cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toad is dead

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the middle of vacation and the vehicle we tow...dead. seems buying something else better then new engine. Want to tow four down with little to no modifications. Suggestions please. We had a standard tracker 4x4. An automatic would be nice but not necessary.

Thanks signed bummed at campground
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker
46 REPLIES 46

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Lets see ya get a Yamaha scooter INSIDE em. lol
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
How much is the engine? Setting up a new vehicle to tow if not DIY could cost $1000 plus for base plate & wiring by an installer. If you have a bike rack add a couple of hundred for a receiver hitch. Your Canadian taxes on a different vehicle can run up considerably more. A re-manufactured '04 tracker engine can be found on line for less then $2000. Plus installation of course. We towed a '96 Geo Tracker LSI 4 DR Automatic 4X4 for about 30,000 miles great little car.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2000 Nissan 4 X 4 auto XTerra. When I bought it the dealer said I couldn't tow it. The service manager said it could be. I Have towed it for 45,000 miles and no problems, no xtra wear & tear. I have had the front bearings checked every 5,000 miles, also the front Pumkin, steering etc. I have the auto tranny serviced every 12,000 miles. Not a sign of unusual wear. The vehicle now has 75,000 miles on the odometer, in addition to the 45,000 that it has been towed and are not on the odometer. I rotate the tires ever 2,000 miles that it is towed. All is good. Another Nissan service manager told me ö f course it can be towed 4 down with auto and 4 X 4, Nissan just doesn't want to deal with the warranty issues if they arise".
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2012 Honda Fit - auto - blue ox setup. love it. As another poster mentioned, the 2015 auto is NOT towable. Look for a used Fit, great toad option.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
A late model Saturn is hard to beat as a toad..mine just keeps going...I also have a Chevy Sonic and they are also good to tow..both with automatic (note the Sonic MUST be the 1.8L engine)....sorry to hear about your tracker..I see a lot of them here...and I think they were one heck of a toad..it's too bad Suzuki pulled out of USA.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Honda Fit or CRV

The 2015 Honda Fit is not towable because of the new CVT Transmission. Previous models were.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Honda Fit or CRV

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you want an automatic with no modifications, I'd suggest a used Honda CRV or Saturn. Both are good models and you should be able to find one in your price range.

We tow a Hummer H3, which doesn't require any modifications but they can be a bit pricey and they are heavy at 4,600 lbs.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Chevrolet Sonic automatic

Inexpensive
fun to drive
comfortable for a subcompact, maybe not for Paul Bunyon, Lerch or Ahnold
Easy on Gas
Light weight
Easy towing setup
Oil changes maybe 2x a year depending on driving pattern

23 months towing, no issues.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Check the recent tow guides from Motorhome magazine and FMCA. I believe all or almost all the Chevy products are towable, and many of the Ford cars.
Good luck, but I have read have a note on the purchase agreement that you will be using the car as a toad, that way if the manufacturer changes the rules you can make some type of claim.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
We've towed a 2003 Honda Element Automatic for years. About 20000 miles with no problems. Advertised as Towable 4 down. Always took 2 Yamaha 50cc scooters with us and 2 short Kayaks. One scooter fit nicely inside with the other on a MC carrier on back. The boats on top. Its the best I can think of. We now tow a Jeep. Fun but not as practical as the Honda. No scooters, no boats, no room. Newer Honda Elements(Exactly same car) say not towable 4 flat...???
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Burwoods wrote:
We are in the middle of vacation and the vehicle we tow...dead. seems buying something else better then new engine. Want to tow four down with little to no modifications. Suggestions please. We had a standard tracker 4x4. An automatic would be nice but not necessary.

Thanks signed bummed at campground

jeep. no mods needed, no time/speed/distance restrictions. makes for a perfect toad. most can...just be sure the specific model can be flat towed. if the transfer case has a *manually selectable* neutral position it can be flat towed.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
Jeep 4X4 can't flat tow a 2 wheel drive Jeep needs to be 4X4

Not just 4x4 but 4x4 WITH MANUAL TRANSFER CASE

their new all wheel drive with electronic transfer and clutches can not be towed 4 down. 2 down, or any other way, Must be trailered or flat-bedded.. Source: Jeep 2014 Liberty owner's manual.

:S The question was not about Jeeps. OP has/had a Chevrolet Tracker. He's asking what vehicles can be towed 4 down.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
John Wayne wrote:
Jeep 4X4 can't flat tow a 2 wheel drive Jeep needs to be 4X4

Not just 4x4 but 4x4 WITH MANUAL TRANSFER CASE

their new all wheel drive with electronic transfer and clutches can not be towed 4 down. 2 down, or any other way, Must be trailered or flat-bedded.. Source: Jeep 2014 Liberty owner's manual.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2014 guide is free

The 2013 guide is also free.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.