cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too old to drive ?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I know the decision is mine and mine alone. But, I also believe input from those of you who have personally experienced and gone through similar situations will be of assistance to me. About a year ago, I ‘hung up the keys’ and sold our coach due to my age. I’m 80. I was concerned that my driving skills may have deteriorated over the years and that it might not be safe for me to continue ‘piloting’ the rig down the highway. The reason I’m posting this is because I really miss having our coach and am contemplating diving back into RV’ing. I badly miss having the ability to climb into the motorhome and take off for…wherever. Please, for those of you 80 and older, I would like very much for you to respond and let me know if you are still driving and at what age. Also, if you have ‘hung up the keys’, at what age and was it due to feeling there might be an inability to safely operate the coach at your age. Please feel free to provide any other information that might help me determine whether purchasing a new coach, at my age, is or is not a wise move. Many thanks!
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
42 REPLIES 42

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Guess I’m one of the luckier ones ..at 77 I still fly our plane but I usually take another pilot with me, not to fly the airplane as long as I am still alive but if I croak, it would be a shame to ruin a perfectly good airplane.

I think you ARE "one of the lucky ones". I got out of aviation a while back, after decades of flying and ownership, and I miss it dearly. Age 77 here, as well.

Currently own and drive a 43' Tiffin, but I miss flying. Enjoy, my friend. "shame to ruin a good airplane"....LOL.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Al!
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
goufgators wrote:
I know the decision is mine and mine alone. But, I also believe input from those of you who have personally experienced and gone through similar situations will be of assistance to me. About a year ago, I ‘hung up the keys’ and sold our coach due to my age. I’m 80. I was concerned that my driving skills may have deteriorated over the years and that it might not be safe for me to continue ‘piloting’ the rig down the highway. The reason I’m posting this is because I really miss having our coach and am contemplating diving back into RV’ing. I badly miss having the ability to climb into the motorhome and take off for…wherever. Please, for those of you 80 and older, I would like very much for you to respond and let me know if you are still driving and at what age. Also, if you have ‘hung up the keys’, at what age and was it due to feeling there might be an inability to safely operate the coach at your age. Please feel free to provide any other information that might help me determine whether purchasing a new coach, at my age, is or is not a wise move. Many thanks!

I'm the OP. Thanks to all who responded with many good suggestions. Here's what we (wife and I) are going to do. No more large class A's. We will, however, continue to have a motorhome but it will be a much smaller one that my wife will fill comfortable driving...probably in neighborhood of a 24 foot class c. She was never comfortable driving the class a's we've owned but she says she'll have no problem with the smaller 'C's. We will avoid major city traffic congested areas such as Atlanta. And, I'll continue to monitor my driving and when (if) I feel my driving is no longer safe or if my wife tells me it's unsafe, I'll hang up the motorhome keys for good and relinquish further driving to wife-mate. Again, thanks!

Again, props to you for being so aware. The good news is there are many really nice class C MH now, as compared to 10 years ago. Two slides, king bed, and so on. Good luck on your quest!!

Al

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:

I'm the OP. Thanks to all who responded with many good suggestions. Here's what we (wife and I) are going to do. No more large class A's. We will, however, continue to have a motorhome but it will be a much smaller one that my wife will fill comfortable driving...probably in neighborhood of a 24 foot class c. She was never comfortable driving the class a's we've owned but she says she'll have no problem with the smaller 'C's. We will avoid major city traffic congested areas such as Atlanta. And, I'll continue to monitor my driving and when (if) I feel my driving is no longer safe or if my wife tells me it's unsafe, I'll hang up the motorhome keys for good and relinquish further driving to wife-mate. Again, thanks!
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
danojeno wrote:
Did it seem that close calls became more frequent, or did you feel that the number 80 somehow meant that it was time? My dad was always a way better driver than me and I think that holds true now that he's 85. I feel bad that you may be unnecessarily putting yourself out of the game so I think a third party evaluation would be good for you. That way you'll have confidence in whatever decision you make.

Had one near accident on last trip when (embarrassed to admit) rubber-necking a vehicle accident along side the road. It might have been that near-accident that got me to thinking about my age and continued driving the 'big rig'. Reflex time or the diminished amount of reflex time is my main concern. At age, I'm sure my reflex time is not what it was at age 40, but just how much have I lost and is the loss of reflex time sufficient to warrant not driving a big rig? I believe it is and if we continue 'camping' it will be with a much smaller class-c.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am now 81 and we are full timing in our MH. I believe I will continue driving as long as I am comfortable in all traffic situations. Key for me is to always be aware of my surroundings and don't get in a bind with the traffic. We want to continue to enjoy the road in a safe manner.

Each individual must decide whether you can travel safely and by your driving skills keep all others on the road with you safe also.

Happy travels. Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
YOu need to have this discussion with close family & friends, who will discuss it honestly with you. Only those that know you can be of much help.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I turned 87 last Oct. Got rid of the Motor Home 2 years ago. Still drive the car. but my eye sight is failing. Already have lost most of my sight in right eye. Go in next week to see if they can do any thing with the left eye. If it goes I guess I will just sit here at home. Already have to sit very close to the TV to make out the writing on the screen. But I will keep moving about as long as I can walk. Good luck to all of you out there, just be careful.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
At 81, I'm still driving my 38 foot DP. Also sometimes tow my Wrangler.

I'm also currently downsizing to a Class C 25 footer as my comfort
level decreases and as the number of distracted drivers increase.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Too old to drive? At what age would you suggest they set the bar?
Some folks are well. born "Too old to drive" (They do not have the mental capacity)
Others appear to have the capacity but.. Well I recall dispatching to a rollover accident... 16 year old rolled his birthday present (Ford Mustang) My sister kept her's on rubber side down but ...... ditched it (no damage no injury) No injury in the rollover either.. I was driving home and passed her car.. hey That looks like Sister's car.. Backed up and looked IT is It is. how what do I do. Tow truck came over the hill (AH the solution) (Flashed my AAA card) Sister came over the hill and all was good. Oh she's now a lawyer.

Others .. Well her grandmother (My MIL) had a slight (terminal) case of Alzheimer’s and became very dangerous behing the wheel.. Daughter, Wife and I conspired to always provide her with a driver till her car was rendered safe (Battery FLAT Would not even take a charge Safe Parked in garage=Safe)

Others make it to 90 or even 100 without losing the ability to drive.

Some... Well Some are bottle babies with serious elbow disease (Brown bottles and the elbow bends too much bringing said bottle of booze to mouth. Many of these are like a man I once saw the history of
He had been ordered by multiple Judges not to drive
By his parole agent
By the Department of State (DMV in MI)
By his doctors
And he ran head on into a Jeep killing the young lady riding shotgun and seriously damaging her Intended the off duty police officer driving.

He was rewarded with a Uniformed chauffer and doorman for 20-life (Prison transport driver and guard) to take him wherever he needed to go
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I am 83 and have no plans to stop RVing. Never had an accident, nor a ticket in all those yrs.I can still drive 10 to 12 hrs a day towing a 34 ft TT. Before that it was a 40 ft 5 wheel.No one as far as I know is afraid to ride with me driving so far.I taught drivers how to improve their driving skill towing rvs for several yrs and that was scary as the 30 to 40 yr old thought they knew it all
samsontdog:o:W

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
Did it seem that close calls became more frequent, or did you feel that the number 80 somehow meant that it was time? My dad was always a way better driver than me and I think that holds true now that he's 85. I feel bad that you may be unnecessarily putting yourself out of the game so I think a third party evaluation would be good for you. That way you'll have confidence in whatever decision you make.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MT BOB wrote:
Being a mechanic, and have done towing and recovery,I really have not seen an increase of "accidents' from "older" persons,as far as RV's,

Crash rates per mile are shown to go up dramatically in the elderly. It's somewhat masked because many start driving fewer miles. For many, it nests in with retirement, so they go from a 40mile daily commute to they go 5 miles to the grocery store a couple times a week. So even if they are 4 times more likely per mile to get into a crash, they are still involved in fewer crashes because they are doing 1/10th the miles.

Of course, that is talking about them as a group. Some individuals are still spry and mentally alert. This is why a 3rd party assessment makes a lot of sense...of course, politically it's not likely to happen no matter how logical because old folks vote and giving up driving is often seen as the beginning of the end in terms of their independence.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
goufgators wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Do you feel more confident driving a car vs a Class A? Maybe a good compromise would be a 24 ft Class C or B+.

Thanks! I am more comfortable driving our car or my full size pick up. If we jump back in it will be a smaller class C.
Some other things to consider that may help, in a small C with no tow car would not only be easier to drive, easier to park and easier to set up your wife may share some of the driving which would reduce your actual time behind the wheel and make for a more enjoyable trip.