cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too big to travel? (45' X 101")

Let_s_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
New poster here! Looking for your advice before I purchase a new Motorhome. I'd like a 45' long class A that's 101" wide, but I see there are many States here in the US that you can't drive something that big in. Would I be better to get something under 40'? Even then most of the big DP's are wider that 8'. I must be missing something here? Taking my info from the web, specifically HERE. I can't believe all these coaches are built this big if you can't drive them across the US. We will have a small toad, so the parks and tourist sites are no problem. Just need to know that we can actually cross the state and get to where we can drive the toad to the places we want to see. What do all of you with the big motorcoaches do?
37 REPLIES 37

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
It's 102 inches wide, not including rear view mirrors in the US lower 48 on any Interstate and they have to give you a margin to access CGs and fuel stops, repair shops. Length in the US on Interstates is listed here.Wisconsin is 45 on the Interstates.

http://www.cmmonline.com/articles/231347-learning-about-agm-batteries

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's Travel wrote:
New poster here! Looking for your advice before I purchase a new Motorhome. I'd like a 45' long class A that's 101" wide, but I see there are many States here in the US that you can't drive something that big in. Would I be better to get something under 40'? Even then most of the big DP's are wider that 8'. I must be missing something here? Taking my info from the web, specifically HERE. I can't believe all these coaches are built this big if you can't drive them across the US. We will have a small toad, so the parks and tourist sites are no problem. Just need to know that we can actually cross the state and get to where we can drive the toad to the places we want to see. What do all of you with the big motorcoaches do?

It's somewhat of a moot point since there are no MH built to that size....unless of course you are going to build one from scratch!!
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
First of all welcome to RV.Net! In the State of Washington you are legal at 102" and 45' and you do not need a special license. However, if your tow vehicle puts you over 65' 6" you will need a over length permit, which you can obtain at any DOT Office.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:

I have no stickers of any kind on the dragster, and I do have a CDL with doubles, triples, tank, and Hazmat endorsements.

The "Not For Hire" gets you nothing in the eyes of DOT

smart on the dragster !
i agree regarding DOT.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
GlennLever wrote:

I have heard of that happening, but have not seen it YET

I'm 73 feet

apparently its happened at least once the drag strip in Ennis Texas (i wasn't there).

ive also heard stories about "private rv not for hire" coach owners who were busted for no cdl when the contents of the trailer were revealed to have contingency stickers on them.

in texas the combined limit is 65 feet....i squeak in right at 60 w/ the jeep wrangler but am over w/ the race car/trailer, in fact until now i thought the limit was 74 feet.

no one has ever bothered me....i guess we look like the amateurs that we are ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have no stickers of any kind on the dragster, and I do have a CDL with doubles, triples, tank, and Hazmat endorsements.

The "Not For Hire" gets you nothing in the eyes of DOT

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
I have seen 45'Monaco Signature coach towing a full size pickup pulled over for being too long. Highway patrol really watch this area for excessive length, (Tehachapi, Ca) Highway 58. They will nail you every time.

This is why I have not gone to the March meet. It is on my bucket list. I'm not sure how to get there with the dragster and motor home.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:

I'm 73 feet

apparently its happened at least once the drag strip in Ennis Texas (i wasn't there).

ive also heard stories about "private rv not for hire" coach owners who were busted for no cdl when the contents of the trailer were revealed to have contingency stickers on them.

in texas the combined limit is 65 feet....i squeak in right at 60 w/ the jeep wrangler but am over w/ the race car/trailer, in fact until now i thought the limit was 74 feet.

no one has ever bothered me....i guess we look like the amateurs that we are ๐Ÿ˜‰

Don R.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few months back there was a motorhome that came upon a stopped police vehicle that was trying to close off a lane on the freeway along with a DOT vehicle. The motorhome driver didn't see it in time and ended up running over and killing the police officer. I have no idea if the MH was complying with all the size limits or not (probably was) but I can assure you if you got involved in something like that the tape measures and scales would come out and they would be going over your RV with a fine tooth comb.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
bshpilot wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

Not too hard pressed because somebody posted a photo of one. And that manufacturer did make many more. I did a Google search and see they were well aware they were illegal and yet made and sold them anyway and people still drive them. I'm surprised a State Attorney General or somebody didn't shut them down. It looks like bankruptcy eventually is what shut them down.

people think my coach is rare....kingsley is even fewer in numbers ! its easy to fly under the radar when every coach is custom and your numbers are (probably) under 100 produced !

just cause you find pictures of it on the internet doesnt mean theres 100s of 'em.

i have friends that pull stackers w/ their 45' foot coaches (like mine) that are over the permissible length limits....theyve never been stopped & i know only one owner that does it properly (applying for permits & registering his route).....the manufacture (especially now that theyre bankrupt) had no liability...the owner / driver will.

left to traveling alone you'd probably never be bothered (over 45')....but go to a race event & the DOT/Troopers have been KNOWN to wait outside the track to check, weight, length & permits.

I didn't say there were hundreds of them. I said the manufacturer made many more. I'm just wondering why some government agency didn't shut them down. Car manufacturers would be stopped in a heartbeat if they tried to produce and sell a car for use on the streets that was not street legal.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe they manufacture coaches that are 101"wide anymore. My coach is a 02 and it is 103" wide then. So new coaches are not going to be 101" wide. Unless he is planning on buying an older coach without slides.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen 45'Monaco Signature coach towing a full size pickup pulled over for being too long. Highway patrol really watch this area for excessive length, (Tehachapi, Ca) Highway 58. They will nail you every time.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
For example California doesn't allow more than 40' on some roads such as parts of the Pacific Coast Highway and many of the two lane mountain passes.

When you drive a big rig you have to use some common sense, too. We would not even think of driving the PC Hwy 1 with a 45' or some of the mountain passes. We'd park it and drive safely and more leisurely in our Jeep.

We do, however, drive mountain passes with our 40', but not all. Again, common sense. We have no problems getting our 40' in public parks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
....but go to a race event & the DOT/Troopers have been KNOWN to wait outside the track to check, weight, length & permits.

I'm 73 feet

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Not too hard pressed because somebody posted a photo of one. And that manufacturer did make many more. I did a Google search and see they were well aware they were illegal and yet made and sold them anyway and people still drive them. I'm surprised a State Attorney General or somebody didn't shut them down. It looks like bankruptcy eventually is what shut them down.

people think my coach is rare....kingsley is even fewer in numbers ! its easy to fly under the radar when every coach is custom and your numbers are (probably) under 100 produced !

just cause you find pictures of it on the internet doesnt mean theres 100s of 'em.

i have friends that pull stackers w/ their 45' foot coaches (like mine) that are over the permissible length limits....theyve never been stopped & i know only one owner that does it properly (applying for permits & registering his route).....the manufacture (especially now that theyre bankrupt) had no liability...the owner / driver will.

left to traveling alone you'd probably never be bothered (over 45')....but go to a race event & the DOT/Troopers have been KNOWN to wait outside the track to check, weight, length & permits.
Don R.