 years ago he wakes on Christmas morning to have 3 foot of snow on his car and long driveway.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same question...I live in Northern Kentucky. When it snows we usually only get a few inches. There are winters that we have had heavy snow but not typical.

Do I need to cover?

Thanks for posting the topic
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I Used an Adco Tyvek cover for several years when we lived in western Washington. It held up pretty good. I used some PVC pipe laying on AC unit to form somewhat of a pitch to rain would run off better.
I cushioned the vent lids and ladder to protect sharp corners. Had to remove the radio antenna staff but not TV antenna. I would cushion the satellite antenna.
The cover lasted for many years.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker